• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

JavanBuddhi

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Hello everyone. I have what I feel is a decent system, but want to know if I should upgrade now or wait?

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ [barton]

Asus A7V8X-X

Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT

Mushkin PC2700 512 MB (2-3-3-6-2T)

Hitachi Deskstar IDE 160GB (is this a deathstar?)

Raidmax Scorpio case with some PSU (I didn't know any better at the time)

So far its run everything fine. But I want to know if I should upgrade now, or can this system suffice for now. BTW, If I don't upgrade now, I won't be able to for 2 years.

P.S. I built this system 2 years ago

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I reckon the system will suffice if you don't intend to do a lot of heavy gaming (Even if you do, i know that card should be alright for running recent games at low settings... since my bro has an OC'ed version of that card and still uses it for gaming), so i'm sure you can wait a few more months until Conroe and AM2 comes out... which also gives you time to save up some money to then dish out on a new, next-gen system

linux_0

Splendid
Hello everyone. I have what I feel is a decent system, but want to know if I should upgrade now or wait?

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ [barton]

Asus A7V8X-X

Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT

Mushkin PC2700 512 MB (2-3-3-6-2T)

Hitachi Deskstar IDE 160GB (is this a deathstar?)

Raidmax Scorpio case with some PSU (I didn't know any better at the time)

So far its run everything fine. But I want to know if I should upgrade now, or can this system suffice for now. BTW, If I don't upgrade now, I won't be able to for 2 years.

P.S. I built this system 2 years ago

If you can wait until June or later for the AM2 then wait otherwise......

Get the best nForce4 S939 board you can afford + an Athlon 64 3000+ or 3200+ RETAIL now, use your existing components if you want to save some $$$$ and then upgrade to a much better S939 CPU in June when AM2 is released and prices drop :-D

A decent nForce4 board will cost you $80-$100

3000 or 3200 = $135 - $160

VGA = $40 - $299 you can get a very cheap PCI-Express VGA now and upgrade to a 7900GT ( currently $299 @ newegg ) later on when prices drop

You could use your PC2700 for now and upgrade later or pickup a Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 2x512 for $66.95 :-D

Good Luck :-D

JavanBuddhi

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Nice ideas linux_0 and Bluefinger. Unfortunately, I don't think I made myself clear enough. My bad.

You see, My question was more on whether this system will survive the next two years, especially an upgrade to Windows Vista and Office 2007, both of which I have heard, have huge system requirements. I can't upgrade after May, for two years, until I pack off to college.

Otherwise, I will have to ask my dad for some money. (I am only 15, so your idea of saving money, Bluefinger, will not work) I think I would be able to garner abt 900 to 1400$. But I don't want to do this unless I have to.

Thanks for all your advice guys!

linux_0

Splendid
Nice ideas linux_0 and Bluefinger. Unfortunately, I don't think I made myself clear enough. My bad.

You see, My question was more on whether this system will survive the next two years, especially an upgrade to Windows Vista and Office 2007, both of which I have heard, have huge system requirements. I can't upgrade after May, for two years, until I pack off to college.

Otherwise, I will have to ask my dad for some money. (I am only 15, so your idea of saving money, Bluefinger, will not work) I think I would be able to garner abt 900 to 1400$. But I don't want to do this unless I have to.

Thanks for all your advice guys!

In that case wait until the last minute -- as long as you can wait for prices to drop ( there may be another price drop between now and May - so wait for as long as possible ).

Then since you will not be upgrading for 2 years get the BEST S939 system you can afford.

S939 3200+ and higher ($150+)

ASUS or DFI nForce4 motherboard ($100)

7900GT ($299) if possible

1 or 2GB Corsair value RAM Dual Channel Kit (either 2x512MB or 2x1GB sticks - do NOT buy 4 sticks)

Antec TPII 550W PSU ($80)

A decent Case ($50-$100)

Good luck :D