Oblivion

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Oblivion
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 21, 2006 1:14:34 AM

What kind of Frames you all getting and what details with your cards?

More about : oblivion

March 21, 2006 2:28:05 PM

We are only getting Oblivion on the 4th of April (to me that's whats spreading counterfit software) and so I'm really eager to hear your findings on Oblivion... Hows the graphics, performance etc....
March 21, 2006 4:19:51 PM

Should we start this as the official thread for Oblivion preformance?
I get my copy in two days. I could always ask my friend to post results on
his machine. As he got his copy at 7:30pm last night.
Related resources
March 21, 2006 4:32:45 PM

Mine was pre-ordered from BestBuy months ago... but I just chose the cheap shipping so God knows when I'll get mine. DOH!
March 21, 2006 4:43:50 PM

Just picked up mine 10 minutes ago!

I'll let you guys know how it works on the X1800 tonight...
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2006 6:13:50 PM

Any performance numbers up yet, or just the small previews?
March 21, 2006 6:39:23 PM

Give it to us Cleeve!!! :p 
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2006 6:53:37 PM

First words I have heard are the X1900XTX currently beats the 7900GTX in Oblivion. Note, this was from a single user over on the [H] forums, claiming to have both cards. He states 10-15 fps higher with Fraps for the ATI. Brent jumped in and added the link stating NV Oblivion drivers due out tomorrow. So who knows if that was a clue based off his testing.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1033747&page=...
March 21, 2006 6:55:10 PM

Quote:

Beat you to it, though; I got mine just after noon EST, almost an hour before you did.

Of course, I've got an X800-series card, not an X1800-series card, so...

I'll still post the results (hopefuly) tomorrow. Gah. I'm on campus, in between classes, with my copy of the game in my backpack. Already rifled through its contents, (a little more dissapointing than Morrowind's, thanks to no jewel case, and an instruction book of thinner paper) so I'm just waiting out the day's classes and homework impatiently.
March 21, 2006 8:40:46 PM

Oh sorry I didnt notice this topic. I was wondering what you guys would suggest to be able to play oblivion decently (not lowest resolution with all the sliders down). My Geforce FX 5500 wont run the game at all.

AMD 2000+
Western Digital 80g Hardrive (brand new)
1280 corsair ram
Geforce FX 5500

My motherboard doesnt support PCI express, and I really cant afford to upgrade everything right now. I am hoping the video card you guys suggest will be able to play Vanguard when it comes out so I wont have to upgrade again for another year or so when I get a new motherboard and processor.
March 21, 2006 8:56:40 PM

try getting a 6800 gs agp or an x850 ... or even an x800 GTO if they make an agp version, I think they do ...

This should get you by for another year for 200 dollars or less, hit newegg or zipzoomfly they are pretty close at offering the best prices around :p 
March 21, 2006 9:07:52 PM

Quote:
Brent jumped in and added the link stating NV Oblivion drivers due out tomorrow. So who knows if that was a clue based off his testing.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1033747&page=...

Does anyone else find that kind of... odd... for a professional review site? Nest thing we know Tomshardware will preface all posts by, "ATI will have new drivers out" and so on. I am actually surprised Oblivion did not ship with new drivers seeing as they are a TWIWMTBP partner. At least this time we should get the drivers they test with--I think we are all tired of the, "We are using experimental drivers" that never reach consumers.

I wonder if any of the review sites will spend a bit of time dealing with IQ issues?
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2006 9:15:51 PM

Unlike Toms, the big boy reviewers frequent the [H] and B3D forums. We used to see Lars pop in here at times which was nice. I like seeing them take the time to join discussions with us little folk.

ANyway, It was in response to someone comparing his own X1900XTX to a 7900GTX super clock. Who knows if it was just helpful advice, a hint that things will change, or something else. I wouldn't read into it too much. I'm just posting for fun due to lack of real info.
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2006 11:05:22 PM

Quote:

I hate you ALL!

I'm just leaving the office now to go get my copy.

Damn, being sick and not calling a sick day (4 in 2 weeks is already much! :x )
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2006 11:09:01 PM

I have a feeling finding 'equal settings' is going to be an issue, and making a demo path as well.

The radiant AI alone is bound to F' things up if you can't disable it for benchmarking.

Anywhoo, I'm outta here. Gonna go find out for myself. 8)
March 22, 2006 1:36:49 AM

Quote:
Oh sorry I didnt notice this topic. I was wondering what you guys would suggest to be able to play oblivion decently (not lowest resolution with all the sliders down). My Geforce FX 5500 wont run the game at all.

AMD 2000+
Western Digital 80g Hardrive (brand new)
1280 corsair ram
Geforce FX 5500

I dont think your cpu can handle the game. But to find out for yourself go to: www.srtest.com/

and select The Elder Scrolls Oblivion and see if you meet any of the other requirments minus the gpu.
March 22, 2006 3:27:03 AM

Ok, I got the game and it seems really cool so far. It is also very user friendly. The graphics seem to be very nice but prob would look better if I had another card. I am getting 15-35 frames per second in open field areas. I am running at ultra quality with hdr at 1280 x 1024 with vertical sync on. I am using a 7800 gt. It looks pretty well but I can see the little rigid edges and it gets on my nerves. I would like it to be smoother and fluid looking. Anyone have it running smooth with no edges and running fluid? Anyway from my 3 hours of playing it seems like a very good game.
March 22, 2006 4:26:22 AM

Woodwork,
If the jaggies are bothering you, turn on AA and turn of HDR. I was noticing that they were pretty bad myself, especially on faces, until I turned on 2xAA. That helped a lot. I think the game looks pretty amazing without the HDR, but I also haven't tried it with HDR on yet.
March 22, 2006 5:13:27 AM

Thanks.. Its funny you mentioned that cause I was trying 4xaa and the rigid edges are gone. I dont really know all the technical crap behind these different methods but on this game as far as the rigid edges the 4xaa looks better to me. Maybe someone here could explain the difference between these two things. Its mostly on the models where I notice the edges using hdr. Anyone else notice this?
March 22, 2006 5:46:52 AM

With x1900xt and amd 64 3400+ 2.4ghz socket 754, only 1 gig of ram. Based on FRAPS Im getting 80- 120+ inside houses and dungeons, 29- 60 outside. Towns seem to hurt my frame rate more then open areas, in parts of the imperial city is where i saw drop to 29. Night time runs smoother. Setting are 1280*1024. All settings are as high as they go: tree actor item and object fade; all distance settings; shadows exterior and int.; specular distance; all water effects all on and details high. The only settings i don't have as high as they will go is Shadow filtering (low) ihavent tried higher; and self shadows are off. Self shadows are not working right on my rig, peoples faces have messed up shadows on them, and my horse looks like a zebra. Im playing with HDR and i have high quality 16X AF enabled in the catalyst control panel.
March 22, 2006 1:54:32 PM

Update:

Unfortunately, I had alot of work to do last night (actually I'm pretty busy for the next month) so I didn't have time to properly spend with oblivion, but I can give you my first impressions:

THIS GAME ROCKS.

I spent 15 minutes making a character, and the remaining 15 minutes I had staring in awe at the amazing graphics, detail, and minutia of the game world.

I never even got outside of the dungeon yet, but the framerate with my X1800 was SPECTACULAR. Smooth as silk... I was really surprised by that. But as detailed as the interiors are, this means nothing until I step outside and see how the system deals with the crazy amount of outdoor detail.

Still, I'm really wowed by this game.
March 22, 2006 2:32:30 PM

OMG WHERE ARE ALL THE SCREENSHOTS PEOPLE!
Hurry!

So, that srtest thing says my computer can run Oblivian, WITH my Fx5200 installed! HA HA HA!

So, tomorrow, when I *finally* get my x800GTO, do you guys think this game will be playable, or look crappy?

Here are my stats:

Sempron 3100+
1280 MBS DDR Ram
**X800GTO AGP 256MB**
160 gig HD
March 22, 2006 2:50:44 PM

i have no idea what my framrate is, but it runs silky smooth at 1440x900 widescreen =) with all the goodness turned up HDR the whole bit, i'm running a 7900 gt, opteron 144 at 2.6 ghz and 1 gig of corsair cas 2 ram. i played the game for about 6 hours yesterday and it is just amazing! i joned the guild of death last night and i have been having fun assasinating people like crazy, as soon as i get home from work i will post a couple of my screenshots.
March 22, 2006 3:13:31 PM

Game runs nicely on my system, I knew it would lol, the detail and the textures in this game are VERY nice. This game is straight up eye candy!

I had no luck picking up a copy at EBGames in the Seattle area because thier shipment got mis-routed so I tried the Bellevue area and they only had pre-order copies left , the extras had sold out before I got out of work :(  so I downloaded it with D2D lol, finished downloading at 1 am, was playing by 1:30

sweet game, was getting between 29- 80+ FPS never made it out of the sewer, caves were fun then looked like dungeon, guess you hit the sewers next? Will find out tonight, resolution was at 1920 x 1200.
March 22, 2006 3:25:52 PM

The 4th of April seems SOOOOOO far away....

Please, post some screen shots if anyone is willing to stop playing Oblivion for a while...
March 22, 2006 3:49:01 PM

Seems as though when the people whom have the game already, will only respond when all other bodily functions cease to work, and they feel like bragging about the game before going to bed all red eyed and HDr over dosed.... :lol: 

Thanx for the link Paul, but i'm on dial up (was a X1900 or broad band :lol:  ), so I'll just end up being more morbid if I had to see the marathon.... Damn, I've been waiting for a new RPG so long! I've even started to play NWN all over again - desperate times call for desperate measures.
March 22, 2006 3:50:03 PM

Unplayable on 6800gt. Frame rate under 10 outside of dungeon even with settings at pretty low levels.

Do anyone know why all the text is centered on the forums, its god awfull.
March 22, 2006 3:54:02 PM

Quote:
Unplayable on 6800gt. Frame rate under 10 outside of dungeon even with settings at pretty low levels.

Do anyone know why all the text is centered on the forums, its god awfull.

Would it be unplayable with the 6800gs?
March 22, 2006 3:56:46 PM

The ad from Newegg would be appropiate (sorry if it seems offensive as it isn't meant like it)... "You got to respect a game that forces you to upgrade"

I wonder how many people would actually consider upgrading if Oblivion is pulling performance down?
March 22, 2006 4:03:41 PM

Quote:
The ad from Newegg would be appropiate (sorry if it seems offensive as it isn't meant like it)... "You got to respect a game that forces you to upgrade"

I wonder how many people would actually consider upgrading if Oblivion is pulling performance down?

I upgraded to play City of Heroes.. from onboard to FX5200 a few years back! ha ha ha!
March 22, 2006 4:05:28 PM

I am, but not only for oblivion.

Ive never been able to fully enjoy other games since a while either and i think its a good time to do so.
March 22, 2006 4:19:48 PM

Really did not mean any offense with my post - just a bold statement... :roll:

Sorry bout that one! :wink:

But yes, Oblivion might cause many people to upgrade, but for other purposes aswell. Oblivion is right up there (if not beyond) with other titles that support HDr/Paralax Mapping to a great extent, so such an upgrade will support such titles and more to come.
March 22, 2006 4:22:56 PM

are you running that HDR w/ AA on? just curious as Nv cards cant do that and ati's can. FEAR is one game that forces you to run either AA or Soft shadows seperatly and not at same time... just wondering if this game lets you run both HDR and AA with your card? If so then I will prb get it as from the sound of it AA is a must and i just plain like HDR. I get mad if i cant run everything my card is capable of. i understand the reasoning for FEAR, and it is necessary but still... :( 

FarCry was an older game and yet released patches to allow ir to run HDR w/ AA but for new games I think they should have it all possible on release... just wondering.
March 22, 2006 4:23:03 PM

Unlucky for us people from the UK, its released 24th March.

I'm really hoping it will work on my Inspiron 6000 1.74ghz 1GB ram with radion mobile X300 laptop.
Its been ok running on other newish games but somehow I don't think this game is likely to work.
March 22, 2006 4:40:40 PM

hey, my old system (athlon xp 2700, asus Nforce2, radeon 9700pro AIW etc...) was built just to play hl2 and doom3... of course hl2 was pushed WAY back and doom3 hit a year after the hype as well but i did it based on what they said you would need to run the games... so ya, i'm sure lots will pull the trigger just for oblivion. I kinda had that game in mind building what I have now, although FEAR was what really pushed me. :o 
March 22, 2006 5:04:57 PM

Quote:
are you running that HDR w/ AA on? just curious as Nv cards cant do that and ati's can.

Unfortunately, the developers took the easy way out and simply turned the option off for ALL CARDS!!!

Ati owners don't even have the option, even though the hardware can handle it. It's kind of stupid... although maybe it can be forced through the driver. I haven't tried that yet...
March 22, 2006 5:17:24 PM

let me know if you can force it... if they just shut it off and i cant force it then i will not get the game. I believe in voting w/ my wallet and do not want to support that easy way out. Dont mean to sound "snooty" but i paid good $ for this system of mine and do not want to play uneccessarily cripled games. I am sure if you can force it then they will allow a patch later, but why should we have to wait for that patch?!

I am a programmer and understand that deadlines have to be met, but that is just plain lazy when you cripple half of the market b/c the other half cant enjoy the same thing. By enabling it they could show that Nv needs to fix their hardware so that they can do it too.

end of rant.
March 22, 2006 5:38:10 PM

Quote:
It's kind of stupid...

Like FarCry, Oblivion is a TWIWMTBP partner... Remember the FarCry HDR+AA patch that was never officially released -but- does work? Yeah...
March 22, 2006 5:41:29 PM

Quote:
i've never played these elder scrolls games and i don't have the time for any more games. still i wouldn't mind giving my comp a run at it just to see how it performed and how it looked. from the screenshots i've seen it looks damn good, especially since its a rpg where gfx isn't normally top of the list of things to consider.

is there perhaps a demo available or do you have to take a gamble and buy the game.

Yeah I won't be buying it either without a demo... I don't have the disposable income to take the chance on it not playing on my processor. Ive seen games, like Half Life 2, that people SWORE would never work well on my 3100+ and fx5200, and it worked AWESOME... and other games, like FEAR, where they said I would be able to play it decent, and it looks like garbage even at low settings and the demo was unplayable.

I played the Half Life 2 Demo first too, and was so impressed I went out that night and got it.
March 22, 2006 5:49:13 PM

yes, but that patch was once HDR became a reality for ati w/ AA on. FarCry came out long before HDR was even considered possible on then current hardware. This game is out AFTER HDR has been made real.

that is why it is crap that they cheese off on this and feed us half-baked graphics made to run on inferior hardware...

ok, NOW end of rant. ;) 
March 22, 2006 10:08:48 PM

Quote:

Recommended:
* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 1 GB System RAM
* ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card
Are U sure u had that frame rate? :?
March 22, 2006 10:50:08 PM

Quote:
are you running that HDR w/ AA on? just curious as Nv cards cant do that and ati's can.

Unfortunately, the developers took the easy way out and simply turned the option off for ALL CARDS!!!

Ati owners don't even have the option, even though the hardware can handle it. It's kind of stupid... although maybe it can be forced through the driver. I haven't tried that yet...If that's the case, it's not worth buying in my book.
March 23, 2006 12:12:05 AM

Its worth buying trust me. Anyone who thinks they want it and are questioning if they should get it should. Its possibly the best rpg I have ever played. Its not overly complicated and there are man different classes and ways to play the game. I am about 6 hours into it and it keeps getting better each hour.
March 23, 2006 12:32:02 AM

I'm running it at 1280x1024, V-sync (70Hz), High Details, 2x AA, Screen Effects to Bloom, and all Distant Rendering Options checked. Settings in the game all to the middle of the slider.

The game runs great and looks amazing. I just entered the sewers though so I haven't gotten outside.
March 23, 2006 12:52:49 AM

I just played it at my friend's house... I don't own the game unfortunatally. It ran at about 30 fps on his 6600. He had all of the quality settings on medium (HDR on) at 800 X 600.
March 23, 2006 1:00:59 AM

comon voko no broadband?? how can u live?
get like a 7800gt and use the extra 300 bucks for like a year of broadband
March 23, 2006 2:20:20 PM

I went and swooped up a copy last night, and all I can say is wow, beautiful graphics. I thought EQ2 had really nice graphics... but wow, Oblivion seriously has stepped it up another notch.

I Oblivion going to modify there game to take advantage of that new phyics card out? If so, man... umm i'll brb... afk...

~Maxiius
March 23, 2006 3:19:18 PM

:lol:  $300 a month for broadband to be correct - and then it's something like 512 with 2gig cap. We have only one telecommunications company, and that spells MONOPOLY. One day, when ADSL2 is full in the states I might be able to afford 1mb ADSL 3gig cap.
!