Sign in with
Your question

Which case with side panel?

Last response: in Components
March 20, 2006 9:20:17 AM

Im building a new pc and am set on getting a decent case with a side panel. I would like to know what you guys think about these two cases, pros and cons, or if you know of any other good cases with a side panel.

Antec P160

Or

Thermaltake Tsunami

Any help would be great, thanks.

More about : case side panel

March 20, 2006 10:27:12 AM

I would go with the Antec myself, I like the style...
March 20, 2006 12:53:57 PM

I would pick the Thermaltake since it has the side fan (to help cpu cooling) and "normal" hdd orientation. Not to mention it feels like it was machined out of a single piece of aluminum, very solid, sturdy feel.

Not that the antec is bad or anything, I have seen issues with side-saddle mount HDD bays and modular power supply connectors and depending on your choice of hdd data cabling it can look "squished" up when you shut the case lid...
Related resources
March 20, 2006 1:54:01 PM

Thanks for the advice and quick replys. But still cannot decide.
March 20, 2006 2:04:16 PM

If you've got the cash, a SilverStone TJ-06 is a great case. Got one myself, i have no complaints..
March 21, 2006 1:20:23 PM

Well i have changed my mind once again (this seems to be the hardest aspect for me lol). Found some other cases, which i'd like your views on:

Thermaltake Swing

Silverstone TJ06

Lian-Li V1000B-W

Few things, i want dont want a cover etc over the drive bays, cant be over £110 and must be well ventilated, basically good..I want it all dont i...
March 21, 2006 2:21:02 PM

Lol, im soo confused as to what case to get you would not believe! Why is the armour better than the Kandelf or the Swing? Except for the fact that you have that case heh.
March 21, 2006 8:19:02 PM

As a somewhat cheaper alternative to the Thermaltake, you might look at the ThermalRock Eclipse (same company, different division, I guess). It's not as big or as flashy, and doesn't have some of the bells and whistles, but it's quiet and has two decent 120mm fans to keep the air moving. Newegg's got it for $119, and I've been pleased.

DC
March 21, 2006 8:49:04 PM

May I recommend a Coolermaster?

Stacker 830

grille's at the side will allow you to see all your spinning flashing bits - they get annoying at night though :) 
March 22, 2006 12:03:11 AM

ok

first

SilverStone TJ06 = Aerocool http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

for helf the price

the lian li...yup..they are good but pricy

i would get the Aurora 3d thats a nice case or a kandalf they look nice, make sure u get the new kandalf's with the 25cm fan on the side

if u want a midtower range get the NZXT Lexa or the Nemesis (elite version is pretty worth less)
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 22, 2006 11:47:14 AM

For a "case that provides good noise reduction, sturdy construction, and quality appearance" and is a great deal take a look at the Coolermaster RC-531. This review was done by our own Crashman. At $60-90USD, you would be hard-pressed to find a better deal.
March 22, 2006 12:28:38 PM

Wow, i must say everyone here is very helpful and the responses have been great. I must tell you that i have decided, after much consideration, to go for the Antec P160W. I will let you know what it is like when i get it and put all my other components in it.

Once again thanks for all your replys :) 
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 22, 2006 4:22:34 PM

GL on the build and I hope you enjoy the P160!
March 22, 2006 4:53:50 PM

Quote:
Wow, i must say everyone here is very helpful and the responses have been great. I must tell you that i have decided, after much consideration, to go for the Antec P160W. I will let you know what it is like when i get it and put all my other components in it.

Once again thanks for all your replys :) 

Great choice!!! I have the P160W and absolutely love it. It's light, roomy and constructed very well. I think it has a classy look (as do others mentioned here) and doesn't have that gawdy gamer case look (my preference). I find the HD bay orientation as an advantage as I orient them so that the PSA and SATA connections are on the non window side which provides for better cable management. Since my rig is on the floor I also like the power/audio/USB connections at the top on the front.

I did just see the P160W for a good price ($81.99)@GottaDeal.com...http://www.gottadeal.com/....you may want to check out that deal if you haven't bought it yet.
March 23, 2006 7:46:24 AM

Thats good to know, as i will be using 3 sata hard drives ;) 
I have already bought it and it cost me £70.
March 23, 2006 7:16:23 PM

Quote:
Lol, im soo confused as to what case to get you would not believe! Why is the armour better than the Kandelf or the Swing? Except for the fact that you have that case heh.

Really confused as well. I wonder just how important the case really is? I don't think that any case will set fire to your components or make enough noise to keep you awake at night. I was looking at the Antec P180. I like it cuz it looks like a fridge, like its gonna keep everything inside chilled. But I have a hard time justifiying $100 for what is essentially a steel box.
March 23, 2006 7:43:50 PM

If price is not too big an issue, you won't be sorry with the Silverstone TJ06. As I mentioned in another thread same subject, the cooling for ram and cpu is excellent due to the BTX style motherboard orientation in the case. I don't agree the Aerocool is in the same league as the Silverstone whatever it's cost.

2x1024 Corsair XMS
X850XTPE
Creative Extreme Music
Sony P234
March 23, 2006 7:49:04 PM

Im a big fan of Tt cases and I like the tsunami's look. :D  I have the Kandalf and its' by far the best case I ever own and it has plenty of ventilation and space just like the Tsunami. :D 
March 24, 2006 7:15:11 AM

I think the most important factors are space and ventilation. After that its just a case of asthetics. The Antec P180 is meant to be a very good case and i would have gone for that one if it had a side panel.

Beware some caes you have to research into as i have heard, forgotten the case name, where you had to take the graphics card out in order to remove one of the hard disks, so some cases may look good but have problems like that.
March 26, 2006 8:32:21 PM

Quote:
Im building a new pc and am set on getting a decent case with a side panel. I would like to know what you guys think about these two cases, pros and cons, or if you know of any other good cases with a side panel.

Antec P160

Or

Thermaltake Tsunami

Any help would be great, thanks.

They both seem like great cases, but if I was making the buying decision, I'd go for the Tsunami one.
March 26, 2006 8:43:22 PM

Of the two choice the OP listed, the Antec P160 would be my choice.
!