Finally ordered: NOW HOW DO I OVERCLOCK THIS MUTHA

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Ok, so I ordered the X800GTO 256MB GDDR3 AGP

http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=search&item=14-102-609

I decided that the 6800GS was a bit more expensive, and with the extra 30 dollars I bought a little 4.1 speaker set up. (I recently bought an Audigy, and would like something than my little crappy speakers..)

So, I think I made a good choice, and I know it comes with the TRIXX overclocking software.

Now - I have NO 3rd party cooling in my computer, none at ALL... so I am wondering if anyone has any idea on what I should try to overclock to? I REALLY cannot afford to burn the card up, but would like to OC it a BIT. Nothing crazy.

Also - what are some cheap ideas to help cool the case/GPu down?

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
When you mean 3rd party... do you mean no case cooling or other fans besides your NB and CPU? If so, you need to remedy this fast.
Fans are like $2. You need fans, lots...more than most sports teams.

Good air flow is needed, essential...not an option.

sleepdeprived82

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I have clocked mine on stock cooling and its fine (sig). Can go higher I have had the core up to 570mhz but thats a bit overkill for my needs at the moment. The memory is the only disapointment on my card as that wont go very high, artifacts at about 540mhz.

The core should overclock well, i use the omega drivers overclocking tools and open the temp graph to keep an eye on it when I do push it.

To me the stock cooling is fine and I only have the Connect3d card cooler and it handles the overclock very well.

By no 3rd party cooling do you mean you have no fans apart form the cpu, psu adn gfx card?

If so I would at least add a back fan to expel hot air

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
When you mean 3rd party... do you mean no case cooling or other fans besides your NB and CPU? If so, you need to remedy this fast.
Fans are like $2. You need fans, lots...more than most sports teams.

Good air flow is needed, essential...not an option.

Yeah that's all I have, just the ones that CAME with the computer.

UGH. I wish someone would've mentioned it to me sooner!

I asked a few times, about some PCI coolers and people said DONT bother.

What should I get? Any suggestions? Any homemade remedy's? If they are cheap, like you say, how do I hook them up?

ALSO - A guy near me that builds computers ALWAYS suggests removing the side panel of his computer, the one you remove to access the components, to reduce heat, he claims, by 50%. I say this is HARMFUL because of the added dust, and the possibility of something getting INTO the machine... Should I do this? I keep my Case in the door of my computer desk...

What about a REAL fan pointed at the computer?

cleeve

Illustrious
What about a REAL fan pointed at the computer?

LOL, well that's the best fan setup you can get... take the side of the case off, and blow a fan into it. But it's kind loud though.

Case fans are cheap and sinply click into one of your power supply's extra molex connectors, or the motherboard. Look for silent ones if you care about noise. Still should be about $10 a fan or so, not a huge deal.

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
ALSO - A guy near me that builds computers ALWAYS suggests removing the side panel of his computer
[...]
Should I do this? I keep my Case in the door of my computer desk...
Buzz buzz buzz... it'll get loud [looks down, yeah, my case is open too atm, but it's only through laziness].

Get the card, run ATITool. Should give you a temp readout. It'll shift the clock up itself until you artifact, easy. You run Motherboard Monitor to check your temps, right? If they're fine, then forget the extra fans. Not necessary.

Course, if it's a Dell, it may not work, but if it's a Dell, you deserve it.

Really though, if you're as new to this lark as you sound, and if you're really worried about shortening your components' lives, don't expect miracles--and don't go too far.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
ALSO - A guy near me that builds computers ALWAYS suggests removing the side panel of his computer
[...]
Should I do this? I keep my Case in the door of my computer desk...
Buzz buzz buzz... it'll get loud [looks down, yeah, my case is open too atm, but it's only through laziness].

Get the card, run ATITool. Should give you a temp readout. It'll shift the clock up itself until you artifact, easy. You run Motherboard Monitor to check your temps, right? If they're fine, then forget the extra fans. Not necessary.

Course, if it's a Dell, it may not work, but if it's a Dell, you deserve it.

Really though, if you're as new to this lark as you sound, and if you're really worried about shortening your components' lives, don't expect miracles--and don't go too far.

It's a Compaq... ugh. I have to admit I was sold by the salesman... lol he convinced me it was GREAT.

As far as these Molex Connected fans, can someone point me in the right direction? Link one one newegg or something?

I've never really monitored my temp before. How do I do it? What temp is good? What's bad?

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
It's a Compaq... ugh. I have to admit I was sold by the salesman... lol he convinced me it was GREAT.
Heh... well, that's bad luck. May not have much in the way of expansion for extra cooling at all. You can get fans from anywhere. You'll likely have no room for 120mm, maybe not even 80, but they may not be necessary. Make sure your CPU heatsink assembly is clean & free from dust, too, won't you? That greatly affects its capacity.
I've never really monitored my temp before. How do I do it? What temp is good? What's bad?
Use motherboard monitor. Generally, the cooler the better. Anything over 60 is worrisome, 75-80 is nearing the breaking point of your silicon. ATITool will deal with the video card temps.