Sign in with
Your question

ADVISE FOR CASE MOD PLZ HELP

Last response: in Components
March 21, 2006 5:07:26 AM

I need some help figuring out the optimum way to get better airflow/cooling in this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?image=11-14...
please give me suggestions on getting better airflow through case mods, I already have all of the other fan slots filled. Thanks.

More about : advise case mod plz

March 21, 2006 5:50:58 AM

Hello rom Greece...

I don't think u could ever get maximum airflow with this Case... Mostly because the front side has no ( visible from the photos ) air holes...

In order to achieve maximun airflow u need an air input at the front low side of the case... preferable with a 12" silende fan...

Then u must have an air output in the high back side... which i thing u get with this case...

If the case does have front air holes just install a 12" fan and u should be just fine...

Another critical aspect is that the space inside the case must be as tidy as it can get. Gather cables and whatever u got inside and push them to get out of the way of the airflow...

A good hint is to buy round IDE cables...

Hope i helded...
March 21, 2006 11:09:11 AM

I noticed in this view, there are 2 fan mounts for 80mm or 60mm fans so that may help out. (in the front, to cool hdd?)

Also there are some vent holes in the side panel here and maybe you can carefully put a fan there as well to help cool the gpu & other cards, if you don't mind some light modding.
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 21, 2006 11:40:26 AM

The first thing I would do is optimize intake/exhaust. Make sure that you are using some fans to bring air in and are moving at least that much air out with your exhaust fans. As previously recommended, you should ensure that your cables/wires inside the case are not restricting airflow.

If you look closely at the front, then you can see the air holes to allow 2 fans to bring in air. A major restrictor to that airflow is the closing glass/plastic door - try leaving this door open.

One thing I did notice about the fan intake/exhaust areas is that the holes are rather small - at least on the back panel. The small holes will restrict airflow AND increase noise. You can use a dremel to widen the holes or cut them out and replace them with wire fan grills.

Are you experiencing high temps inside the case? What makes you think that you don't have good airflow right now?
March 21, 2006 8:21:52 PM

thanks, but i'm ahead of u already, as i said i have all the fan spots filled (2X80mm front, 120mm rear, 80mm side), and i already slightly modded the case so that the door is no longer even attached to the case. at all. I already noticed the fan holes being smaller than that of the hexagonal ones on my old case and plan to us a fan guard as u mentioned instead.

, but since this system is not yet built, i was asking because i wanted the most efficient, quiet airflow possible without severely altering the aesthetics of the case (ex. cut in fan hole on top, side window, cut out better air holes in front)

i hope geostuff was talkin about 120mm fans and not 12 inch fans cuz 12 inches is BIG.

I don't think that i have bad airflow nor do i have temp problems. PLEASE give me advice on recommended fans, heatsinks, HSF, and other cooling methods. thanks.
March 21, 2006 8:57:21 PM

Since the front panel seems to be mesh, you can always set up a fan to pull in cool air from the front. I have a Raidmax Ninja which has a mount for either 80 or 120, but I would have put one up front with zip ties if it didn't. I also used my side spot for cold air in since it will be over the cpu cooler. I went with coolermaster silent 3 pin fans. I don't have my working parts yet, but I did test my air flow with a spare PSU, and my exhaust fan in the rear seems to be blowing more volume than it does by itself. Once I get all my innards,
I might upgrade the front fan to a Scythe S-flex.
Good luck.
March 21, 2006 10:32:34 PM

Quote:

i hope geostuff was talkin about 120mm fans and not 12 inch fans cuz 12 inches is BIG.

LOL!! Actually i was talking about 12mm... But would it be fun to use a 12 inch fan installed on the side panel?? Talking about airflow...

I generally choose 12 mm fans because they r more silent in low speed and more efficient in full speed... All fans are the same more or less... If u r going to buy one try to hear it first.. that is if u care about the noise factor..

As for heatsinks try copper... I don't think there is a different approache...

I don't know which MoBo u got... If u haven't bought one yet take one with full passive cooling in every chip... e.g. ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE...

Same for memory modules... e.g. OCZ PC-4000 EL DDR 2X1024 MB GOLD GX XTC

Ever thought of Watercooling?
March 22, 2006 3:00:54 AM

water cooling isn't as pertty as like 12 led fans and a bagillion uv reactive parts plus its a lot of money. so no water cooling.

i am still looking for advice towards airflow/cooling enhancing CASE MODS more than anything else but other suggestions would be much appreciated
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 22, 2006 11:28:12 AM

List your full system specs.

You don't necessarily need a "bagillion" fans to make your system cool. Don't restrict airflow inside the case and balance intake/exhaust airflow.
You can take a look at the Arctic Cooling 12CM fan, the Vantec Stealth 12CM and the Silverstone FN121 12CM fan for good airflow and quiet operation. For a fan that has variable speeds without a fan controller, you can take a look at the Antec TriCool 12CM.

More than likely, your GPU will be one of the loudest components in your rig. I picked up an HiS IceQII X800GTO and it is whisper quiet - well worth the few extra dollars I spent on it. If you're going AMD, then the stock HSF is quiet and does a good job cooling - match it up with some Arctic Silver thermal compound and your CPU will be nice and cool.

I also wanted a quiet, cool rig. I have a total of 4 fans in my rig:
1. Antec Sonata II case which comes standard with one rear fan for exhaust - an Antec Tricool that is set on medium speed. It has a place for another 12CM fan in front, but I have not put a fan there, yet.
2. 8CM fan on the Antec Smartpower PSU.
3. Fan on the stock AMD HSF.
4. Fan on the IceQ X800GTO.
I run Folding@Home 24/7 with a 15% OC on the CPU. My CPU temp is 36-37C, my case temp is around 30C and my PC is basically inaudible. I'll say it again - You don't have to have "bagillion" fans to have a cool, quiet case. You just have to pay attention when you are setting up the rig. My recommendation to you is to start with as few fans as possible and only add what fans/cooling you need to keep the keep the system cool.
March 22, 2006 3:17:56 PM

Quote:
I need some help figuring out the optimum way to get better airflow/cooling in this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?image=11-14...
please give me suggestions on getting better airflow through case mods, I already have all of the other fan slots filled. Thanks.

I don't see a blowhole fan in those photos but they aren't clear about the area on top in front of the PS. If there is no blowhole fan, you might want to add a 9 or 12 cm on top. Easy mod. As others have said, add fans on the front where they will fit. You can also get a hard drive fan that will fit into one of the 5" bays but these tend to be a bit noisy. Another option is to add a fan below the bottom hard drive slot and have it blow air into the case. Sort of the mirror image of the blow hole. This would have to be a smaller fan to fit between the hard drive rack rails, but it should help.
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 22, 2006 3:59:16 PM

Quote:
bagillion was sarcastic but not easily seen in text sry

I figured that was the case, but had to poke you a couple of times anyway. :wink:

IRT the Zalman HSFs: I really recommend you try the stock HSF first. It is quiet, well made and does a great job. If you want some extra bling, then you can upgrade the fan to a quiet LED fan. I just don't think that either of the Zalman HSFs are worth the extra expense - or any aftermarket HSF. I run my 3200+ with stock HSF and a 15% OC. It is on 24/7 at 100% CPU utilization with a 37C temp while Folding. If you want it for looks, then that is your prerogative, but I don't think you will get a significant performance improvement.
March 22, 2006 5:33:53 PM

Quote:
I run my 3200+ with stock HSF and a 15% OC. It is on 24/7 at 100% CPU utilization with a 37C temp while Folding. If you want it for looks, then that is your prerogative, but I don't think you will get a significant performance improvement.

What do you run that uses 100% CPU 24/7?

There are numerous HSF reviews that show significant performance improvements over stock units by the Zalman , ThermalTake, etc., fans. Do you think those reviews are BS?
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 22, 2006 6:15:34 PM

I'll say my thoughts on aftermarket HSFs again:
Quote:
I just don't think that either of the Zalman HSFs are worth the extra expense - or any aftermarket HSF.

IMHO, spending money on an aftermarket HSF is a waste unless you are going to be running high OCs 24/7. AMD did a great job with this HSF.
Quote:
There are numerous HSF reviews that show significant performance improvements over stock units by the Zalman , ThermalTake, etc., fans. Do you think those reviews are BS?

Assuming that the temp reduction from an aftermarket HSF lowers your CPU temp to 33C...even 30C. What is the difference to you whether your CPU is operating at 37C or 30C? Really?! Think about that and answer yourself honestly. Both temps are well within operating parameters and the system will operate effectively. What is the significant performance increase that you - the consumer - gets from spending that $40 -$70?
If you have questions, then I will answer them...but I don't see any way to make myself more clear on this subject and i'm not going to waste time on your incredulity over my results. Believe it or don't believe it - take my advice or don't take it. It's your money and you can spend it the way you want to spend it. [/shrug]

For 100% CPU utilization I do Folding@Home for the THGC Community Folding Team. Join us and you too can test your rig while helping humanity. :wink:
March 22, 2006 6:34:26 PM

Quote:
Assuming that the temp reduction from an aftermarket HSF lowers your CPU temp to 33C...even 30C. What is the difference to you whether your CPU is operating at 37C or 30C? Really?! Think about that and answer yourself honestly. Both temps are well within operating parameters and the system will operate effectively. What is the significant performance increase that you - the consumer - gets from spending that $40 -$70?

For 100% CPU utilization I do Folding@Home for the THGC Community Folding Team. Join us and you too can test your rig while helping humanity. :wink:

But not everyone runs their AMD at 37C. 50C isn't that uncommon and my memory of the last Zalman 9500 review was that for high temp setups, it ran something like 8C under the stock fan. 42 vs 50 is significant to me and for OC'ers that tickle up into the mid and high 50s, it could extend CPU life quite a bit.

Hey, I'm doing my bit to help humanity but my gaming rig has nothing to do with it: http://mirage-mex.acd.ucar.edu/
March 23, 2006 2:40:29 AM

first of all I am very clear on the price/performance thing for mild overclocking, and the stock HSF that came with the CPU that I was really talking about (AMD Opteron 165) was excellent compared to that of normal A64s, it was all copper with 4 heatpipes and had an 80mm fan instead of a 70mm fan, but I was moreso concerned with future benefits when I plan to do major overclocks like 50% or greater, I am hoping to get as much performance out of this CPU as possible before iI have to upgrade to a better one or even a AM2 mobo and all the stuff i need with that (mobo, CPU, new DDR2 800 ram). Please give me any suggestions u have for HSFs that are best for quiet operation and very good cooling. thanks
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 23, 2006 11:27:42 AM

Why spend $40-70 now for performance you won't need for 1-3 yrs? Who knows what HSF technology will be available by the time that you need to do that upgrade? Buy what you need for the now and buy the upgrade parts when you need them. If you want to run a constant 50% OC, then I would argue that air may not be the way to go.
!