Intel Cedar mill good for gaming?

xxkillerxx32

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Hey guys I have a 775 socket motherboard and i need a new chip, I was told by someone to get the new Intel Cedar Mill but my friend told me its only for servers and wont be that good for gaming I doubt he knows what hes talking about but Id rather be sure and he also told me this chips run very cool you can get 20c idle with stock hsf is this true?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Should be fine. It also should run allot cooler compared to a Prescott. If memory servers.. 60w vs 115w?

As far as CPU designed for workstation and server, those are basically labeled for businesses, in my opinion. It doesn't mean you can't use them for home/gaming reasons.

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The new Cedar Mills (6x1 series or 6x2 series when released) should be just fine for gaming and will excel when Overclocked. It also depends on how well your motherboard allows you to OC the CPU.

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
yes they are out, and priced really well in my opinon!

Check newegg.com

I'm about to pick up a 651 (3.4gb), could probably clock it to 4ghz on air (a 20% OC)

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The 6x1 series is out but EIST is not yet available. When it is, it will likely be the 6x2 series. Also, prices will be lowered in April if that affects your buying decision.
It does mine and I'll be looking @ the 930/940 @ that time as it's likely that my 955x chipset will not be able to support conroe. :(
Although, a 930/940 will still be very nice @ 4.2+Ghz OC'ed. :D

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Cedar Mill is the 6x1. The 6x2 are VT enabled Prescott 2Ms and have been out longer than Cedar Mill. EIST support will come with the C-1 stepping to be released in April and they will probably be released as the same product numbers along with the higher clocked 3.8GHz 671. The 6x1 does not have VT support as that was meant for the 6x3 which was cancelled. No doubt all the 6x3 stock have been redirected to making Preslers which all have VT support.

And yes, Cedar Mill is released and the preferrable choice over Prescott. You should check to make sure you have a i945, i955 or i975 based chipset though. ATI and nVidia chipsets should work as well. The earlier i915 and i925 chipsets supposedly only support Cedar Mill on a case by case basis.

Hey guys I have a 775 socket motherboard and i need a new chip, I was told by someone to get the new Intel Cedar Mill but my friend told me its only for servers and wont be that good for gaming I doubt he knows what hes talking about but Id rather be sure and he also told me this chips run very cool you can get 20c idle with stock hsf is this true?

server only is BS, 20*c idle is bs - idle temp = room temp + more, and besides who cares idle temp - you actually USE the machine for something so meh.

dual core is like a matching single core in single threaded apps (so no great loss) but when it comes to future games and software (and the software currently supporting multi threading) it will boost conciderably.

Its worth it

If you have or can wait ~4 months concider a conroe - colder and faster.

20 C is pretty low. That's room temperature for crying out loud. I have heard of temps as low as about 23 C for throttled CPUs running at about 800MHz-1GHz with well-ventilated cases and huge HSF setups.

~26 C sounds a lot more likely. That's what I see on my 4200+ idling at 1GHz with a stock HSF and a well-ventilated case. It has a TDP of 89W, which is around what the Cedar Mills have. (Intel uses the UL method of 75% of peak power draw, while AMD uses 100% of peak power draw to compute TDP.) 26 C is a decent idle and I bet one will stay under 45 C under load if it is not OCed.

durbanpoison

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
i have a intel 630 and it idles at 22 and never gets over 35 under full load, i have and asus star ice cooler and it works amazingly, so with a similar HSF and the ceader mill you could get even cooler then that.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
yes they are out, and priced really well in my opinon!

Check newegg.com

I'm about to pick up a 651 (3.4gb), could probably clock it to 4ghz on air (a 20% OC)
Don't kid yourself....they hit 5.0 gigahertz on air. A prescott can do 4.0 for christ's sake...
BTW I've seen a 631 hit 4.9 100% stable with Thermaltake Big Typhoon

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
yeah, my 530 has hit 4 on a TT big typhoon without really trying...

I was gearing that more towards the original poster, it seemed liked they didnt have much experience so 4ghz seemed like a nice reasonable number

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4#Cedar_Mill

Quoted straight from Wikipedia, as it wraps it up very nicely:
"Cedar Mill

The final revision of the Pentium 4 was Cedar Mill, released in early 2006. This was simply a straight shrink of the 600-series core to 65 nm, with no real feature additions. Cedar Mill is expected to solve the overheat problems of Prescott, as it will have a 86 W TDP. Cedar Mill is a 65 nm core which will feature a 31-stage pipeline (just like Prescott), 800 MHz FSB, EM64T, HyperThreading and Virtualization Technology. Cedar Mill will also have a 2 MB L2 cache. Cedar Mill will be released as Pentium 6x1 and 6x3 at frequencies from 2.8 GHz up to 3.8 GHz."

It doesn't look like a server 'chip' to me guys.

Looks aimed at the gamer & video encoder market, etc

It would be 'OK' in a server / workstation role though, but you'd be better off with a Pentium D, Xeon, or the new Xeon Low Voltage CPU (at 2 GHz it is beating 3.6 GHz Xeons in performance) which is similar to what the Conroe will be later in the year.

20 C is pretty low. That's room temperature for crying out loud. I have heard of temps as low as about 23 C for throttled CPUs running at about 800MHz-1GHz with well-ventilated cases and huge HSF setups.

~26 C sounds a lot more likely. That's what I see on my 4200+ idling at 1GHz with a stock HSF and a well-ventilated case. It has a TDP of 89W, which is around what the Cedar Mills have. (Intel uses the UL method of 75% of peak power draw, while AMD uses 100% of peak power draw to compute TDP.) 26 C is a decent idle and I bet one will stay under 45 C under load if it is not OCed.

my P4c 2600 @ 3ghz/1.6525v idles at 45*c with stock cooling and a duct ontop of it and the HSF doesnt even get warm, i even tried cheap thermal paste and the current AC5 which i applied again to check it wasnt right but nope - 40's is the best it will with 2 boards. I have a dud, my mates 2800c at my house for lan idles colder.