Canon Printer Cartridges -- Be Sure To Get The Right Ones!

I already posted about my problem -- I put in new cartridges, and
suddenly the colors were messed up -- but the solution struck me as so
unexpected -- the kind of thing that could trip other people up --
that I thought it's worth having an entire separate thread.

I don't know if this can happen with other brands, but it turns out
that Canon makes printers that use identically SHAPED ink cartridges,
but where the cartridges are subtly different colors. For example,
they have plain Cyan, Yellow, and Magenta; and then they also have
PHOTO Cyan, PHOTO Yellow, and PHOTO Magenta. (They even have these
subtle shade differences for black.)

Further confusing the matter is that the listings of the printer names
and types can be similar. So, here's my sad saga. I go to the store
and look for cartridges for my i860, and I see a cartridge that looks
like the right shape, and it's for some very similar model number (I'm
not sure what it was, the i800, or the i960, something like that).
Even the model number for the cartridge itself is VERY SIMILAR,
something like 6Y (for plain yellow) and 6PY (for photo yellow).
These things are easy to miss if (like me) you are more "conceptual"
oriented than "detail" oriented.

The point is, I get it home, and it fits just fine, except now the
colors are coming out funny. Turns out, after calling Canon tech
support, that I in fact had the wrong cartridge, which is why the
colors were off.

So, the moral is, you have to be very careful to buy the exactly right
type of replacement cartridge. I can understand that Canon wants to
use the same cartridge technology in different models, since I'm sure
it saves money to not redesign the shape for each new printer. But
you'd think they'd at least label them dramatically differently.

On a plus note for Canon, Tech Support had an 800 number that worked
(800 828-4040 in the US, in case anyone needs it), was open until
midnight on a week night, no charge for the call, I got through very
quickly, and the tech support representative was reasonably
intelligent and resolved the problem quickly.

The only downside was that neither the manual that came with the
printer, nor the Web site, ever suggested that the cause of the "off
color" problems might be that you are using the wrong darn ink! That
would have saved me some time....

Hope this can be of help to someone else.

Steve O.

"Spying On The College Of Your Choice" -- How to pick the college that is the Best Match for a high school student's needs.
www.SpyingOnTheCollegeOfYourChoice.com
20 answers Last reply
More about canon printer cartridges ones

    Steven O. wrote:
    > I already posted about my problem -- I put in new cartridges, and
    > suddenly the colors were messed up -- but the solution struck me as so
    > unexpected -- the kind of thing that could trip other people up --
    > that I thought it's worth having an entire separate thread.
    >
    > I don't know if this can happen with other brands, but it turns out
    > that Canon makes printers that use identically SHAPED ink cartridges,
    > but where the cartridges are subtly different colors. For example,
    > they have plain Cyan, Yellow, and Magenta; and then they also have
    > PHOTO Cyan, PHOTO Yellow, and PHOTO Magenta. (They even have these
    > subtle shade differences for black.)
    >
    > Further confusing the matter is that the listings of the printer names
    > and types can be similar. So, here's my sad saga. I go to the store
    > and look for cartridges for my i860, and I see a cartridge that looks
    > like the right shape, and it's for some very similar model number (I'm
    > not sure what it was, the i800, or the i960, something like that).
    > Even the model number for the cartridge itself is VERY SIMILAR,
    > something like 6Y (for plain yellow) and 6PY (for photo yellow).

    I thought a 6Y was a 6Y and was suitable for any printer that uses the BCI-6
    cartridges.

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:20:04 GMT, Ben Thomas <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote:

    >I thought a 6Y was a 6Y and was suitable for any printer that uses the BCI-6
    >cartridges.
    >--
    The OP had a problem when trying to use photo carts in his Canon i860.
    The Canon i860 is NOT a photo printer.

    It's a case of RTFM to see what the printer is for, how to use it, and the ref.
    of the cartridges.
    A photo printer will accept and print with photo cartridges.
    A non-photo might accept but might not print with photo cartridges.
    A bit like a car with a fuel tank will accept both petrol and diesel but might
    not run if the wrong fuel has been inserted.

    wrote:

    >I thought a 6Y was a 6Y and was suitable for any printer that uses the BCI-6
    >cartridges.

    In the message that you quoted, he says "6Y (for plain yellow) and 6PY
    (for photo yellow)" . So yes, a "6Y [is] a 6Y" but a 6Y is NOT a 6PY.

    >A bit like a car with a fuel tank will accept both petrol and diesel but might
    >not run if the wrong fuel has been inserted.

    Which is why they make different nozzles for diesel fuel, nozzles that
    won't fit in regular car tanks, because even smart people can make
    errors -- so the technology should be designed to safeguard against
    them. (Same reason they put asymmetic notches on memory chips, so you
    can't insert them the wrong way on your motherboard.)

    Occasional user error should be anticipated in design, if not, it's
    the design that's flawed, not the user.

    Steve O.

    SK wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:20:04 GMT, Ben Thomas <nosp@m.thanks.mate>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I thought a 6Y was a 6Y and was suitable for any printer that uses the BCI-6
    >>cartridges.
    >

    > In the message that you quoted, he says "6Y (for plain yellow) and 6PY
    > (for photo yellow)" . So yes, a "6Y [is] a 6Y" but a 6Y is NOT a 6PY.

    True. I've never seen a photo yellow cartridge before though. I though it was
    only cyan and magenta that could be made different and called photo whatever.

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    In article pete says...
    > The OP had a problem when trying to use photo carts in his Canon i860.
    > The Canon i860 is NOT a photo printer.

    You shouldn't be that emphatic that the i860 isn't a photo printer.

    The OP would have had the same problem if he had been careless enough to
    put PC or PM carts into the C or M slots in an i960.

    >The OP would have had the same problem if he had been careless enough to
    >put PC or PM carts into the C or M slots in an i960.

    The OP (me) was not careless, the product design and packaging were
    both inadequate in failing to anticipate easily-made errors. Tell me
    you've never grabbed the wrong product or item off a shelf when two
    different items were none-the-less very, very similar.

    Steve O.

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 03:11:31 GMT, Steven O. <null@null.com> wrote:

    }Occasional user error should be anticipated in design, if not, it's
    }the design that's flawed, not the user.

    True, but I am sure Canon shares the different cartridges to save money. It
    is cheaper to make and store 100 of one design (with different labels) than
    to make 100 of 10 different designs. The downside is you have to read the
    labels carefully...

    Later,
    Dave

    Absolutely. Human engineering for human use. We make these types of
    errors, we should design product that at least makes an effort to help
    us avoid them.

    Art

    Steven O. wrote:

    >>A bit like a car with a fuel tank will accept both petrol and diesel but might
    >>not run if the wrong fuel has been inserted.
    >

    > Which is why they make different nozzles for diesel fuel, nozzles that
    > won't fit in regular car tanks, because even smart people can make
    > errors -- so the technology should be designed to safeguard against
    > them. (Same reason they put asymmetic notches on memory chips, so you
    > can't insert them the wrong way on your motherboard.)
    >
    > Occasional user error should be anticipated in design, if not, it's
    > the design that's flawed, not the user.
    >
    > Steve O.
    >
    > On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:41:56 +0000, pete <pete@maildox.com> wrote:
    >

    >>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:20:04 GMT, Ben Thomas <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I thought a 6Y was a 6Y and was suitable for any printer that uses the BCI-6
    >>>cartridges.
    >>>--
    >>
    >>The OP had a problem when trying to use photo carts in his Canon i860.
    >>The Canon i860 is NOT a photo printer.
    >>
    >>It's a case of RTFM to see what the printer is for, how to use it, and the ref.
    >>of the cartridges.
    >>A photo printer will accept and print with photo cartridges.
    >>A non-photo might accept but might not print with photo cartridges.
    >>A bit like a car with a fuel tank will accept both petrol and diesel but might
    >>not run if the wrong fuel has been inserted.
    >

    > "Spying On The College Of Your Choice" -- How to pick the college that is the Best Match for a high school student's needs.
    > www.SpyingOnTheCollegeOfYourChoice.com

    In article Ben Thomas says...
    > True. I've never seen a photo yellow cartridge before though. I though it was
    > only cyan and magenta that could be made different and called photo whatever.

    In the BCI-6 range the only "photo" colours are Photo-cyan and Photo-
    magenta. In the BCI-3e range there is a BCI-3ePBk Photo-black as well as
    the larger pigment cart BCI-3eBk. Canon don't have a single cart Photo-
    yellow in any range.

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:13:02 +1300, colinco <colincomma@yawhoo.com>
    wrote:

    >In the BCI-6 range the only "photo" colours are Photo-cyan and Photo-
    >magenta.

    You are right... I just opened up my i960 since I am the idiot that
    said 6PY and there was a 6PC and 6PM along with the usual 6C, 6Y, 6M &
    6BK.

    Regards,
    SK

    In article Steven O. says...
    > The OP (me) was not careless, the product design and packaging were
    > both inadequate in failing to anticipate easily-made errors. Tell me
    > you've never grabbed the wrong product or item off a shelf when two
    > different items were none-the-less very, very similar.

    Canon did put a strip with the cart type eg 6BK,3eBK,6Y,6M and 6C on the
    printhead carrier where you insert the carts.

    One of the local brands of compatible carts has labels with rabbits,
    bananas, apples etc on them so that conceptual types can remember which
    one they need.

    Arthur Entlich wrote:

    > Absolutely. Human engineering for human use. We make these types of
    > errors, we should design product that at least makes an effort to help
    > us avoid them.

    Yes, yes, absolutely, I agree. No animal engineering for human use! I make
    these kind of errors too. We should primordially build "product" than will
    "help us avoid them"! It's a must. Otherwise we're heading fast towards a
    Brave New World and cake eating will never be the same again.
    -----------------------------------

    Art... I would have liked to understand your message, but your top posting is
    downright ridiculous. I don't want to read the whole thread to see if there's
    anything to get out of what you "try" to say here. Had you quoted a paragraph,
    it might have given me some idea of what you're talking about.

    Some things you wrote indicate you make enough sense to understand basic
    nettiquette. I mean, you're not a 13 years old dimwit. What the hell is going
    on? Is it your employer who forces you to top post so that only the person
    you're answering to can make something of the lingo you're spewing here?

    I'm dumbfounded.

    GP

    wrote:

    >Steven O. wrote:
    >> I already posted about my problem -- I put in new cartridges, and
    >> suddenly the colors were messed up -- but the solution struck me as so
    >> unexpected -- the kind of thing that could trip other people up --
    >> that I thought it's worth having an entire separate thread.
    >>
    >> I don't know if this can happen with other brands, but it turns out
    >> that Canon makes printers that use identically SHAPED ink cartridges,
    >> but where the cartridges are subtly different colors. For example,
    >> they have plain Cyan, Yellow, and Magenta; and then they also have
    >> PHOTO Cyan, PHOTO Yellow, and PHOTO Magenta. (They even have these
    >> subtle shade differences for black.)
    >>
    >> Further confusing the matter is that the listings of the printer names
    >> and types can be similar. So, here's my sad saga. I go to the store
    >> and look for cartridges for my i860, and I see a cartridge that looks
    >> like the right shape, and it's for some very similar model number (I'm
    >> not sure what it was, the i800, or the i960, something like that).
    >> Even the model number for the cartridge itself is VERY SIMILAR,
    >> something like 6Y (for plain yellow) and 6PY (for photo yellow).
    >
    >I thought a 6Y was a 6Y and was suitable for any printer that uses the BCI-6
    >cartridges.
    >--

    A 6Y is a 6Y, but I'm told the regular 6Y is a pigmented ink and the
    Photo cartridge (6PY) is dye based (or is it the other way around?).
    Anyways, they're supposed to mix like oil and water, so if you mix and
    match a Cyan 6Y, a Magenta 6PY, and a Yellow 6Y in the cartridge
    cradle, you can get some extremely weird results, as the dyes could
    repel each other. Normally, they'd mix to form intermediary colours
    like orange, green, etc. If the inks just don't get along, that's not
    going to happen.

    MCheu

    In article MCheu says...

    > A 6Y is a 6Y, but I'm told the regular 6Y is a pigmented ink and the
    > Photo cartridge (6PY) is dye based (or is it the other way around?).
    > Anyways, they're supposed to mix like oil and water, so if you mix and
    > match a Cyan 6Y, a Magenta 6PY, and a Yellow 6Y in the cartridge
    > cradle, you can get some extremely weird results,

    Nowhere near as weird as this post. Y = yellow. All the BCI-6 ink is dye
    based.

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:20:27 +1300, colinco <colincomma@yawhoo.com>
    wrote:

    >In article MCheu says...
    >>
    >> A 6Y is a 6Y, but I'm told the regular 6Y is a pigmented ink and the
    >> Photo cartridge (6PY) is dye based (or is it the other way around?).
    >> Anyways, they're supposed to mix like oil and water, so if you mix and
    >> match a Cyan 6Y, a Magenta 6PY, and a Yellow 6Y in the cartridge
    >> cradle, you can get some extremely weird results,
    >>
    >Nowhere near as weird as this post. Y = yellow. All the BCI-6 ink is dye
    >based.

    Oops. Yeah, most of that post was pretty messed. I'm responsible for
    the care and feeding of 3 different brands of printers, so I'm not
    always clear on the naming conventions for a particular brand or
    model. I just used the naming convention a previous poster was using.

    As for whether all the BCI-6 ink is dye based? Are you certain of
    that? My personal printer is a Canon i560 (recent purchase, so I'm
    not 100% familiar with it yet). The store clerk warned me about
    mixing the photo and regular inks for the reasons I stated, so if
    they're both dye based, what's the real difference then, aside from
    the photo inks being $2 more per cartridge.

    MCheu

    All BCI-6 ink is dye based. There is not photo yellow, just yellow. The only
    designated (by name) photo inks are Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta which are
    not as dark in color as the base cyan or magenta. Mixing the inks would
    result in no damage to the printer but the colors would be way off. The only
    pigmented ink used in Canon printers using BCI-6 cartridges is the BCI-3BK
    which is used for text printing and not for photos. This cartridge isn't
    used on the six color photo printers such as i950, i960, s820, etc.., but it
    is used on the five cartridge models such as i860, ip4000 and four tank
    models such as the i560 or ip3000.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    "MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:20:27 +1300, colinco <colincomma@yawhoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article MCheu says...
    >>>
    >>> A 6Y is a 6Y, but I'm told the regular 6Y is a pigmented ink and the
    >>> Photo cartridge (6PY) is dye based (or is it the other way around?).
    >>> Anyways, they're supposed to mix like oil and water, so if you mix and
    >>> match a Cyan 6Y, a Magenta 6PY, and a Yellow 6Y in the cartridge
    >>> cradle, you can get some extremely weird results,
    >>>
    >>Nowhere near as weird as this post. Y = yellow. All the BCI-6 ink is dye
    >>based.
    >
    > Oops. Yeah, most of that post was pretty messed. I'm responsible for
    > the care and feeding of 3 different brands of printers, so I'm not
    > always clear on the naming conventions for a particular brand or
    > model. I just used the naming convention a previous poster was using.
    >
    > As for whether all the BCI-6 ink is dye based? Are you certain of
    > that? My personal printer is a Canon i560 (recent purchase, so I'm
    > not 100% familiar with it yet). The store clerk warned me about
    > mixing the photo and regular inks for the reasons I stated, so if
    > they're both dye based, what's the real difference then, aside from
    > the photo inks being $2 more per cartridge.

    > MCheu

    Yes, it is my employer who forces me to do it.

    I'm self-employed.

    Art

    GP wrote:

    > Arthur Entlich wrote:
    >
    >> Absolutely. Human engineering for human use. We make these types of
    >> errors, we should design product that at least makes an effort to help
    >> us avoid them.
    >

    > Yes, yes, absolutely, I agree. No animal engineering for human use! I
    > make these kind of errors too. We should primordially build "product"
    > than will "help us avoid them"! It's a must. Otherwise we're heading
    > fast towards a Brave New World and cake eating will never be the same
    > again.
    > -----------------------------------
    >
    > Art... I would have liked to understand your message, but your top
    > posting is downright ridiculous. I don't want to read the whole thread
    > to see if there's anything to get out of what you "try" to say here. Had
    > you quoted a paragraph, it might have given me some idea of what you're
    > talking about.
    >
    > Some things you wrote indicate you make enough sense to understand basic
    > nettiquette. I mean, you're not a 13 years old dimwit. What the hell is
    > going on? Is it your employer who forces you to top post so that only
    > the person you're answering to can make something of the lingo you're
    > spewing here?
    >
    > I'm dumbfounded.
    >
    > GP

    I'm not a Canon user, but as I understand it, other than in Japan, there
    is only one set of inks per printer. In Japan, they have released a new
    set of longer fade resistant dye inks.

    Otherwise, there is only one set of Canon dye inks, except for black,
    per printer type.

    The "photo" cyan and magenta inks are simply low dye load (light dye,
    with a lot of extra water base) inks, while the non-photo inks are also
    dye, they are full dye load (darker).

    Black dye inks tend to bleed more than pigment, especially on regular
    bond paper, and aren't as permanent, and tend to run when wetted. So,
    in order to compete with laser output, they make a pigmented black as
    well. However, that ink will not blend properly with the other inks for
    photo use, so hence the black dye ink.

    Art

    MCheu wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:20:04 GMT, Ben Thomas <nosp@m.thanks.mate>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Steven O. wrote:
    >>
    >>>I already posted about my problem -- I put in new cartridges, and
    >>>suddenly the colors were messed up -- but the solution struck me as so
    >>>unexpected -- the kind of thing that could trip other people up --
    >>>that I thought it's worth having an entire separate thread.
    >>>
    >>>I don't know if this can happen with other brands, but it turns out
    >>>that Canon makes printers that use identically SHAPED ink cartridges,
    >>>but where the cartridges are subtly different colors. For example,
    >>>they have plain Cyan, Yellow, and Magenta; and then they also have
    >>>PHOTO Cyan, PHOTO Yellow, and PHOTO Magenta. (They even have these
    >>>subtle shade differences for black.)
    >>>
    >>>Further confusing the matter is that the listings of the printer names
    >>>and types can be similar. So, here's my sad saga. I go to the store
    >>>and look for cartridges for my i860, and I see a cartridge that looks
    >>>like the right shape, and it's for some very similar model number (I'm
    >>>not sure what it was, the i800, or the i960, something like that).
    >>>Even the model number for the cartridge itself is VERY SIMILAR,
    >>>something like 6Y (for plain yellow) and 6PY (for photo yellow).
    >>
    >>I thought a 6Y was a 6Y and was suitable for any printer that uses the BCI-6
    >>cartridges.
    >>--
    >

    > A 6Y is a 6Y, but I'm told the regular 6Y is a pigmented ink and the
    > Photo cartridge (6PY) is dye based (or is it the other way around?).
    > Anyways, they're supposed to mix like oil and water, so if you mix and
    > match a Cyan 6Y, a Magenta 6PY, and a Yellow 6Y in the cartridge
    > cradle, you can get some extremely weird results, as the dyes could
    > repel each other. Normally, they'd mix to form intermediary colours
    > like orange, green, etc. If the inks just don't get along, that's not
    > going to happen.

    > MCheu

    I think the confusion may be that Canon uses different dye colors for
    different printers, but some printers can FIT cartridges from the wrong
    printer.

    So maybe their "Photo printers" (CcMmYK) use a different shade or
    density of yellow (or other dye colors) than the printers which are not
    designated as "photo" printers, (those using CMYK only - 4 ink colors)?

    Just guessing...

    Art

    colinco wrote:

    > In article MCheu says...
    >
    >>A 6Y is a 6Y, but I'm told the regular 6Y is a pigmented ink and the
    >>Photo cartridge (6PY) is dye based (or is it the other way around?).
    >>Anyways, they're supposed to mix like oil and water, so if you mix and
    >>match a Cyan 6Y, a Magenta 6PY, and a Yellow 6Y in the cartridge
    >>cradle, you can get some extremely weird results,
    >>

    > Nowhere near as weird as this post. Y = yellow. All the BCI-6 ink is dye
    > based.

Printers Photo Canon Peripherals