Problem with 6600GT AGP

soeddy

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Hi people i´m new here and i need help, i´m having big pros with my 6600GT
every time i played a game more than 1:30h green things appear but the frames doesn´t change i don´t know what 2 do...

My Pc Spcs
Gigabyte - GA-8SIMLH AGP 4x
Chipset SIS651
CPU Intel P4 2.8HT
GPU 6600GT
Samsung 160GBx2
1024ram
display ViewSonic E70-3 16inches
OS - WinXp SP2
Plextor DVD-Rom
NEC DVD-Rw

demons54

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hi,
I hve the 6600gt card but BFG and when I overclock above stock speed I would notice the green patches on screen when I played games, but I noticed at the time I was running 350w psu and recently I chg to 520w psu and now I can overclock the video card played no more green patches.

Could be heat related, the changing of the PSU might have increased airflow as it was an uprated PSU.

I noticed when starting to overclock, I backed it off a bit and it was fine again, but it only started about 75% of the way through the 3dmark 2003 tests, so I assumed that heat buildup was pushing it past its limits for consistent (but not yet unsafe) performance.

Do you have case fans?, can you take your side off and blow air onto it to see if it stops it from starting to happen? Whats your system temp? do you know your GPU temp?

Sorry for the many questions, but it should lead you to the answer.

demons54

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hi,
Thats a good point 13th monkey, not only I chged my psu to 520w but I added case fans 4x80mm which helped lower temp in case that can be related to problem I forgot that. I hope that answers your question SoEddy.

How can you forget about 4X80mm's i'm surprised you aren't deaf by now :D

This is possibly the second post today I have seen with no case cooling, the oher one definately had zero case fans on a 2Ghz northwood (I think), this one I'm not sure on.

Thanks for the backup.

soeddy

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Hi again the temperature of hdds is 49º and 41º
GPU 80º
CPU48º
Main Board 44º

But when i play games without HDR the green patches doesn´t appear like AOE3 withou very high level of detail but thanks im going 2 buy more fans i only have 2 at the moment and i will change my power supply im using

Ever-Model MPT-301 P output MAX 300w

within 2 weeks i´ll give the situation point

Thanks...

80 sounds warm, mine peaks at 85 ish, when playing splinter cell, but BF2 is typically 78-80 I think, and I'm not comfortable with that temp but no artefacts.

Your PSU does seem to be a little light, can't remember the figure but you need I think > 20amps on 12V (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The mobo temp should be the case temp I assume unless it is northbridge temp, if it is case temp then the recommended temp is, I believe, < 40C, so you are running a warm systems, and the warm HDD might be classed as a little too warm, check the specs for max operating temp, you might find it is 50C or maybe 60C in which case you are ok.

Have you been using riva tuner to log temps whilst game is running? they do drop fairly quickly and they do change dramatically during a game depending on precisley what is happening, I see 10-15C swings during splinter cell.

Hope this all helps a little bit more.

soeddy

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
People thanks 4 everthing i solved my big problem 2day, i put a fun beside the case and i played Fable more than 2h without problem without green patches peolpe thanks 2morrow i´ll buy the apropriate fun thanks again...

:D
6600GT GPU 62º