Help ! SLI with FlightSim

jean

I have a frame rate of 42 fps with one N6600 and with 2 x N6600 I have 29
fps in mode sli with the jumper between the cards etc....

What is the problem ?

jean

jean

Ok find, bue what can be the problem ?

slower in sli mode ???

jean

"jean" <jyt@sympatico.ca> a écrit dans le message de news:
LlXoe.1901$_n2.300595@news20.bellglobal.com...
>I have a frame rate of 42 fps with one N6600 and with 2 x N6600 I have 29
>fps in mode sli with the jumper between the cards etc....
>
> What is the problem ?
>
> jean

>Ok find, bue what can be the problem ?
>
>slower in sli mode ???

Guess you will have to look for settings in Windows, video drivers or
the BIOS, doesn't look like someone else has a SLI configuration to
help out. It certainly should not be that slower so I guess something
is not set right, make sure you are using the latest NVIDIA drivers...

According to that link the drivers may need some tweaking to choose
between algorithms but that's really a shot in the dark, you'd better
ask on the dedicated NVIDIA or video forums on the web for that kind
of help if no one else here uses this hardware
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2258

What about utilities like Rivatuner? Were they updated for SLI mode?

===
Best Regards
Katy

I am afraid that I can't help you -- but I am interested in any suggestions
that people may be able to give you. My son has just built a SLI based
machine - but at this stage he has only purchased one video card. I am
wondering if the technology is able to be used by the FS2004 programme? His
machine is also 64 bit - but I don't think that helps FS2004 in any way.
Maybe the fiture new versions of the Sim will use these new technologies.

Barry

"jean" <jyt@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I have a frame rate of 42 fps with one N6600 and with 2 x N6600 I have 29
> fps in mode sli with the jumper between the cards etc....
>
> What is the problem ?
>
> jean

I just went through this decision.
SLI support in FS9 is an unknown I think at this point. The general opinion
seems to be to wait for the next version before making MAJOR changes.
PCI Express will be the new GPU of the day I think, but this requires a mobo
to handle it. If going that route now, 1 card is the way to go until SLI is
verified for MSFS.
Dudley Henriques

"Barry Ward" <wardb3@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>I am afraid that I can't help you -- but I am interested in any suggestions
> that people may be able to give you. My son has just built a SLI based
> machine - but at this stage he has only purchased one video card. I am
> wondering if the technology is able to be used by the FS2004 programme?
> His
> machine is also 64 bit - but I don't think that helps FS2004 in any way.
> Maybe the fiture new versions of the Sim will use these new technologies.
>
> Barry
>
> "jean" <jyt@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> I have a frame rate of 42 fps with one N6600 and with 2 x N6600 I have 29
>> fps in mode sli with the jumper between the cards etc....
>>
>> What is the problem ?
>>
>> jean

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dudley Henriques wrote:

> I just went through this decision.
> SLI support in FS9 is an unknown I think at this point. The general opinion
> seems to be to wait for the next version before making MAJOR changes.
> PCI Express will be the new GPU of the day I think, but this requires a mobo
> to handle it. If going that route now, 1 card is the way to go until SLI is
> verified for MSFS.
> Dudley Henriques

Uncle Dudley, what is SLI? Not kidding.

Doing a google sends one to many pages expounding the benefits of SLI,
but all I can determine is SLI allows 2 graphic cards on one system.

Here is quite a good article about SLI and the GeForce 6600GT card.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1772/

By: Sander Sassen

There isn’t a single forum on the internet that doesn’t have at least a
dozen threads about NVIDIA’s SLI technology. Although motherboards
supporting NVIDIA’s Nforce4 SLI chipset are barely out yet and cards
faster than the GeForce 6600GT are far and few in between, the world
plus dog seems to want to own a SLI rig. I’d say kudos to NVIDIA for a
marketing job well done, as like the iPod every enthusiast, gamer or
case-modder wants to own one and brag about it to friends, family and
online.............
cut..................

Other pages, no info.....
http://www.sli-gamer.com/nitro-gamer.html
http://www.visionman.com/AMD-Gamers/VCPREGSSLI.htm
http://www.pccanada.com/

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Hi Bob and "woof" Akitas :)

I'm not really sure exactly what the ramifications of SLI are, but I'm
guessing it allows transfer of graphical data in two directions at once or
something similar that allows less resistance to the data transfer. It does
allow 2 PCI express cards with SLI support to be used on an SLI supported
mobo.
It's a fairly large investment to make the switch however and the rub seems
to be that for the sim anyway, the engine in FS9 might not allow the
performance increase everyone (including me :) is thinking they might get
by making the switchover from the high end AGP cards right now.
I'm fairly certain that FS10 will reflect this technology if you have the
equipment to allow it, but there's no way to be absolutely certain at this
point in time.
I know that posting on the forum and getting the feedback I did from
everybody here just saved me about 12 big ones. I stuck an EVGA 6800GT 256
in the box today to replace my FX 5900 ultra which everybody says is really
not all that good a card, and I have the increase I need for the time being.
SLI and PCI express is absolutely going to be the new way to go, but not
quite yet I think
Dudley
"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>
>> I just went through this decision.
>> SLI support in FS9 is an unknown I think at this point. The general
>> opinion seems to be to wait for the next version before making MAJOR
>> changes.
>> PCI Express will be the new GPU of the day I think, but this requires a
>> mobo to handle it. If going that route now, 1 card is the way to go until
>> SLI is verified for MSFS.
>> Dudley Henriques
>
> Uncle Dudley, what is SLI? Not kidding.
>
> Doing a google sends one to many pages expounding the benefits of SLI, but
> all I can determine is SLI allows 2 graphic cards on one system.
>
> Here is quite a good article about SLI and the GeForce 6600GT card.
>
> http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1772/
>
> By: Sander Sassen
>
> There isn’t a single forum on the internet that doesn’t have at least a
> dozen threads about NVIDIA’s SLI technology. Although motherboards
> supporting NVIDIA’s Nforce4 SLI chipset are barely out yet and cards
> faster than the GeForce 6600GT are far and few in between, the world plus
> dog seems to want to own a SLI rig. I’d say kudos to NVIDIA for a
> marketing job well done, as like the iPod every enthusiast, gamer or
> case-modder wants to own one and brag about it to friends, family and
> online.............
> cut..................
>

> Other pages, no info.....
> http://www.sli-gamer.com/nitro-gamer.html
> http://www.visionman.com/AMD-Gamers/VCPREGSSLI.htm
> http://www.pccanada.com/
>

> --
>
> (Smiling) boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dudley Henriques wrote:

> Hi Bob and "woof" Akitas :)

Kuma woofs back :)

> I'm not really sure exactly what the ramifications of SLI are, but I'm
> guessing it allows transfer of graphical data in two directions at once or
> something similar that allows less resistance to the data transfer. It does
> allow 2 PCI express cards with SLI support to be used on an SLI supported
> mobo.
> It's a fairly large investment to make the switch however and the rub seems
> to be that for the sim anyway, the engine in FS9 might not allow the
> performance increase everyone (including me :) is thinking they might get
> by making the switchover from the high end AGP cards right now.
> I'm fairly certain that FS10 will reflect this technology if you have the
> equipment to allow it, but there's no way to be absolutely certain at this
> point in time.
> I know that posting on the forum and getting the feedback I did from
> everybody here just saved me about 12 big ones. I stuck an EVGA 6800GT 256
> in the box today to replace my FX 5900 ultra which everybody says is really
> not all that good a card, and I have the increase I need for the time being.
> SLI and PCI express is absolutely going to be the new way to go, but not
> quite yet I think
> Dudley

2nd reply, first disappeared.

Thanks....

I've been following your progress with your new card and I believe you
made a wise choice. Especially in light of the review I sent in my last
message. I'm happily sitting here with my Ti4200/128 running 2 monitors
spanned horizontally, coping with the forward view down the runway being
split with the monitor edges. But it works ok......

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

I think FS10 will probably reveal support for all this new technology, and
that will be the time to upgrade for me anyway. I also believe FS10 will be
back engineered to allow it to run acceptably without all the hardware
upgrading for those who don't wish to go that route. Like everything else in
engineering, there will probably be a piece of the pie for everybody.
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>
>> Hi Bob and "woof" Akitas :)
>>

> Kuma woofs back :)
>
>> I'm not really sure exactly what the ramifications of SLI are, but I'm
>> guessing it allows transfer of graphical data in two directions at once
>> or something similar that allows less resistance to the data transfer. It
>> does allow 2 PCI express cards with SLI support to be used on an SLI
>> supported mobo.
>> It's a fairly large investment to make the switch however and the rub
>> seems to be that for the sim anyway, the engine in FS9 might not allow
>> the performance increase everyone (including me :) is thinking they
>> might get by making the switchover from the high end AGP cards right now.
>> I'm fairly certain that FS10 will reflect this technology if you have the
>> equipment to allow it, but there's no way to be absolutely certain at
>> this point in time.
>> I know that posting on the forum and getting the feedback I did from
>> everybody here just saved me about 12 big ones. I stuck an EVGA 6800GT
>> 256 in the box today to replace my FX 5900 ultra which everybody says is
>> really not all that good a card, and I have the increase I need for the
>> time being.
>> SLI and PCI express is absolutely going to be the new way to go, but not
>> quite yet I think
>> Dudley
>
> 2nd reply, first disappeared.
>
> Thanks....
>
> I've been following your progress with your new card and I believe you
> made a wise choice. Especially in light of the review I sent in my last
> message. I'm happily sitting here with my Ti4200/128 running 2 monitors
> spanned horizontally, coping with the forward view down the runway being
> split with the monitor edges. But it works ok......
>

> --
>
> (Smiling) boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Hello !

The framerate will decrease if you use SLI mode. Look at this site:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041123/index.html

Goran

"jean" <jyt@sympatico.ca> skrev i meddelandet
> I have a frame rate of 42 fps with one N6600 and with 2 x N6600 I have 29
> fps in mode sli with the jumper between the cards etc....
>
> What is the problem ?
>
> jean

>The framerate will decrease if you use SLI mode. Look at this site:
>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041123/index.html

Shows once more that FS does not behave like your run-of-the-mill
shoot'em up... I bet this has to do with the additional load on the
CPU (already taxed by FS itself) that SLI management requires.

Technology looks great but applications need to catch up and drivers
to be refined. I feel more secure advising Dudley to wait now, thank
for the link ;-)

===
Best Regards
Katy

"Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message

> Technology looks great but applications need to catch up and drivers
> to be refined. I feel more secure advising Dudley to wait now, thank
> for the link ;-)

I was just getting ready to post this link to your attention when I saw this
from you.

You may rest easy KT girl!!! Your advice, good as always, just saved me
exactly 12 hundred bucks. :)))

Dudley