Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

AMD 'MOST ADMIRED' SEMICONDUCTOR COMPANY

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Fortune
  • Products
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2006 2:24:04 PM

http://theinquirer.net/?article=30417

Quote:
IT'S NOT UNUSUAL to find that most company web sites tend to take a somewhat less-than-critical view of the organisation's achievements, but they usually stop short of mendacity. Imagine then, our surprise to discover here that "AMD is honored that FORTUNE magazine ranked AMD as a TOP 10 Most Admired Company for Innovation as well as the NUMBER ONE Most Admired Company in the semiconductor industry for both Innovation and Quality of Products/Services this year."

More about : amd admired semiconductor company

March 20, 2006 2:39:52 PM

Shame it's news from the Inquirer.... The Most unbiased site on the net ! :?
March 20, 2006 5:21:21 PM

Full quote from the inquirer

"IT'S NOT UNUSUAL to find that most company web sites tend to take a somewhat less-than-critical view of the organisation's achievements, but they usually stop short of mendacity. Imagine then, our surprise to discover here that "AMD is honored that FORTUNE magazine ranked AMD as a TOP 10 Most Admired Company for Innovation as well as the NUMBER ONE Most Admired Company in the semiconductor industry for both Innovation and Quality of Products/Services this year."
But on following the links, we find that AMD isn't exactly the number one most admired company in the semiconductor industry, but is actually ranked in fourth place after Texas Instruments, Applied Materials and (cough) Intel.
In the Most admired for innovation category, AMD comes in at number nine.
Whilst it's only natural that AMD is trumpeting its achievements, it would perhaps be more commendable if it wasn't being economical with la vérité about them. µ "

I am dissapointed big time. :evil: 
Related resources
March 20, 2006 6:27:53 PM

9 inch did it again! :lol: 
Killed by your own weapon:
"But on following the links, we find that AMD isn't exactly the number one most admired company in the semiconductor industry, but is actually ranked in fourth place after Texas Instruments, Applied Materials and (cough) Intel. "
Not too shabby!
March 20, 2006 6:33:32 PM

9-Inch:

You should consider NOT posting these misleading quotes.

Article title: AMD 'Most admired' semiconductor company
Article Subtitle: Oh no it isn't…

You take any peice of information (from the inquirer) and turn it into good information about AMD. I like AMD, but you've gone over the edge into losing your credibility. If you keep it up the result will be people no longer reading what you have to say because I almost want to say that I would lable you as a "liar". . .
March 20, 2006 6:59:01 PM

I'd admire them if they got you a new keyboard.
March 20, 2006 8:27:00 PM

I found this article quite funny considering the strong criticism on Intel when that FUD report was released. It seems AMD is not above bending the truth or outright lying either. Most admired company indeed.
March 20, 2006 10:42:46 PM

Quote:
inch did it again!
Killed by your own weapon:
"But on following the links, we find that AMD isn't exactly the number one most admired company in the semiconductor industry, but is actually ranked in fourth place after Texas Instruments, Applied Materials and (cough) Intel. "
Not too shabby!


Too bad you don't know how to read. If you'd like, I can give you some reading lessons. 8)
March 20, 2006 10:50:40 PM

And... I hardly ever see an AMD commercial on TV.
March 20, 2006 11:12:06 PM

Quote:
I found this article quite funny considering the strong criticism on Intel when that FUD report was released. It seems AMD is not above bending the truth or outright lying either. Most admired company indeed.


The Inquirer story reports that AMD reported incorrectly (or lied) about their ranking but more investigating, it is The Inquirer who made a mistake. If you look here, AMD is shown as being ranked number one in innovation and quality of product/services in their industry. In the entire rankings, they are not number one, but in their industry, they are. They are only number nine out of all the companies listed by Forbes in all industries (here), and all the companies listed are number one in their area. AMD never stated in their pr they are the most admired company, the headline clearly says and all of the news story that they are ranked in the top ten of Forbes list, which The Inquirer themselves has a copy of in their own news story, which they apparently did not read correctly. "AMD is honored that FORTUNE magazine ranked AMD as a TOP 10 Most Admired Company for Innovation as well as the NUMBER ONE Most Admired Company in the semiconductor industry for both Innovation and Quality of Products/Services this year." Yes, they are ranked as a top ten most admired company and they are number one in innovation and quality of product/services in the semicondutor industry. Which is exactly what Forbest list, and is exactly what the AMD press release states.
March 21, 2006 4:47:30 PM

9-inch:

I followed your link to fortune website and this is what I found:

1. AMD is number 9 in the 10 most admired for innovation

2. AMD is number 4 in the 5 most admired semiconductor company (after Intel)

3. AMD/Intel is nowhere found in the quality products listing. (I may have missed somthing).

So, AMD is truthful about most admired, but the second half of the phrase ..... well.... "pinochio"
March 22, 2006 12:43:56 AM

Quote:
Too bad you don't know how to read. If you'd like, I can give you some reading lessons. 8)


You are the one that needs a reading lesson. The article you posted was NEGATIVE press about AMD. You partially quoted it and presented it as POSITIVE press for AMD.

Is that a good enough lesson for you?
March 22, 2006 1:42:14 AM

Actually it is a misleading representation of the award as many of the people posting have been mislead and didnt think about it to much. Took me a few minutes of reading it and thinking about it to figure out the wording.

This is what AMD says:

Quote:
AMD is honored that FORTUNE magazine ranked AMD as a TOP 10 Most Admired Company for Innovation


If you look at Forbes listing here, they are not lying, they are ranked number 9.

Next the quote goes:
Quote:
as well as the NUMBER ONE Most Admired Company in the semiconductor industry for both Innovation and Quality of Products/Services this year.


They dont end at semiconductor industry... It keeps going to say they won the number 1 award for Innovation AND Quality of Products/Services.

If you click here you will see Forbes has indeed ranked them, in their industry, as yes number one for both Innovation, and Quality of Products/Services. AMD never claimed to be number 1 most admired for their industry overall, just in those two rankings. So no they did not lie the Inquirer is the one that didnt think it through and was being misleading probably unintentionally. Everyone is so ready to pounce on anything that sounds like the hint of a lie, take a deep breath, sit back, and stop caring so much in the future :D .
March 22, 2006 3:31:11 PM

Thx. 9 Inch is a pain in the arse to everyone(almost) no matter what they like(AMD Intel). He is just so found of posting BS it's incredible and his misinterpretation is also a good sign of "not brightness".

From fanboyism to clear fanatism,even stupidity there is a very long way. 9 inch traveled all of it. Jesus,break it up. You're ruining your own reputation.
March 22, 2006 4:50:57 PM

Quote:
Thx. 9 Inch is a pain in the arse to everyone(almost) no matter what they like(AMD Intel). He is just so found of posting BS it's incredible and his misinterpretation is also a good sign of "not brightness".

From fanboyism to clear fanatism,even stupidity there is a very long way. 9 inch traveled all of it. Jesus,break it up. You're ruining your own reputation.


I think he sums it up with this:
Quote:
The Inquirer story reports that AMD reported incorrectly (or lied) about their ranking but more investigating, it is The Inquirer who made a mistake. If you look here, AMD is shown as being ranked number one in innovation and quality of product/services in their industry. In the entire rankings, they are not number one, but in their industry, they are. They are only number nine out of all the companies listed by Forbes in all industries (here), and all the companies listed are number one in their area. AMD never stated in their pr they are the most admired company, the headline clearly says and all of the news story that they are ranked in the top ten of Forbes list, which The Inquirer themselves has a copy of in their own news story, which they apparently did not read correctly. "AMD is honored that FORTUNE magazine ranked AMD as a TOP 10 Most Admired Company for Innovation as well as the NUMBER ONE Most Admired Company in the semiconductor industry for both Innovation and Quality of Products/Services this year." Yes, they are ranked as a top ten most admired company and they are number one in innovation and quality of product/services in the semicondutor industry. Which is exactly what Forbest list, and is exactly what the AMD press release states.


I believe he made his self clear with this post.
March 22, 2006 5:13:11 PM

Quit posting fanboy bullshit!
It doesn't help anyone, especially the forumz.
March 22, 2006 6:02:45 PM

9-inch' posts are so oddball and dumb, I can't even make my mind if he is Intel or AMD troll.
Could somebody help me with this.
March 22, 2006 6:50:51 PM

It's about time you posted something with a credible source.

Fortune is about as good as it gets... good for AMD.
March 22, 2006 7:24:01 PM

Quote:
And... I hardly ever see an AMD commercial on TV.


I dont think that I have ever seen an AMD add...
March 22, 2006 7:27:10 PM

We should all thank 9-inch for providing information as it happens.
Well... we do have to totally reverse the sense of his posts but then we do have the news the way they are. And we get it LIVE as I said before.

God kill... err... bless BullSh!tter... err... 9-inch.
March 22, 2006 7:37:35 PM

I don't think one has ever aired. I was at an AMD conference back in 2001 and they swore to us they had a nationwide television ad campaign in the works. Obviously it never made it.

But if you think about it, chip ads are pretty much useless and a waste of $$$. A very, very small percent (probably less than .5%) of people in this world actually buy processors. And those that do (like us) make informed decisions- decisions not based on a television ad. Generally speaking consumers don't buy computers based on what brand of processor it has.

But enterprise does. And enterprise isn't influenced by television commercials. IBM's completely retarded consulting campaign has proved that.

The only reason you see intel ads plastered all over TV is HP, Dell, Apple share the cost of the ad with Intel. So HP, Dell, Apple etc essentially gets to air their own commericals at a greatly reduced costs so long as they mention "intel inside" or "leap ahead" or any of that nonsense. Intel essentially subsidizes the cost of OEM ads.
March 22, 2006 7:41:25 PM

Quote:
I don't think one has ever aired. I was at an AMD conference back in 2001 and they swore to us they had a nationwide television ad campaign in the works. Obviously it never made it.

But if you think about it, chip ads are pretty much useless and a waste of $$$. A very, very small percent (probably less than .5%) of people in this world actually buy processors. And those that do (like us) make informed decisions- decisions not based on a television ad. Generally speaking consumers don't buy computers based on what brand of processor it has.

But enterprise does. And enterprise isn't influenced by television commercials. IBM's completely retarded consulting campaign has proved that.

The only reason you see intel ads plastered all over TV is HP, Dell, Apple share the cost of the ad with Intel. So HP, Dell, Apple etc essentially gets to air their own commericals at a greatly reduced costs so long as they mention "intel inside" or "leap ahead" or any of that nonsense. Intel essentially subsidizes the cost of OEM ads.


I saw a commercial on Google Videos about the new AMD Athlon processor comparing to a Pentium, a train was being detracked or something where he had to quickly change it, and the Intel Pentium wasn't fast enough and the guy spatted "THE NEW AMD ATHLON PROCESSOR WOULD HAVE SAVED YOU" or something stupid like that, lol.

SideNote: A friend of mines Father worked for IBM back in the 80's and 90's, he took clients out and got them to invest in the company and purchase their products, I would assume most of the CPU companies would probably do things such as that as well. But, IBM Xed him over after he made them Millions, such a bastard company.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 22, 2006 7:47:21 PM

I think I remember hearing about or seeing that ad... it's been so long now though.