24in Sony crt monitor, any good??

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Im in the market for a large 24in+ screen for my new htpc. I have the rom for a crt so i figured i could save some mony by going with a monitor like this

24in crt

instead of going with a 24in Dell or Apple monitor. How does a CRT like this compare to the LCDs?? Is there any advantage to still getting an LCD even though i have the room for the crt?? Its about half the price so i could definitly save money going the crt route.
thanks
Frank

RichPLS

Champion
I have never used a 24" CRT, but many 21" versions for CAD and gaming...
Now I have Dells 24" LCD, first LCD other than several notebooks...
I will never voluntarily go back to a CRT again, LCD's are just that much better to me...

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Big and very, very power hungry. You'd have to buy a bigger UPS if it is a mission critical PC, too. I wouldn't do it, there are too many things that could go wrong and too many disadvantages. Either use a couple of 19" CRTs with extended desktop or better yet go LCD.

Just my opinion, and note BTW that I prefer CRT over LCD 75% of the time. 24" is just too big for a single monitor. Heck, I'd consider paying the big bucks for a projector before I'd go that route.

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Why is 24in to ig for a single monitor?? I dont understand what you mean exactly?? The 24in LCS screens get excellent reveis, do mean 24in crts or 24in screen in general??

hongkongphuey

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Dude, alot of the LCD/Plazma are still in their infancy. CRT's are cheaper, have higher response rates, higher resolutions, and cost up to 75% less than LCD. LCD are nice, and offer good real esate on the desk, but are you willing to pay $300 for 2.5 cf of desk space and run everything at a lower resolution then have at it. If you do, by all means dig deep and get the LCD, if not save $$, get CRT, get better GAMING/DVD quality, and with your saved money, buy a bigger desk or GPU. This is coming from someone who owns the both of them not just speculation.

HKP :evil:

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I listed some of the disadvantages. My personal experience with 24" CRTs is limited I admit, but even the 21" CRTs in general seem to have higher rate of failure, mostly due to the power requirements. This monitor weighs 92.6 pounds for one, consumes 170 Watts on average, while 24" vis LCDs use only 110Watts tops. In the long run, the LCD would be a better buy IMO. Also large CRT's still have to have that electron gun that moves accross every row 60 times in one second (at 60Hz refresh rate, or 70 times for 70Hz, etc.) which is alot of work when it's a large screen.

Remember though I can't speak about this specific model except about the specs I gave above.

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Im not sure which way to go. Its a hard descision, but I will most likely end up with the LCD since I have the extra money to spend right now. One other question I have is about the video card. The system i am going to use this monitor on is very similar to the setup in my sig, but with a newer crossfire mobo and an ATI X1300pro. So will my lower end video card be able to handle this large 24in screen?? If not, do i upgrade to a higher end card like the x1600?? Or do i just add a second x1300pro in crossfire mode? Im not a gamer, but i may want to check out a game or two in the future.
Thanks
Frank

RichPLS

Champion
Yes it will, but games will need to be run either at low details, or at lower res than 1920x1200...
It depends on your needs as far as 3D graphic horsepower goes...Might consider the X1800XT 256MB versions around $300

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I hope you have a strong desk to support that thing. I had (well still have it just don't use it) a 21" CRT and that thing weighs 75 pounds. It bowed my desk from the sheer weight of it.

So definitely don't put it on anything but a solid wood desk (not something you bought from walmart) or a metal one. My 21" weighing 75 pounds was enough for me. It was hard as hell to move around just because of how ackward it is to carry that big of a monitor. I know CRTs are better but I'll take my 5-10lb 19" LCD now. And I can run everything at 70Hz at 1280x1024 so I'm good.

miglaugh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Forgive me if I'm percieved as stealing the focus of the thread, but I think this side track may have some relevence because at it's heart this is an LCD vs. CRT thread.

Any numbers out there on how long LCD displays last versus CRTs? 5 years? 10? Do the pixels start dying one at a time? all at once? backlight burnout? etc.

I've had a dell 19in trinitron since 1998 and it's still crushing away. I'd like to think that a good LCD display would last a similar amount of time, but who knows. I've had my eye on the HP L2335 23in LCD, but $900 is a lot if it dies a year after the warrantee goes.

The relevant point for this thread is this: It's silly to compare CRTs to LCDs if in fact LCDs have no where near the life expectancy of CRTs. If you have the space and whatever else, and all you're comparing is image quality, price, and life expectancy, then doesn't it seem like for now CRTs win?

miglaugh

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
With 19" monitors, MY EXPERIENCE (not big on myself--all caps to indicate I have seen no nationwide study or anything) is that CRTs generally last longer. However, 21" CRTs will not last as long as 20.1" LCDs.

We are also forgetting that that Sony 24" is really only 21.8" viewable--so a 21" LCD is almost just as big. Hard numbers? Have none for ya...sorry.

RichPLS

Champion
I think most good LCD's will run at close to original quality for 3+ years, hence the warranty, and most should get 5+ years. usually it is the backlight first to go, and you can repair that if you choose.

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
CRT's scale better to different resolutions so you can pick the resolution that your graphics card can comfortably output, even different resolutions for different games.

CRT's generally have better contrast and truer colors.

But, as I look at my 19" monitors, and then at my kids LCD, I don't think I will ever purchase another CRT.

CRT's output HEAT.
CRT's output Radiation.
CRT's get REALLY BIG and REALLY HEAVY.
CRT's are probably more likely to emit audible noise as they age.
CRT's might create more RF noise (I'm just guessing here that the electron guns and deflectors are more prone to RF noise than LCD's).

LCD's have thinner sides and are easier to put side by side for a stretched desktop.
LCD's are lighter and easier to move (it was worth repeating).
LCD's use less energy.
Three 21 inch LCD's don't can be put on a riser without any special engineering requirements (Three BIG CRT's can crush normal furniture).
LCD's can fall on your head in an earthquake without serious injury.

But, CRT's are easier to clean, and the price is so damned inviting...

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
24" Sony CRT is seriously kickass! You'll be VERY disappointed when you look at at 22" LCD after seeing the gorgeousness that is superfine CRT!

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
if you do not get a video card capable of running at the lcd's native resolution (which on a 19" is usually 1600x1200... bigger for larger ones) then you will have to settle for an interpolated image. the x1300, even in crossfire will not do what you want for those larger screens on an lcd. A crt can scale down and display a smaller image on the larder screen w/ no quality loss. google up info on interpolation for lcd's if you need to know more on that.

I also own a trinitron 19" (someone earlier mentioned it) and I still love its image quality better than any lcd. Also, whoever said that crts fail more becasue of things like an electron gun and such are full of crap. A crt monitor is essentially the same (functionally) as a crt tellivision. My monitors and tvs at home are quite a few years old (all trinitrons except my one lcd) and perform as good as they did when new. If anything, watch the hour ratings on lcd backlights. that is the only weak point for lcd longevity, but not that bad since the ratings are very high. The newer ones w/ led backlights would be better. Regardless, all are reliable.

If you do image work or game, either at high resolution I see two things to look for: if you get the lcd, get a top-end video card ($300+) to power the high res requirements. If you dont want to spend the $ on the card, get that crt (as you stated you have the room) and you can have the lower res capable card look better than on the lcd.

crts are old tech, but not dead. Ever wonder why pro's that do top qual. image renders/manipulation and animation still use crts? watch a "making of" show on a movie w/ digital effects and look at the monitors in the background... all crts at the "working level".

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
19" is the cutoff for me. Anything larger is just too bulky, too hot, and too power hungry for my taste.

I have a 19" CRT I've used after dropping twice (accidentally) AND after spilling dr. pepper IN it (don't ask!). Bought it in March of 2001, have used it 365 days a year no problems.

I've seen more 19" backlights go out than I have replaced of every size CRT combined...

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I got my Dell 24' with a 3 year warranty for $799.

$898.00 shipped overnight with tax, I have no complaints! I love it

I had a 22" NEC CRT a few years ago and I can vouch for how heavy they are
and I had to RMA mine twice.

It is personal preference dude, but I think if you gave one a try you might not go back, remember if you buy it from Dell and you don't like it you can send it back for a full refund - shipping. I have done this with a laptop I bought from them and it was very easy.

kc5omo

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hey,

I have a ViewSonic G810 mon... large 20 in. If you are into gaming and price crt's are still the way to go. LCD still flicker but they are getting better.

BTW this is an older monitor but still works like a charm... CRT tech. is older but still very useful. They do put off a lot of heat though.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
ivoryjohn said:
CRT's output Radiation.quote]

Please. How many people here have brain tumors cause by their CRT monitor. Thats the same POS arguement as cell phones cause cancer. I can see being a little careful if your family is highly likely to get brain tumors or something, but in that case you'd be dead already from how many CRTs there are out there other than in your home.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
you feel better b/c of the refresh rate on crt's. lcd is a static image. the refresh rate on many cheap crts is horribly low, and many ppl dont realize you can set it higher on most midand high end ones. just look at a crt monitor out of the corner of your eye and you will see the "flicker" of the refresh. For me, anything under 80hz is sickening. Under 75hz and my head hurts. 60hz (where some ppl run theirs cause it is default for windows) flat makes me want to puke and i cant look at it for more than a minute w/o running away screaming...

lcd's dont have that issue, which is why in offices it is better to look at text on an lcd all day than a crt.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Thought I might add , I looked at your 24" Sony specs and I must say I thought it was a nice Widescreen CRT, I am assuming they arent making them anymore since I did a search for buying one or to get info and I either get Ebay or an old forum discussion on buying one from Ebay.

Buying a used CRT is never really a good idea, you might not have any warranty left and what if the "used" one you get is burned in or cabinet is dingy and yellowed, didnt see a black cabinet model but I didnt want to spend too much time looking.

I like a glass like finish on my monitor just like anyone else but with 1920x1200 on my 24" Dell you cant go wrong.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope you get a few years out of that used monitor with no problems :p