Nitrogen cooling

NickC

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Hi,

I read the nitrogen cooling article with great interest - how cool is that! Where on earth could you get them from?

Could someone/anyone tell me what i would need to make one? The MD of Aria Technology would like to know - possibly for selling them in the UK.. :D

Thanks

Jazmodo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well for what purpose would you want to nitrogen cool a pc ? The only concievable reason would be to create a Super fast Gaming or workstation...???

If its a server, it would be infentesimally cheaper to just by more servers/dual core chips for your current servers if you can...?

you would need the pc stored in a sealed chamber/case that has 0% humidity at ALL times, or water would condense, and even freeze on the chip/memory/etc...

you would also need a method of channelling nitrogen to the chip(s)... AND more importantly (and expensively), a place to source your nitrogen (unless you plan to make yourself, and these machines are in the region of £100K +, and fill a room...

Seriously, what use would the MD of Aria have for a nitrogen cooled pc ? unless he wants to play F.E.A.R or superpi at stupidly high speeds. You would be hard pressed to cool a pc/workstation/server on nitrogen indefinately...

NickC

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
hi jazmodo

yeah its for a gaming PC and all i have to do is get a report on how feasible it would be to sell them as a gaming system - the ultmate system!!

All feedback is very much appreciated!

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Hi,

Liquid Nitrogen cooling is not feasible for a stable gaming rig. It is only used by extreme overclockers for short performance tests.

Wikipedia has this to say about the subject:

Liquid nitrogen
Some people go as far as -199 degrees Centigrade. By welding an open pipe onto a heatsink, and insulating the pipe, it's possible to cool the processor either with liquid nitrogen (-199 degrees Centigrade) or dry ice. However, after the nitrogen evaporates, it has to be refilled. This method of cooling is only used for extreme overclocking trial runs.

Jazmodo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
In short, it would be as feasable as sending man to the sun... :eek:

The only way we can turn the nitrogen in the air into liquid nitrogen, is Extreme compression, only viable on the factory scale... you could possibly create small abouts of liquid air, (liquid nitrogen and oxygen together) on a smaller scale (1m2 ish?); but this would be extremely noisy, create large amounts of heat, and produce a highly powerful oxidiser, liquid oxygen, and so be a fire risk...

It would just be soo inviable, and extremely expensive to run a pc on LN2 (liquid nitrogen) for longer than a couple of hours, in which a setup like the "Toms Hardware" guys did.

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Leaving the costs and such of cooling with liquid N2 aside, you have to consider the electrical implications of this as well.

The guys at Tom's had to jack the VCore to 1.88V which is pretty damned high. Most overclockers know this addage, "Heat doesn't kill, voltage does", while letting your P4 or K8 roast at 90C will surely fry your cpu. Jacking the voltage up will do it much quicker than you think. Semiconductors only work properly in a specified voltage range, once you go outside this the doping materials start to behave eraticly. Electrons start to migrate, and subtances start to interact with each other that are normally inert at standard operational voltages.

My guess that running a P4 at 1.9VCore constantly would prolly have the CPU burnt in 6-9 months. I've never tried but nor do I want to with a $1000 processor.

Great Idea, but the costs of maintaining a system like that would be astronomical, and have a very short lifespan.

Sorry to be the storm cloud. :?

NickC

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
This is all a bit negetive and i appreciate the honesty guys. cheers

dare we dream that it may just work though one day?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Liquid Nitrogen is pretty cold but not practical when it comes to cooling pc. Well, at least not right now and some have done this before in boosting P4 to 5Ghz. The nitrogen's temperature is at -196c*/-321F* and cold down the cpu at -171c* boosting the cpu to 5Ghz. It was pretty cool but the test only lasted several minutes. Besides you can't just go to home depot and get liquid nitrogen and there pretty costly and a gallon would only last for several minutes. Possible yes, pratical not right now. :D

Link of the liquid cooled P4 at 5ghz.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/12/30/5_ghz_project/page3.html

Jazmodo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
nope. Its just chemistry... maybe in 50 years or so when we can cool better, but then, why not use the "future" tech, instead of nitrogen...

Best you can hope for is a more effiecient Phase-change cooler like the promethia or vapochill kits...

Liquid nitrogen is just too expensive, in both money and energy senses...

Jazmodo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
You can buy them in tanks from certain various industrial compaies cheap(the tanks are not).
Look in your phonebook...

Or if you're an uni student, just make up some crappy excuse to get to them.
As a vet student I have full access to them for certain wound treatments. :)

I doubt it would be cheap to create this into a Consumer Gaming PC as this guy wants to do.... :?

NickC

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
nope. Its just chemistry... maybe in 50 years or so when we can cool better, but then, why not use the "future" tech, instead of nitrogen...

Best you can hope for is a more effiecient Phase-change cooler like the promethia or vapochill kits...

Liquid nitrogen is just too expensive, in both money and energy senses...

What are these promethia or vapochill kits then? I have never heard of these. What do they offer a gaming system and would it be feasible to sell them in a consumer gaming PC?

Thanks guys

G

Sorry buddy. But if you have no clue about liquid nitrogen keep your hands off it. It's a stupid idea anyways; only useful for a show.

NickC

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
i dont intend to go anywhere near it, i just have to write a report to my MD on whether it is possible or not.

i think i have enough reason to suggest NOT to go ahead with it - at least for the next 100 years or so!

thanks for the info guys

cheers

surf2di4

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
is this possible?
yes!
is this practical?
maybe.
is this doable?
definetly!

what you really need to do it right.
1. a dry box with a top vent(just a hole with a piece of ruber over it).
2. a large bottle of ln2( about $100. us from praxair plus some rental fees).
3. a copper or barss heatsink although aluminum will work.

we have bottle of ln2 here where i work(i'am a machinist so the heatsink is a simlpe proposition for me.

the dry box can be acrylic for simplicty. 2 lines in 1 is for dry nitrogen to eliminate condensation. the 2nd is the ln2 line. and a 3rd one for all the cables. the only thing inside the box is anything on the mobo!

none of this is rocket sience, oh wait it is.lol.

i have actaully allready made my heat sink am in the procese of building my drybox so maybe sometime this summer i will be ready.

true this isnt viable for a day to day gaming rig but it would work for a couple a days at a time

karl

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
dude lol, those are phase change units and not LN2

ln2 is not practical, not safe, but can work if you want to OC the shit out of your rig for like a couple of hours.

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
The MD of Aria Technology would like to know - possibly for selling them in the UK.. :D
Wow. I'm truly scared. Aria have staff submitting real proposals, based upon information gleaned from internet forums? Professionalism at its best (although having dealt with your RMA system, this is little surprise).

But jesus, I mean, a 'liquid nitrogen cooler' is so wide of the mark to begin with.

dan_the_man_23

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
Hi,

I read the nitrogen cooling article with great interest - how cool is that! Where on earth could you get them from?

Could someone/anyone tell me what i would need to make one? The MD of Aria Technology would like to know - possibly for selling them in the UK.. :D

Thanks

Liquid nitrogen's not worth it, first it cost a lot and secondly it vapourizes quickly, which means you have to buy lots of it, so its not worth it unless you have loads of money sitting around