Sign in with
Your question

Verify copy of previous OS at W7 install

Last response: in Windows 7
November 7, 2009 2:33:06 AM

I have an HP laptop, and i just got confirmed through HP for there upgrade to windows 7. I don't know how accurate this is, but i heard if you want to to upgrade to windows 7 from vista or xp, you need an actual legit dvd copy of XP or Vista at the windows 7 install screen verifying the OS and key that your on. With every desktop and laptop you buy, accept for dell sometimes, give you just a restore cd to reinstall the OS to its factory condition. So if your upgrading to windows 7, for what type of install mandates the need of a copy of your OS going into windows 7?

appreciate the input on this
a b $ Windows 7
a b α HP
November 7, 2009 3:03:30 AM

When I did the upgrade, I was never prompted to insert the DVD or key. I would assume that the W7 install program can detect whether or not you are running a legit. copy of Vista or XP. As long as you have a legit OS right now, I'd say not to worry about anything.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2009 3:25:46 AM

The upgrade option, when upgrading from vista to Win 7, is stated while in vista. However you can to a clean install also, using the "Upgrade DVD. Just received my upgrade from toshiba. I had replaced the Hard drive with a SSD and had Win 7 RC on it.

Tried the upgrade from within win 7 - it Barfed. So I just booted from the Install DVD and did a clean install - With No problems. This could be that Toshiba upgrade DVD only needs to verify that the "Laptop" qualifies. Will find out when I do my desktop, as I have a retail upgrade DVD and plan on doing a clean install
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2009 3:43:54 AM

RetiredChief said:
The upgrade option, when upgrading from vista to Win 7, is stated while in vista. However you can to a clean install also, using the "Upgrade DVD. Just received my upgrade from toshiba. I had replaced the Hard drive with a SSD and had Win 7 RC on it.

Tried the upgrade from within win 7 - it Barfed. So I just booted from the Install DVD and did a clean install - With No problems.

I assume you used a solid state drive? and i dont know what windows rc is? Did the SSD have anything to do with it? Your saying there is a window that comes up that says the need to verify your copy of vista? So your W7 RC couldn't upgrade to W7? I dont think if you have windows 7 on your comp it wouldn't upgrade to the legit version. Obviously i want to upgrade, so i imagine that hp's version of the upgrade bypasses this and lets you upgrade, because i dont want to lose my programs and files.

thanks for the info tho, as well as you buwish.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2009 4:05:43 AM

MAKE sure you backup all of your files/data before doing the upgrade. Murphy has a way of messing thinks up.

You will boot into your normal operating system and when you insert the DVD, it will start (Assuming autorun is enabled). Then Just follow the "Yellow Brick Road", or PROMPs.

RC stands for Release Candidate. Microsoft releases a free beta version then a free release candidate for people to try and they inturn send any problems back to Microsoft. This irons out many "bugs" before the real version is sold.
And in my case, the upgrade did not say "invalid copy", it indicated a proble with a "ini" file.
m
l
November 7, 2009 4:33:51 AM

RetiredChief said:
MAKE sure you backup all of your files/data before doing the upgrade. Murphy has a way of messing thinks up.

You will boot into your normal operating system and when you insert the DVD, it will start (Assuming autorun is enabled). Then Just follow the "Yellow Brick Road", or PROMPs.

RC stands for Release Candidate. Microsoft releases a free beta version then a free release candidate for people to try and they inturn send any problems back to Microsoft. This irons out many "bugs" before the real version is sold.
And in my case, the upgrade did not say "invalid copy", it indicated a proble with a "ini" file.

Well of course ill back up my files for insurance purposes...that ini file is probably one of the W7 system files being messed up. Why did you try to upgrade from your beta to the real actually W7? lol i dont think you can upgrade W7 beat to W7. Im still confused with this validating your previous OS at install thing...is it checking to make sure you have a good copy on your system? For system builders of course there going to have there own OS they have to buy it. But when you buy from Hp or Toshiba u dont get a copy, i want to upgrade but this verify previous OS is BS.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2009 8:39:51 PM

Concur, Method for Upgrade is BS.
Reason to upgrade Win 7 RC to Retail verson, is early next year the RC version will only work for 2 hours then shut down and jun/jul of next year it will completly die. I DID NOT want to reload Vista on to my new SSD (with all that crap they include), so I took the easy road and just did a "Clean" install over the RC.

Should be able to check HP web site and they should have a pdf file detailing the exact procedure for installing on their system.

If you need I can post the procedure for a clean install on a Virgin HDD. QUALIFIER - This is illegal if you do not have a qualifing Operating system.
m
l
!