7800GS SC vs x850xt PE

I'm thinking the Nvidia is the best one here after reading the Tom's Hardware review.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/13/nvidias_geforce_7800gs_becomes_a_better_buy/

Any comments?
18 answers Last reply
More about 7800gs x850xt
  1. Go for the 7800GS. It's cheaper and better

    Although...there is an ATI X850XT for $154 after MIR on Newegg
  2. At $300 the 7800 GS becomes more viable, but you're still investing in a 16-pipe card, basically an overclocked 6800 Ultra.

    Better spent migrating to PCI-express and having the ability to get the nice 24-pipe Nvidias or 48-shader X1900s
  3. Quote:
    You can find a X850XT under $200 US, so I say it's a better buy. I wouldn't spend $300 on AGP card.


    But I'm talking about the Platinum Edition one. You won't find that under $200.
  4. What the hell is the difference between the Platinum Edition one and the regular one? Does the word "platinum" before any product name justify them charging you more for it? For the price of the "Platinum Edition" AGP card ($469 8O) you could get the PCI-E version and a new mobo. And still have enough for a new CPU. It's just not worth it, especially now that AGP is all but dead.

    Oh, yeah. I'm selling my Pinto "Platinum Edition" with $2 plastic badges all over the body for $45,000. Is anybody interested? :)
  5. Read the specs and you'll know. :twisted:
  6. Oh, wait. There's no "Platinum Edition" card for AGP. The AGP card is $319, double the price of the PCI-E version. :twisted:
  7. Yes, there IS an AGP "Platinum Edition." :roll:
  8. I researched a lot, and the article on Tom's Hardware convinced me to go for the 7800gs sc. I prefer nvidia over ati, but many of the 7800's have been defective. If you can afford to get off the AGP train, then get a 7800gt and a new mobo; if you’re stuck with agp, like me, then purchase from the brand that you have the most experience with. Differentiating between the two cards is like deciding if the bfg 7800gs oc is better than the evga 7800gs oc; they are so close that the main determining factor is preference.
  9. Quote:
    I researched a lot, and the article on Tom's Hardware convinced me to go for the 7800gs sc. I prefer nvidia over ati, but many of the 7800's have been defective. If you can afford to get off the AGP train, then get a 7800gt and a new mobo; if you’re stuck with agp, like me, then purchase from the brand that you have the most experience with. Differentiating between the two cards is like deciding if the bfg 7800gs oc is better than the evga 7800gs oc; they are so close that the main determining factor is preference.


    After reading reviews on newegg, etc, it looks like the BFG is the one to go with no? EVGA has the most problems and XFX has some too. Which one are you going with? I need to decide also.
  10. I chose the EVGA 7800gs sc. I think that they had a bad batch and everyone that bought a bad one felt like they needed to post a review. I wouldn't worry about the quality; if you buy it through Newegg and it doesn't run perfectly then you can send it back and get a full refund.

    I don't like any of the overclocking utilities, so I just bought one that was already overclocked for me; you could buy a BFG and overclock it to the same speeds. If the BFG is cheaper than the EVGA......then I would go for it. I wouldn't go for xfx though. I've owned 2 xfx cards and the drivers suck. They release their own drivers and they seem to limit the GPU, and I've had conflicts using rivatuner with the xfx driver.

    Choose the cheapest one of the two...... hopefully this helps
  11. Well, I really thought about the EVGA Superclocked for a long time, but I just went ahead and ordered the BFG card. I found the best price to be $271.00+$8.00 shipping. Better than most of the ebay auctions right now. I'll have to find out how to over clock it sometime. I've never done it before.

    :wink:
  12. Thats a great deal. You should use rivatuner if you decide to overclock it...

    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=737
  13. Cool, that's I'll check that out.
  14. Quote:
    What the hell is the difference between the Platinum Edition one and the regular one? Does the word "platinum" before any product name justify them charging you more for it? For the price of the "Platinum Edition" AGP card ($469 8O) you could get the PCI-E version and a new mobo. And still have enough for a new CPU. It's just not worth it, especially now that AGP is all but dead.

    Oh, yeah. I'm selling my Pinto "Platinum Edition" with $2 plastic badges all over the body for $45,000. Is anybody interested? :)

    Thanks for giving us an example of what goes through the head of an absolute moron.
    Quote:
    Oh, wait. There's no "Platinum Edition" card for AGP.

    You should go back to whatever hobby you had before....because you suck at this one.
  15. I love this place 8)
  16. :lol:

    Is that you or the beer talking? Must be the beer as you cost yourself a "last edited" tag. :tongue:
  17. Quote:
    I love this place 8)


    So do I
  18. Quote:
    :lol:

    Is that you or the beer talking? Must be the beer as you cost yourself a "last edited" tag. :tongue:

    Deffinately me........with a little beer :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Tom's Hardware Nvidia Graphics