My OC attempt, What do you think?

Running on a Gigabyte GA-K8NS
Crappy board for overclocking. No real options for voltage. Just like +.10% or something like that.

Athlon64 3200+ (754pin) @ 2.53Ghz
so thats +330Mhz
Its 2.2Ghz stock so I'm not sure which core that is...

2.50GB Ram @ 460Mhz
(PQI 2x1gb OCZ 1x512)
So thats +60Mhz
Ram timings suck ass.. but its the only way I could get the ram to run at 400Mhz bus. If I lowered the timings it droped to 200Mhz bus. Anyone have any suggestions?

XFX GeForce 6600GT
(AGP bus 81Mhz)
Stock (500/1000)
Current (585Mhz/1170Mhz)
So thats +85Mhz/170Mhz
I am quite proud of this one. Don't know why but I feel like this was an accomplishment.

All my calculations came to 8.5 or 8.6 % increase.. for everything.. is that right??? or am I calculating wrong...???

So what do you guys thing for my first attempt to OC??
Quake 3 gets 50.9FPS on highest settings.
I need to run 3DMarks next...
11 answers Last reply
More about attempt think
  1. Up the voltage on the memory. Most settings under 3 shouldn't be too bad, particularly on the OCZ memory.
  2. Hey thats great you got a 15% increase in CPU clock speed, kudos to you, and with a crappy mobo none the less, are you still running the stock AMD cooler that came with it???
  3. Quote:
    Up the voltage on the memory. Most settings under 3 shouldn't be too bad, particularly on the OCZ memory.

Tried to lower the settins but it became unstable.. i think the PQI memory is the problem.. it was cheap memory from frys.. but i heard its better to have 2 gigs of slow memory than 512 fast... also like i said... the mobo sucks with voltage.. i cant rais it any higher.. i think its set at +2%
  4. Quote:
    Hey thats great you got a 15% increase in CPU clock speed, kudos to you, and with a crappy mobo none the less, are you still running the stock AMD cooler that came with it???

wow 15%.. damn i didnt calculate taht right..

but yeah.. its got teh Bigwater SE cooling it.. i also looped the 6600gt into it so i think thats keeping me from upping it anymore...
  5. Quote:

XFX GeForce 6600GT
    (AGP bus 81Mhz)
    Stock (500/1000)
    Current (585Mhz/1170Mhz)
    So thats +85Mhz/170Mhz
    I am quite proud of this one. Don't know why but I feel like this was an accomplishment.

:?: Can you lock your AGP bus to 66.67 MHz and/or PCI to 33.33 MHz, as this will let you overclock further as PCI / AGP devices tend to screwball past 37.5 MHz, Which is past 75 MHz for AGP ? (Doing this will not lower performance much, and possibly let you hit 2.6 GHz assuming RAM can handle it).

8) By running only 2 x DIMMs, or even 1 x DIMM you can push memory overclock / timings harder btw.

:arrow: The GeForce 6600 GT will hold you back in Quake 3, 3DMark, etc, as the GeForce 6800 GS/GT or Radeon X800 XL/XT is twice as powerful, and newer cards are even beefier still.

:wink: Still, not bad for a 1st overclock, assuming it passes all the stability tests normally associated with overclocking. (eg: Prime95 - I've got some nice Prime95 settings for testing memory too, PM me or post here if interested).
  6. Quote:
    Up the voltage on the memory. Most settings under 3 shouldn't be too bad, particularly on the OCZ memory.

Tried to lower the settins but it became unstable.. i think the PQI memory is the problem.. it was cheap memory from frys.. but i heard its better to have 2 gigs of slow memory than 512 fast... also like i said... the mobo sucks with voltage.. i cant rais it any higher.. i think its set at +2%
    I'd pull out the OCZ memory. 3 chips can only slow you down stability wise, even if 2 of them are cheep. 2 gigs should be more than enough.

Also, as someone else mentioned before, lock your AGP at stock, you don't get anything out of it (AGP transfer rates aren't limiting most cards), and you might get more out of the system.

For that core, I think you're doing well getting around 15% out of it though, and if it's stable and runs at a reasonable temp, then you should be good :)
  7. Quote:

XFX GeForce 6600GT
    (AGP bus 81Mhz)
    Stock (500/1000)
    Current (585Mhz/1170Mhz)
    So thats +85Mhz/170Mhz

:?: Can you lock your AGP bus to 66.67 MHz and/or PCI to 33.33 MHz, as this will let you overclock further as PCI / AGP devices tend to screwball past 37.5 MHz, Which is past 75 MHz for AGP ? (Doing this will not lower performance much, and possibly let you hit 2.6 GHz assuming RAM can handle it).

8) By running only 2 x DIMMs, or even 1 x DIMM you can push memory overclock / timings harder btw.

:arrow: The GeForce 6600 GT will hold you back in Quake 3, 3DMark, etc, as the GeForce 6800 GS/GT or Radeon X800 XL/XT is twice as powerful, and newer cards are even beefier still.

:wink: Still, not bad for a 1st overclock, assuming it passes all the stability tests normally associated with overclocking. (eg: Prime95 - I've got some nice Prime95 settings for testing memory too, PM me or post here if interested).

yeah ill lock down the AGP to 66 tonight.. didnt know it would have that kinda affect on the system...i thought if you overclocked the system you would need to knock up everything to keep the system stable

ill look into the 6800.. i know its got like twice the pipelines and everything...

i am interested in the prime settings.. that damn program is too simple.. its confusing.. =P... thanks...
  8. Quote:

I'd pull out the OCZ memory. 3 chips can only slow you down stability wise, even if 2 of them are cheep. 2 gigs should be more than enough.

Also, as someone else mentioned before, lock your AGP at stock, you don't get anything out of it (AGP transfer rates aren't limiting most cards), and you might get more out of the system.

For that core, I think you're doing well getting around 15% out of it though, and if it's stable and runs at a reasonable temp, then you should be good :)

didnt know that about the memory either.. and the temp is the same when OCed as when it was running stock.. maybe 1 degree C diff if that.. of course my parents always keep my house freking freezing. so that might have somethign to do with it..

ill lock down the AGP and try to knock the sys bus from 230 now to 240.. knock up the voltage a little..

i am jsut worried about upping the memory.. i know the timings are high.. but there are soo many damn settings in my bios for the memory im not sure which ones to change...

basic OCing is easy i suppose.. but trying to understand the 10+ settings for memory is impossible..... any ideas?
  9. You can run Prime95 from two different folders (or more, up to 32 should be OK) at once btw, so it hits both CPUs and memory at once.

It will cut your testing time in half if you have a dual-core system.... if you are not already doing it. Even on single-core with HyperThreading you'll still gain a fair bit of time. On quad-core it helps heaps ;)

Tabris - Recommended Prime95 settings.txt:

Min FFT size (in K): 128
    Max FFT size (in K): 4096 (or larger if supported)
    Run FFTs in place: Disabled / Off
    Memory to use (in MB): 1/n *
    Time to run each FFT size (in minutes): As low as 15 and as high as 60 minutes to personal taste. (15 min recommended though, even for todays systems)

* - Where n is the number of cores/threads the system can run in parallel, and how many Prime95 instances are being run, each from their own folder at the same time.

eg: 4 threads at once = 1/4 memory = eg: 4 GB total, so 1024 MB each

Prime95 can detect errors in calculations (usually caused by faulty memory, or overclocking CPU to far), I don't know if SuperPI can though.
  10. 585 for the core on the 6600gt is amazing. I can't believe that there are no artifacts or extremely high temperatures....even with water cooling. I got my 6600gt up to 535 before the artifacts kicked in....I guess because it is a xfx and not evga.
  11. yeah the xfx just feels like higher quality than the evga.. i seem to remember something like Winstone or something like that.. it offloads all the processing to the processor.. evga sounds like it does that.. just sounds cheap.. i dunno..

but yeah 585 running cool and no artifacts..
Ask a new question

Read More

Bus RAM Overclocking