yoke&pedals AND joystick

Hello guys
I am currently flying fixed wings with CH yoke and panels .
I would like to start with helicopters and therefore install
an additional joystick . They should remain connected at all times and be
active accoding to whatever 'plane' I choose to fly with .
How do I go about setting this up ??? ( planes : yoke & pedals , helicopters
: joystick & pedals ).
I hope this is not a silly question but I hate screwing up a good working
system ;-}
Regards and happy flying
EddyV

In article <42a5aeef$0$1353$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl>,
eddyver@tiscali.be says...
> Hello guys
> I am currently flying fixed wings with CH yoke and panels .
> I would like to start with helicopters and therefore install
> an additional joystick . They should remain connected at all times and be
> active accoding to whatever 'plane' I choose to fly with .
> How do I go about setting this up ??? ( planes : yoke & pedals , helicopters
> : joystick & pedals ).
> I hope this is not a silly question but I hate screwing up a good working
> system ;-}

You're going to have problems getting this to work the way you want.
There is no problem *connecting* multiple devices. But what do you
expect to happen when for example the two throttles are set differently?
Or when the you want to use the stick and the yoke is not centered?
There is no way to disable one set of controls from an aircraft file.
Best to get a USB hub, put it someplace convenient, and plug in
whichever devices you want to use. Note: mark the hub, plug each device
into a separate port, and use the same port every time. The way Windows
identifies USB devices is wonky, and you confuse it if you plug the same
device in different ports.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Hello Eddy,
You should also invest in the Saitek X-45 stick/throttle combo.
It doesn`t have the "twist" feature, which you really dont want in Heli
simming.
The rudder pedals and this system work well plugged in together.
Do what Chris suggested and get a multiport hub. Leave the Yoke
unplugged............. Sparks,

I've done this and I disagree, respectfully, with the advice given
above. If you never have trouble with Windows forgetting about USB
devices, go ahead and unplug. But if you can leave all your devices
plugged in, it's less hassle to do it all in software.

Basically, you want to create two FS9 setups. This isn't hard. Go to
your FS9 directory and make a copy of your fs9.exe. Rename the copy
"fs9joystick.exe." Create a shortcut to this new file on your desktop
(or wherever you want).

Now, find your fs9.cfg file (usually in the "C:\Documents and
Settings/YOURUSERNAMEGOESHERE\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9" folder).
Make a copy and rename the copy fs9joystick.cfg.

Ready? Double-click on fs9joystick.exe or your shortcut to it. FS9 will
load, and you can start fiddling with the controller assignments.

First, go to Options | Settings | Controller Assignments, select the
joystick tab, and select your joystick from the pulldown list. Assign
away. Now, select your yoke from the pulldown list. DELETE any
assignments that duplicate your joystick assignments. Yes, I know
sometimes you can get away with not doing this. And sometimes you can
go to Controller Sensitivities and drag the sensitivity down to 0 and
the dead zone up to max. That often works, too. Doesn't work on my
Marchetti FS.260 though. Deleting assignments is the safest way. AND,
since you're doing this on a copy of your FS9 configuration, not the
original, it's easy to go back to your normal FS9 for when you use the
yoke.

Final result: you have two FS9 setups. One for joystick work
(fs9joystick), one for yoke work (fs9). The same technique can be
applied for other things as well (e.g., I have a separate setup for
MegaSceneries).

Hello David
I would like to thank you in person . The solution you put
foreward works like a charm . I only get an error message at startup
( in the added startup mode ) from my FSInn - FScopilot ( I select not to
load that program )
and once started again from my IVAO - IvAp user interface .
Do I have to reinstall those two programs ( and perhaps others ) in th
eadded configuration ???
Thanks anyway for your help
Best regards
EddyV
"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> schreef in
bericht news:1118178368.5001@forums.simradar.com...
> I've done this and I disagree, respectfully, with the advice given
> above. If you never have trouble with Windows forgetting about USB
> devices, go ahead and unplug. But if you can leave all your devices
> plugged in, it's less hassle to do it all in software.
>
> Basically, you want to create two FS9 setups. This isn't hard. Go to
> your FS9 directory and make a copy of your fs9.exe. Rename the copy
> "fs9joystick.exe." Create a shortcut to this new file on your desktop
> (or wherever you want).
>
> Now, find your fs9.cfg file (usually in the "C:\Documents and
> Settings/YOURUSERNAMEGOESHERE\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9" folder).
> Make a copy and rename the copy fs9joystick.cfg.
>
> Ready? Double-click on fs9joystick.exe or your shortcut to it. FS9 will
> load, and you can start fiddling with the controller assignments.
>
> First, go to Options | Settings | Controller Assignments, select the
> joystick tab, and select your joystick from the pulldown list. Assign
> away. Now, select your yoke from the pulldown list. DELETE any
> assignments that duplicate your joystick assignments. Yes, I know
> sometimes you can get away with not doing this. And sometimes you can
> go to Controller Sensitivities and drag the sensitivity down to 0 and
> the dead zone up to max. That often works, too. Doesn't work on my
> Marchetti FS.260 though. Deleting assignments is the safest way. AND,
> since you're doing this on a copy of your FS9 configuration, not the
> original, it's easy to go back to your normal FS9 for when you use the
> yoke.
>
> Final result: you have two FS9 setups. One for joystick work
> (fs9joystick), one for yoke work (fs9). The same technique can be
> applied for other things as well (e.g., I have a separate setup for
> MegaSceneries).

Ah, I forgot about that. I haven't tried IVAO client or FSInn, but I do
know that SquawkBox 3 expects fs9.exe to be called fs9.exe. Perhaps
your clients do the same. This is a problem if you are running an
alternate configuration that is not named fs9.exe with fs9.cfg.

A solution (which I admittedly haven't tried):

1. Give each of your two setups a name that is not fs9.cfg. I recommend
yoke.cfg and joystick.cfg.

2. Create a pair of "simple" batch files, yoke.bat and joystick.bat.

3. yoke.bat will have two line:

cd C:\Documents and Settings/YOURUSERNAMEGOESHERE\Application
Data\Microsoft\FS9\
copy yoke.cfg fs9.cfg

cd C:\Documents and Settings/YOURUSERNAMEGOESHERE\Application
Data\Microsoft\FS9\
copy joystick.cfg fs9.cfg

5. Do you see what they're doing? The first line puts you in the
directory where FS9's .cfg files are kept. The second one copies the
appropriate .cfg file over fs9.cfg.

6. Run the appropriate batch file, then fire up fs9.exe as before. It
should come up with the appropriate settings.

7. Or, if all of this really is too complicated, you can try the
plugging and unplugging solution described above.