Recommendations for Heatsink/Fan

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I built a computer system about 2 years ago, and it has been running fine, but it has always run pretty darn hot. Recently its been running so hot that it causes the computer to crash and reboot. When I checked the BIOS to see what the cpu temperature was it said it was in excess of 80 degrees C! Since I want to get a bit more usage out of this computer before I upgrade, I was wondering if anyone could make some recommendations for good Heatsinks/Fans for my CPU. My system has an AMD athlon xp 2600+ on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. I don't want to try water cooling right now because the insides of my case are a bit cramped. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Zorak

RichPLS

Champion
In excess of 80C is beyond the critical damage thermal threshold for AMD chips and damage could already be done...
Your heat sink probably is not seated properly, and now needs thorough cleaning and reseating at a minimum.
I assume fan is spinning, or you would have mentioned it...

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
ge0stuff is right, get that heatsink or one of these similar designs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103162

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835220004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835220005

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835220006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835183111

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835183107

These new types of heatsink will allow you to set up so that a fan will push hot air from your cpu out to the back and our back casing fan will suck it right out of your case.

I don't know why people still upgrading to the old designs ( yes, even the silent Zalmans) as these will blow the hot air from your cpu out, around inside your case. And you will need another 6 case fans to try to play with the air flow inside your case.

With the new ones, you only need 1 fan to pull the hot air and maybe 1 or 2 more fans if you have a heavy duty system. Otherwise, the fan of your PSU will take care of the other heat sources.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Thanks everybody for the recommendations. However, I still have a couple of questions. First of all, how would I be able to tell whether or not I've already done damage to my cpu (would it still be usable or should i get a new processor) ? If my processor is indeed fried, is it possible that did any damage to my motherboard? Also, I noticed some of these heatsinks are pretty heavy, do they require any extra kind of brackets to keep them held in place? And finally, if I did indeed seat my heatsink improperly when i built the computer, what is the correct way to do it or are there some instructions I could follow to get it right this time around? Thanks.

-Zorak

ge0stuff

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
If u want to see whether u have damaged your CPU or not try running some test u can find over the internet like super pi or something like that...

U can also try Sisoft Sandra or every benchmark but i think that if your computer starts then there is no prob...

Every Cooler comes with a kit depending on your MoBo...

I have installed my Thermaltake cooler on my ASUS with 4 screws, included in the packet, on the MoBo so there really no problem regarding weight...

As for the installation of the CPU u just have to be carefull when applying the fermal paste... Just try to cover every bit of the CPU...

If u r using stock Coolers you will possible find a tape glued at the bottom of the cooler which has to be removed...

I think thats all... hope i helped...

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Thank you ge0stuff, i think i might check out this cooler you recommended. The only thing though (and this might sound a bit silly) is that I cannot find the name of this cooler (so i can check out prices at different vendors) or find any price info on the site. I really appreciate the prompt responses (most places i check don't answer my questions), so thank you very much.

-Zorak

ge0stuff

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Llama_Man is right... BUT before u buy this one u must check if it fits on your MoBo..

I think that it doesn't fit in some MoBos because of some capasitors near the CPU...

And it isn't copper based...

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Llama_Man is right... BUT before u buy this one u must check if it fits on your MoBo..

I think that it doesn't fit in some MoBos because of some capasitors near the CPU...

And it isn't copper based...

He speaks the truth, friend :D

It fits my Asus A8N-SLI fine, but DO check first!

RichPLS

Champion
If you are not overclocking, the stock cooler will work fine. And if you are getting that hot, either it is dust filled or has a bad seat with heat sink.
Regardless, before buying a sink, first clean and reseat stock sink and observe temperatures... If still 80C+ than it is something else to look at, for it would not be the cooler that will solve that problem.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I went ahead and purchased some thermal paste so that I can try re installing the stock fan before i go out and purchase a new one; however, once I apply the new thermal paste and reinstall the heatsink, if i end up needing to get another heatsink, will i need to reapply the paste again? and if so what is the best way to clean it off? I got some arctic silver, but i don't remember what version it is off hand.

-Zorak

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
They'll be enough paste in the tube for more than one application. To clean off the paste, you can buy solvents for the job (look for something called "TIM cleaner" or similar). I think these are generally just a citric acid solution - basically, it need to be something that doesn't leave a residue when it dries.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
yes it is ok, i have used it many times.

I have a similar system in an older setup of mine... (what i upgraded from) same mobo and the 2700 proc oc'd. Definitely reseat that thing. Once you do check for the temps after running some hard tests. (any of the above mentioned or even a 3d mark or pcmark test) If the temps are getting close to that durring the tests stop them, dont run at that temp too long!

Also, DO NOT put too much paste on it. tiny drop spread on the chip is enough. should not be so much that is "squeezes" out when the sink is clipped on. too much can actuall heat things up. Hopefully you will be ok. If you are not oc'ing that stock cooler is fine though. If there are still issues then you may have hosed the proc with that heat...