Intel CEO Says Windows 8 is Not Fully Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

That´s a load of bull............... I have been using Windows 8 (with Classic Shell to bring the good old start screen) and Windows Server 2012 in many customers. ROCK SOLID so far, running all the previous applications and almost all of the peripherals are working flawlessly. Maybe there are bugs in the ModernUI interface, but I'm not using that one whatsoever. The good old Desktop is working like a charm, especially if you install Classic Shell to bring it to Windows 7/Windows XP start menu like interface. There's absolutely no true to these comments from the 50+ workstations and servers I have running on Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I think he's just royally pissed that MS is supporting more chip architectures than just the boring and crappy x86 that intel has fused its wagon to and hasn't had the foresight to ditch yet.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]firstonevorlon[/nom]That´s a load of bull............... I have been using Windows 8 (with Classic Shell to bring the good old start screen) and Windows Server 2012 in many customers. ROCK SOLID so far, running all the previous applications and almost all of the peripherals are working flawlessly. ...[/citation]
I'm sure that since your 2 systems are running good that surely means Windows 8 must not have any problems at all.

EnFission

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]firstonevorlon[/nom]That´s a load of bull............... I have been using Windows 8 (with Classic Shell to bring the good old start screen) and Windows Server 2012 in many customers. ROCK SOLID so far, running all the previous applications and almost all of the peripherals are working flawlessly. Maybe there are bugs in the ModernUI interface, but I'm not using that one whatsoever. The good old Desktop is working like a charm, especially if you install Classic Shell to bring it to Windows 7/Windows XP start menu like interface. There's absolutely no true to these comments from the 50+ workstations and servers I have running on Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8.[/citation]

You installed a prerelease operating system across your organization's network?! Holy sh*t if I was the CIO/CISO of your company I would fire you on the spot.

c4v3man

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFission[/nom]You installed a prerelease operating system across your organization's network?! Holy sh*t if I was the CIO/CISO of your company I would fire you on the spot.[/citation]
It's not prerelease any more, volume license customers can get it for deployment/testing in their networks. I've been running the RTM version on my work PC for over a month, and haven't experienced any bugs so far. I'm sure the start screen will shock people at first, but you rarely see it anyways.

I probably wouldn't roll it out to everyone before October 25th, but I'd definitely have a few workstations setup with it for compatibility testing in a large enterprise.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]EnFission[/nom]You installed a prerelease operating system across your organization's network?! Holy sh*t if I was the CIO/CISO of your company I would fire you on the spot.[/citation]

Yeah, a lot of companies' managements are very hesitant about upgrading.

Especially with beta software. Proposing a upgrade to a beta OS would get one laughed out of the conference room.

G

zybitch, come on man! Windows only stopped supporting more than 1 architecture just recently. Through the 90's, it supported MIPS, PowerPC, and Alpha along with x86. They then added i64. They only recently backed it down to 1 and now added 3 ARM vendors. Problem is, Windows 8 only supports ARM in the RTM version so it doesn't actuall support anything but little old x86 in its full form. While I'm sure Intel is annoyed, they wouldn't bite off the hand that feeds it just because of the ARMs race. This is likely a gaffe that they didn't intend to go public but one he wanted to warn his company and investors about. There could be problems with Win8 devices an I'm sure the audience needed to know that it wasn't Intel's falt :)

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I call BS. Ever since the Vista fiasco, Microsoft has been putting out finished products. I don't use Windows 8 but I didn't have any problems with the public prerelease that I tried before. I'm certain more nonsense articles are going to be surfacing for the next few months just to give some hack at a keyboard something to write about and get paid *rolls my eyes*.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I'd be more interested, and not so skeptical, about this assertion if there was some kind of indication of what the problems are. The 80/20 rule seems to suggest that the 20 is a lot of tiny little things that will otherwise be missed by most users. Knowing Intel, this probably means that MSFT hasn't gotten around to incorporating some unique scripts or something that serve for CPU optimization or the like. I believe AMD suggested that Win8 was better for Bulldozer than Win7 because of how task would be managed. Perhaps Intel's complaint is along those same lines - nothing major such as stuff not working, just stuff not running as crisp or efficient as they possibly could.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
What the hell is Paul on about. No specific bugs to report, just random bashing. WHAT ARE THESE BUGS YOU TALK OF PAUL?

I have been using the Windows 8 OS for developing over a year now and its been fine.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]What the hell is Paul on about. No specific bugs to report, just random bashing. WHAT ARE THESE BUGS YOU TALK OF PAUL?I have been using the Windows 8 OS for developing over a year now and its been fine.[/citation]
What makes Windows8 worth the price of admission for someone that already has Windows7?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Anyone else surprised Wolfgang wrote an article about Windows 8's failures based off another article from an anonymous source.

Lets start some more rumors..

Larry Paige sais windows 8 won't allow users to access Google with internet explorer, and they are blocked from installing Chrome.

Tim cook states iTunes no longer installs or functions on windows 8 and their dev team cannot get it working in time for release.

Sources say the Mists of Pandaria expansion does not install on the windows 8 OS.

obsama1

Distinguished
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]I think he's just royally pissed that MS is supporting more chip architectures than just the boring and crappy x86 that intel has fused its wagon to and hasn't had the foresight to ditch yet.[/citation]

Yeah, let's all use ARM in our PC's! /s

ARM is great, but x86 is undeniably more powerful.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Windows 8, I probably do what I do with 7 and pick it up with a student discount and than wait for service pack 1 or around there and instal it when all the weird problems are hammered out. I honestly expect bugs in everything when released and expect it to be 99.99% stable 3-6months down the road at the very least. (Not saying it's not stable right now though, just my view on software)

I view it as unavoidable even if you have a large beta because on retail release your program is put through it paces a lot more and thus more bugs are found.

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Tim cook states iTunes no longer installs or functions on windows 8 and their dev team cannot get it working in time for release.[/citation]
You say that like it's a bad thing...

halcyon

Splendid
I don't know whether or not I'm losing interest in the latest or what but I'm not looking forward to this release at all. ...but it may be a great product...for someone... somewhere.

G

There won't be much people buying in the first place to make Microsoft worry about bug annoyances. Just think of it as a paid Consumer Preview of Windows 8.

I am amazed that people forget that Intel has probably the largest software dev team in the world and yet they doubt what can be said. While most users may not see the bugs, it may bore more akin to the AMD Phenom TLB bug that did affect servers more than users and servers need near 100% stability.

That said, I don't see 8 as a viable upgrade for gamers or PC power users. For AiOs or Tablets, sure. But normal users will lose efficiency since Metro is designed for touch screens.

Strange to see MS alienate so many users for one group.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Paul is simply stating the facts and I believe his knowledge in the matter is very good! Also it is a fact that Microsoft has notoriously released unfinished products but that is their decision to make and ours to buy or not to buy.
As with most software it will evolve with patches and there really is no reason for it to be 100% on release, just as long as it has a stable framework.

Status
Not open for further replies.