Windows 98SE registry problem

G

Let me explain the situation with my NEW computer...
------------
My setup is as follows:
1.4 Athlon w/ Thermaltake VolcanoII
Asus a7a266
512 MB Crucial pc2100
powercolor geforce2mx400 64mb
IBM Deskstar 40GB
SB LIVE! Value
Linksys Etherfast 10/100
Ambient Tech. 56k (intel)
Enermax 350 Watt PSU
------------
Anyways...I'll be in windows 98se, and then for no apparent reason, no matter what the cpu load is, no matter how cool the cpu is (like 114F) and no matter how cool the mobo is...i'll even have a house fan blowing into that thing....Windows will suddenly freeze, the screen will turn a very very dark blue/black with a few lines at the top. I will have to use the reset button on my pc case, and then it will come to a screen saying that my windows registry is corrupt, needs to be fixed, and the computer needs to be restarted. So i let it fix and backup and then it restarts...only to return to that screen, a few more times. Finally after maybe a couple tries it'll boot back into a backed up windows, with things not installed, programs unregistered etc etc. The thing is, it happens frequently, almost once or twice a day. I've decided to not use that computer for awhile until I find a fix.

Anyways, I want to know if it is a hardware problem. Broken hard-drive? (it reports no bad sectors and scandisk doesn't find anything unusual). Bad cpu/mobo?
Is it a driver problem? And in which case, what should i do about it?
And if it is hardware, which piece is the most likely culprit?

I hope all you anandtech enthusiasts can help me get down to the bottom of it. Thanks a bunch.

hartmanw

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the lines at the top of the screen are common with a hard disk not being plugged in properly if you might want to try plugging the hard disk in again, other than that have you put on paste on the CPU as without this your CPU will still overheat even with a huge fan
Just a few ideas
Killerkris

A Life, where can i download one of those from?

G

Lets see...I'll check the cabling but i think it's correct...it shouldn't be a heat problem, i got a house fan blowing right into the system.

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you installed the latest 4in1 from VIA? Do you have stuff sharing IRQ's? Mostly I encountered this type of problem when the NIC was sharing the same IRQ with the video card.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

Mario741

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2001
How did you make out on this. I am having the same problem. I also have AMD 900 Could it be the cpu?

Life is too short, don't mess it up!!