WombleUK

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Well I'm about ready to throw this computer out the window at the minute...

I've got a homebuilt system that was waiting a few minutes between the power button being pressed and the system turning on. 6 months ago the system stopped booting all together so I did the usual process of elimination and narrowed the problem down to either the PSU or the motherboard. The PSU would turn on by shorting the appropriate pins on its 24pin connector and so I presumed it must be the motherboard at fault. Well 8 weeks later my motherboard returns and apparently its fine. So I wait another 5 weeks for a replacement PSU to arrive....

Now that I've replaced the PSU when I press the power button, all the fans turn on and the a couple of LEDs light up on my RAM for a little while but there is no signal from the graphics card and no beep codes even if I remove everything apart from the CPU and speaker. Now this seems bizarre since from what I could gather from google the CPU is checked before the RAM is checked on POST so surely the CPU is fine if the RAM is lighting up like that....?!

I'm guessing when the PSU died it fried something but I'm a student with absolutely no spare cash so I don't have many options when it comes to testing components.

PSU: Antec NeoHE 500
Mobo: Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI
CPU: AMD 3500+
RAM: Corsair 2x512
GFX: Gigabyte 6600GT GFX