Run, don't Walk...Color Laser....

Staples has the Konica Minolta 2300W on Sale for $299 (NO REBATE INVOLVED).

This is a GREAT Deal (If you have need of a Color Laser & know it's
limitations).

Now for the Kicker:

It's big brother, the 2200DL (network capable), is the same unadvertised
price.... $299

Run, Don't walk...
6 answers Last reply
More about walk color laser

    "DoubleEntendre" <potatoesjoe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Staples has the Konica Minolta 2300W on Sale for $299 (NO REBATE
    INVOLVED).

    > This is a GREAT Deal (If you have need of a Color Laser & know it's
    > limitations).
    >
    > Now for the Kicker:
    >
    > It's big brother, the 2200DL (network capable), is the same unadvertised
    > price.... $299
    >
    > Run, Don't walk...
    -----------------------
    Yeah... Watch the running costs!
    I take it these are US prices so Ill do a rough conversion. $375
    Australian.
    The black toner replacement is $180 Australian and the colour, $220 each by
    3 colours.
    That's $880 Australian (maybe $700 US for a replacement set of toners!!!

    At the prices they are selling toner, they could well give the printers away
    and still make a profit on the first recharge. If you're gonna run... Make
    sure you know which direction is away!

    Doug

    Warning... these printers use starter cartridges, which have about 1/3rd
    the toner in them from the normal replacement.

    Konica IS giving you the printer, you are paying for the toner in the
    printer at purchase, and they are hoping you will then pay many times
    over for the refills and transfer belt.

    BTW the transfer belt consumable number... it is used 4 times for each
    color print.

    Art

    Ryadia wrote:

    > "DoubleEntendre" <potatoesjoe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Staples has the Konica Minolta 2300W on Sale for $299 (NO REBATE
    >
    > INVOLVED).
    >
    >>This is a GREAT Deal (If you have need of a Color Laser & know it's
    >>limitations).
    >>
    >>Now for the Kicker:
    >>
    >>It's big brother, the 2200DL (network capable), is the same unadvertised
    >>price.... $299
    >>
    >>Run, Don't walk...
    >
    > -----------------------
    > Yeah... Watch the running costs!
    > I take it these are US prices so Ill do a rough conversion. $375
    > Australian.
    > The black toner replacement is $180 Australian and the colour, $220 each by
    > 3 colours.
    > That's $880 Australian (maybe $700 US for a replacement set of toners!!!
    >
    > At the prices they are selling toner, they could well give the printers away
    > and still make a profit on the first recharge. If you're gonna run... Make
    > sure you know which direction is away!
    >
    > Doug

    Anyone, that pays $1+ each for color copies at the local print shop, can pay
    this off very shortly, then if one is smart enough to refill, things began
    to fit in as a money maker. Remember, I did say "Limitations"....OK...Walk
    fast, don't walk normal....LOL...

    In article <d88Dd.106429$K7.7888@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    "Ryadia" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > At the prices they are selling toner, they could well give the printers away
    > and still make a profit on the first recharge.

    http://www.freecolorprinters.com

    That assumes one gets $300 worth of prints from the starter cartridges,
    I guess.

    I currently pay $.60 CAN (.48 US) for a color 8.5 x 11 laser copy in
    quantity (200 copy punch card). The printer costs $299 US. That would
    mean I would have to get 623 (at $.48 US/copy) copies out of it before
    it would break even for me.

    I just checked consumables cost. The drum is good for about 11,000
    color copies, so it won't need replacement (assuming it doesn't get
    damaged prematurely), for some time to come. The starter cartridges are
    good for 1500 copies each at 5%. They now call these "standard
    cartridges" and what used to be the standard cartridges are now referred
    to as "high yield" at 4500 copies each at 5% coverage.

    So, let's just say I use the printer for one set of "standard"
    cartridges (the ones that came in the printer) and I buy one set of
    "high yield" cartridges, which cost me $475 US for the set. That puts
    my investment at $774 US. (The "standard" cartridges are much more
    costly per amount of toner). For that amount, I could buy 1613 color
    copies at $.48US/each. Seems like a pretty good deal for the printer
    then... after all, it's going to give me 4500 plus 1500 copies, or 6000
    copies total for the same price.

    Except for one thing. That's "up to" 6,000 copies at 5% coverage per
    color. That means if coverage is 10% per color, I only get 3000 copies,
    and if it is 20% coverage per color, then I get only 1500 copies. And if
    I use 30% coverage per color, well that's only 1000 copies.

    I shoot very colorful dense color images. I fill the page when I make
    color copies, and I easily use 30% per toner color per copy, maybe more.

    So, suddenly, at 1000 copies (30% coverage per color), and I'm paying
    $.77.4 cents per copy rather than $.48, and I'm paying for ruined
    copies, electricity, insurance, and any maintenance costs, also. But
    that might equal the convenience and travel costs to the printer and
    back. I provide my own card stock at $.48 each, so that's a bust either
    way. But on the copies I get made, I only pay federal tax in Canada.
    The provincial I collect at point of sale, or my retailers do. If I buy
    the machine with toner, I have to pay both taxes on the costs, although
    I might have an argument that since there is only a $5 difference
    between the cost of the "standard" (1500 copy at 5% coverage) toner
    cartridges and the whole printer, that the printer cost is really only
    the price of the consumables in it, and therefore should be provincial
    tax free.

    So, the printer is literally given to you free with the purchase of the
    starter cartridges, just like many inkjet printers today. For people
    who actually do pay $1 US each for a color copy, this could be a
    savings, as long as they are going to print a lot of color copies, but
    only if they do not print dense photographic images.

    So, all I say is do your math before you buy.

    Art

    DoubleEntendre wrote:

    > Anyone, that pays $1+ each for color copies at the local print shop, can pay
    > this off very shortly, then if one is smart enough to refill, things began
    > to fit in as a money maker. Remember, I did say "Limitations"....OK...Walk
    > fast, don't walk normal....LOL...
    >

    > "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Warning... these printers use starter cartridges, which have about 1/3rd
    >>the toner in them from the normal replacement.
    >>
    >>Konica IS giving you the printer, you are paying for the toner in the
    >>printer at purchase, and they are hoping you will then pay many times
    >>over for the refills and transfer belt.
    >>
    >>BTW the transfer belt consumable number... it is used 4 times for each
    >>color print.
    >>
    >>Art
    >>
    >>Ryadia wrote:
    >>

    >>>"DoubleEntendre" <potatoesjoe@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>>INVOLVED).

    >>>-----------------------
    >>>Yeah... Watch the running costs!
    >>>I take it these are US prices so Ill do a rough conversion. $375
    >>>Australian.
    >>>The black toner replacement is $180 Australian and the colour, $220 each
    >
    > by
    >
    >>>3 colours.
    >>>That's $880 Australian (maybe $700 US for a replacement set of toners!!!
    >>>
    >>>At the prices they are selling toner, they could well give the printers
    >
    > away
    >
    >>>and still make a profit on the first recharge. If you're gonna run...
    >
    > Make
    >
    >>>sure you know which direction is away!
    >>>
    >>>Doug

    Excellent, you covered it quite well!

    I use about 15% color coverage in what I do, Refilling has worked wonders, &
    reading & knowing how to reset the other (not cartridges) consumables makes
    this a goose that can lay the golden egg.

    Again, excellent observations, limitations (key word).

    I guess we all strive to get the "best" for the buck/pound.

    Thanks AE

> [...]
    >
    > Art
    >
    > DoubleEntendre wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone, that pays $1+ each for color copies at the local print shop, can
    pay
    > > this off very shortly, then if one is smart enough to refill, things
    began
    > > to fit in as a money maker. Remember, I did say
    "Limitations"....OK...Walk
    > > fast, don't walk normal....LOL...
    > >

    > > "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Warning... these printers use starter cartridges, which have about 1/3rd
    > >>the toner in them from the normal replacement.
    > >>
    > >>Konica IS giving you the printer, you are paying for the toner in the
    > >>printer at purchase, and they are hoping you will then pay many times
    > >>over for the refills and transfer belt.
    > >>
    > >>BTW the transfer belt consumable number... it is used 4 times for each

Printers Brother Peripherals