Sign in with
Your question

Can you guys help me choose a motherboard?

Last response: in Systems
March 20, 2006 9:59:52 PM

I honestly can not decide between these 3 motherboards.

Asus A8N5X nForce4

MSI K8N nForce4

Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra

I will not overclock, but I do want a stable motherboard that should not give me many problems. It would also be nice if you guys have any experience with these manufacturers customer service, because I don't want a hassle there. Also, are there any motherboards under $100 that are better suited for me than the ones I listed? The rest of my system will be a 7900GT and AMD X2 3800. Thanks so much for any opinions. Also, if the PSU I get (FSP 450W) has 20+4 pin connector, will it work fine with the 24 pin motherboard? Or do I need an adapter?
March 20, 2006 11:36:38 PM

Quote:
I honestly can not decide between these 3 motherboards.

Asus A8N5X nForce4

MSI K8N nForce4

Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra

I will not overclock, but I do want a stable motherboard that should not give me many problems. It would also be nice if you guys have any experience with these manufacturers customer service, because I don't want a hassle there. Also, are there any motherboards under $100 that are better suited for me than the ones I listed? The rest of my system will be a 7900GT and AMD X2 3800. Thanks so much for any opinions. Also, if the PSU I get (FSP 450W) has 20+4 pin connector, will it work fine with the 24 pin motherboard? Or do I need an adapter?

Of the three you picked I recommend the Asus A8N-E. However, I would give DFI a strong look as well. As for the PSU, you will be just fine with a 20+4 setup.
Related resources
March 20, 2006 11:54:38 PM

One thing about that DFI, it doesn't say it supports X2 processors. However, a reviewer says he has an X2 running on it. Should I be ok with an X2 3800? Thanks for your help.
March 21, 2006 12:01:18 AM

Quote:
One thing about that DFI, it doesn't say it supports X2 processors. However, a reviewer says he has an X2 running on it. Should I be ok with an X2 3800? Thanks for your help.

You will be fine, it runs the exact same chipset as the Asus board. None of the Asus's boards on newegg say they support Opteron CPUs but Asus will tell you they all do for example. Anyway, all the boards support X2 per DFI's site.
March 21, 2006 12:16:44 AM

Ok, thanks for all your help.
!