March 21, 2006 12:51:50 PM

I'm looking for the best memory for the following motherboard/processor combos:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (2.40GHz) Socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (2.60GHz) Socket 939

Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe
Intel Pentium D 950 (3.40GHz) Socket 775
Intel Pentium 955 (3.46GHz) Extreme Edition Socket 775

I've been looking into PC6400, PC8000 and PC8500 memory but that stuff is hard to find in 2GB module sizes, as I'm looking at possibly installing 4GB (2GBx2), though 2GB (1GBx2) might suffice. It doesn't really matter how much the memory costs as long as it is high performance and STABLE. Keep in mind, the systems (one AMD and one
Intel) will be OC'd. Since I haven't meddled in OC'ing before, I'd like some good advice. Thanks.

-- MaSoP

More about : memory extreme gaming

March 21, 2006 12:57:33 PM

Four GB of memory??? I would be an silicon nirvana if I could afford to have a pc which required 4GB of RAM! DDR2 or not.....

2GB is more than sufficient at the moment. For the AMD processors, go for OCZ, Corsair and Patriot... and pretty much the same for the Intel processors, but obviously the DDR2 modules.

OCZ at the moment is the best for OCing, and naturally, its quite expensive, but if you can afford two high-end spec PCs, i reckon the budget isn't important.

Bront's Overclocking Journal covers memory OCing, so it will have some good tips in helping you OC your memory, whilst in the CPU forum, there are two good stickies on OCing your P4 and AMD systems....
March 21, 2006 1:08:11 PM

As far as im aware, 2gb strips will be slower, and less overclockable that 1gb strips, probably not by much, but thats what ive picked up from other peoples posts, and if your not gunna use xp pro 64 then the 4gig wont be used to its full potential anyway
Related resources
March 21, 2006 1:12:59 PM

Well, the first thing I should point out is that the AMD system will use DDR ram, and it would appear you've only looked at DDR2.

Also, if you're going to overclock there's not much point going for a higher-end chip to start with (FX-60), since the 'ceiling' you hit will not be any better than with a much cheaper S939 opteron.

Also, 2Gb is fine for any modern application, and also most boards have 4 slots so you could get 4x1Gb instead of 2Gb modules. Of course, the higher your RAM density the more effort it is for the memory controller to cope with it, so you may end up running your memory slower and with more relaxed timings than you would like.

Exactly what RAM you want depends on what sort of clockspeeds you're hoping to reach :) 
March 21, 2006 1:26:43 PM

The thing that is confusing is picking the right memory in regards to speed, not latency per say. The A8N32-SLI Deluxe supports PC2700 and PC3200 natively and the P5N32-SLI Deluxe supports PC2-4200 and PC2-5300 natively. From what I have been able to find out, DDR memory for the AMD Platform goes up to PC4400 and DDR2 goes up to PC2-8500 all for OC'ing. This is making the decision more confusing. I do agree that higher latency ratings and excess amounts of ram do limit OC'ing and overall performance to some extent. The main reason for the extra 2GB would be for graphics creation and manipulation such as Photoshop though my existing machine has 2GB and runs quite well. The system can be brought to it's knees when multi-tasking with multiple graphics programs and images open at the same time though. Thanks for the input. I'll check out the links.

-- MaSoP

Quote:
Four GB of memory??? I would be an silicon nirvana if I could afford to have a pc which required 4GB of RAM! DDR2 or not.....

2GB is more than sufficient at the moment. For the AMD processors, go for OCZ, Corsair and Patriot... and pretty much the same for the Intel processors, but obviously the DDR2 modules.

OCZ at the moment is the best for OCing, and naturally, its quite expensive, but if you can afford two high-end spec PCs, i reckon the budget isn't important.

Bront's Overclocking Journal covers memory OCing, so it will have some good tips in helping you OC your memory, whilst in the CPU forum, there are two good stickies on OCing your P4 and AMD systems....
March 21, 2006 1:34:09 PM

I failed to include PC3200 in the post initially. Thanks for pointing that out. I am aware that AMD uses DDR and Intel uses DDR2 (at least most of the new boards and processors anyways). I definately don't want to kill the cpu or anything else in the machine by going overboard with OC'ing, but stepping it up just a whee bit would be nice. I would probably elect to OC the Video Card as well as CPU/Memory together depending on my needs at the time. Since those processors are basically top models currently, OC'ing the CPU may not be necessary.

The market sucks because hardware becomes obsolete within a single quarter when something better comes out so being able to squeeze out a bit more performance would be a nice option. Thanks.

-- MaSoP

Quote:
Well, the first thing I should point out is that the AMD system will use DDR ram, and it would appear you've only looked at DDR2.

Also, if you're going to overclock there's not much point going for a higher-end chip to start with (FX-60), since the 'ceiling' you hit will not be any better than with a much cheaper S939 opteron.

Also, 2Gb is fine for any modern application, and also most boards have 4 slots so you could get 4x1Gb instead of 2Gb modules. Of course, the higher your RAM density the more effort it is for the memory controller to cope with it, so you may end up running your memory slower and with more relaxed timings than you would like.

Exactly what RAM you want depends on what sort of clockspeeds you're hoping to reach :) 
March 21, 2006 1:59:12 PM

Heh if he wants to build a PC for Vista he might need 4GB of RAM since on the Merom system I have at work with 2GB of RAM running the 64bit Feb CTP its using right around 700MB with absolutely nothing running. Opening the Control Panel bumps that up to 850MB.
!