ONCE AGAIN, DELL TALKING TO AMD

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
http://theinquirer.net/?article=30415

DELL IS IN NEGOTIATIONS WITH AMD to use its silicon, according to Indian IT news site Newkerala. Dell told a news conference in Bangalore that his company did not have an exclusive relationship with Intel and pointed out that Dell had already used AMD parts in 1986. "We are open to using parts of other manufacturers," Dell is reported as saying.

Thw real question is ¿WHEN?

Jazmodo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well this hasnt happened 50 times before...

I give it a week before its shot out of the proverbial water... :?

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yep, that's right and it will be. I don't foresee Dell as using AMD chips at all. It's too much of a transition for them. Not only do they have to change the main processors but, the entire boards too including new board vendors, chipset vendors etc. Dell is not in a position to do that right now.

Besides, why does it matter anyway? So many people here in the forum bash Dell to death as being junk when that's hardly the case. They're the number one computer manufacturer and they did it without AMD so why bother switching? It's not practical for them right now.

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
i think Dell needs to offer AMD CPU's in it's XPS series since it is gaming focused, and it wouldn't be such a huge change as doing that for everything let alone completely switching, if of course that is what they are planning

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
LOL!!! I can only assume he didn't read the entire article before posting that link. Overall nice job at making yourself look like a jackass 9inch! (again)

http://theinquirer.net/?article=30415

DELL IS IN NEGOTIATIONS WITH AMD to use its silicon, according to Indian IT news site Newkerala. Dell told a news conference in Bangalore that his company did not have an exclusive relationship with Intel and pointed out that Dell had already used AMD parts in 1986. "We are open to using parts of other manufacturers," Dell is reported as saying.

Thw real question is ¿WHEN?

I wouldnt be suprised if this was all just a threat to Intel to lower its prices and give em a better deal.

Either way intel will pull somethin out of its a$$ and remain the only dell cpu brand.

Atleast dell wont sell P4's for much longer as the main cpu thankyou conroe.

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Dell always gets the newest stuff to offer first from Intel, like the Conroe. Believe me, they are probably are working up a system on the new technology from Intel. If you don't believe that(like MadMod idiot Mike), you are in for a rude awakening! Dell and Intel are tight!

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
No they don't need to offer AMD at all. The one thing I will agree with is they are gaming focused now. So what makes a gaming PC? Graphics. Yes, the processor does come into play but Dell isn't about making a world class benchmarking machine. If they were, they would've switched to AMD a long time ago.

I just don't believe they will switch to AMD. Dell has a good thing going without them and they certainly don't need them.