Yet Another - Canon Ink Question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
January 7, 2005 6:15:22 AM

Been following some of the interesting comments in recent threads about
Canon inks and after reading all that, I have a couple of questions:

I recently purchased the Canon i9900 printer along with a full set of spare
cartridges. At approximately $12 (USD) per cartridge this is not totally
outrages compared to some other prices I've seen but if I can lower my costs
on large prints and still maintain quality and longevity, I'm all for it.

Anyone out there using the Canon i9900 or similar printer that uses the
BCI-6 cartridges, find a source of quality ink supplies that has a known
good reputation?

I can find about a zillion suppliers for ink cartridges doing a search but I
certainly would like to hear from those that sell their prints and use 3rd
party supplies. From one of the reviews I read, Amazon inks was high
quality but not as good as the OEM. Comparison for Epson printer and inks.

So for those that have equipped their printers with the larger external
cartridges and paid the price of admission - who's ink do you use? Any
comments pro or con are welcomed.

Thank you,

Bob S.

More about : canon ink question

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 6:15:23 AM

Occasionally, CompUSA has a 25% off sale, on computer accessories. These
ink cartridges fall under that category. Their regular price is $11.99, so
when the sale is on, they're only $8.99/ea. Usually, they offer one penny
shipping, via FedEx Economy, so it's a great deal! These are fresh, Canon
brand cartridge too! One catch though...when I did this, the discount only
applied to two items, so I entered four separate orders, it worked!

Bill Crocker

"BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote in message
> Been following some of the interesting comments in recent threads about
> Canon inks and after reading all that, I have a couple of questions:
>
> I recently purchased the Canon i9900 printer along with a full set of
> spare
> cartridges. At approximately $12 (USD) per cartridge this is not totally
> outrages compared to some other prices I've seen but if I can lower my
> costs
> on large prints and still maintain quality and longevity, I'm all for it.
>
> Anyone out there using the Canon i9900 or similar printer that uses the
> BCI-6 cartridges, find a source of quality ink supplies that has a known
> good reputation?
>
> I can find about a zillion suppliers for ink cartridges doing a search but
> certainly would like to hear from those that sell their prints and use 3rd
> party supplies. From one of the reviews I read, Amazon inks was high
> quality but not as good as the OEM. Comparison for Epson printer and inks.
>
> So for those that have equipped their printers with the larger external
> cartridges and paid the price of admission - who's ink do you use? Any
> comments pro or con are welcomed.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bob S.

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 6:15:23 AM

BobS wrote:
> Been following some of the interesting comments in recent threads about
> Canon inks and after reading all that, I have a couple of questions:
>
> I recently purchased the Canon i9900 printer along with a full set of spare
> cartridges. At approximately $12 (USD) per cartridge this is not totally
> outrages compared to some other prices I've seen but if I can lower my costs
> on large prints and still maintain quality and longevity, I'm all for it.
>
> Anyone out there using the Canon i9900 or similar printer that uses the
> BCI-6 cartridges, find a source of quality ink supplies that has a known
> good reputation?
>
> I can find about a zillion suppliers for ink cartridges doing a search but I
> certainly would like to hear from those that sell their prints and use 3rd
> party supplies. From one of the reviews I read, Amazon inks was high
> quality but not as good as the OEM. Comparison for Epson printer and inks.
>
> So for those that have equipped their printers with the larger external
> cartridges and paid the price of admission - who's ink do you use? Any
> comments pro or con are welcomed.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bob S.

We've run numerous compatible cartridges through our i9100. The best I
have found is from a seller on ebay. Their cartridges have allot more
ink than most and they're about $2 each. Here's a link to their Canon
compatible cartridges: http://tinyurl.com/4x6ep
January 7, 2005 12:41:50 PM

BobS wrote:
> Bill,
>
> After doing some searching and being a member of Sam's Club, I found
that
> they offer the cartridges on-line only for $9.33 each (regular price)
and
> that includes the PM and PC colors. Downside is that it's ~$7 for
shipping
> for 8 cart plus good ole tax and at the end of the day- it still
comes to
> $11.11 per cart. - a small savings. So whether I catch a sale or
purchase
> from Sam's, the cost will be about the same it appears.

http://www.canogacamera.com sells them for a hair less (no membership
needed) and their postage is very reasonable. They've also good prices
on Canon paper. I speak only as a customer (I'm a thousand miles north
of them).

We use cheap ($3) klone inks in our inexpensive Canon
copier/fax/scanner/printer (used primarily by my wife)
device (F50) where we don't use it for photographs that we really care
about. But for our spendier i9900, which we use for our photo
printing,
we use Canon ink and papers. At very least the ICC profiles will be
correct and print lifetimes somewhat more predictable. :-)

Mike
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:38:33 PM

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 03:15:22 GMT, "BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote
in part:

>Anyone out there using the Canon i9900 or similar printer that uses the
>BCI-6 cartridges, find a source of quality ink supplies that has a known
>good reputation?

My printer is a Canon i960 which uses the same ink as your i9900, that
is, BCI-6x or BCI-6xx.

If you check out www.inkproducts.com you'll find lots of goodies in
addition to excellent ink. They are my supplier of choice. YMMV

Hint: save your Canon empties /and/ their nozzle caps.

Regards,
Don
January 7, 2005 5:53:46 PM

If you refill, I have been using ink from www.alotofthings.com and have had
great results. It's Formulab imk

"BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote in message
> Been following some of the interesting comments in recent threads about
> Canon inks and after reading all that, I have a couple of questions:
>
> I recently purchased the Canon i9900 printer along with a full set of
spare
> cartridges. At approximately $12 (USD) per cartridge this is not totally
> outrages compared to some other prices I've seen but if I can lower my
costs
> on large prints and still maintain quality and longevity, I'm all for it.
>
> Anyone out there using the Canon i9900 or similar printer that uses the
> BCI-6 cartridges, find a source of quality ink supplies that has a known
> good reputation?
>
> I can find about a zillion suppliers for ink cartridges doing a search but
> certainly would like to hear from those that sell their prints and use 3rd
> party supplies. From one of the reviews I read, Amazon inks was high
> quality but not as good as the OEM. Comparison for Epson printer and inks.
>
> So for those that have equipped their printers with the larger external
> cartridges and paid the price of admission - who's ink do you use? Any
> comments pro or con are welcomed.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bob S.

January 7, 2005 6:23:06 PM

Bill,

After doing some searching and being a member of Sam's Club, I found that
they offer the cartridges on-line only for $9.33 each (regular price) and
that includes the PM and PC colors. Downside is that it's ~$7 for shipping
for 8 cart plus good ole tax and at the end of the day- it still comes to
$11.11 per cart. - a small savings. So whether I catch a sale or purchase
from Sam's, the cost will be about the same it appears.

In reality not all colors are used equally and I found a chart on the Canon
site I believe that shows how many average prints you get per color
cartridge. The PM was the lowest at 282 as I recall with the rest hovering
from 300 to 500 prints. Their estimates are pretty well what I'm
experiencing.

So while the above costs are not show-stoppers, I'm not against lowering
costs either and using bulk ink if I can find it.

Thanks for your suggestion,

Bob S.

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Occasionally, CompUSA has a 25% off sale, on computer accessories. These
> ink cartridges fall under that category. Their regular price is $11.99,
so
> when the sale is on, they're only $8.99/ea. Usually, they offer one penny
> shipping, via FedEx Economy, so it's a great deal! These are fresh, Canon
> brand cartridge too! One catch though...when I did this, the discount
only
> applied to two items, so I entered four separate orders, it worked!
>
> Bill Crocker
>

> "BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote in message
> > Been following some of the interesting comments in recent threads about
> > Canon inks and after reading all that, I have a couple of questions:
> >
> > I recently purchased the Canon i9900 printer along with a full set of
> > spare
> > cartridges. At approximately $12 (USD) per cartridge this is not totally
> > outrages compared to some other prices I've seen but if I can lower my
> > costs
> > on large prints and still maintain quality and longevity, I'm all for
it.

> > Anyone out there using the Canon i9900 or similar printer that uses the
> > BCI-6 cartridges, find a source of quality ink supplies that has a known
> > good reputation?
> >
> > I can find about a zillion suppliers for ink cartridges doing a search
but
> > certainly would like to hear from those that sell their prints and use
3rd
> > party supplies. From one of the reviews I read, Amazon inks was high
> > quality but not as good as the OEM. Comparison for Epson printer and
inks.

> > So for those that have equipped their printers with the larger external
> > cartridges and paid the price of admission - who's ink do you use? Any
> > comments pro or con are welcomed.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Bob S.

January 7, 2005 10:22:21 PM

Anoni,

Thanks for the link and it appears to be about the best price I've seen for
Canon ink and paper.

Thanks for your time,

Bob S.

"Anoni Moose" <gewgle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> BobS wrote:
> > Bill,
> >
> > After doing some searching and being a member of Sam's Club, I found
> that
> > they offer the cartridges on-line only for $9.33 each (regular price)
> and
> > that includes the PM and PC colors. Downside is that it's ~$7 for
> shipping
> > for 8 cart plus good ole tax and at the end of the day- it still
> comes to
> > $11.11 per cart. - a small savings. So whether I catch a sale or
> purchase
> > from Sam's, the cost will be about the same it appears.
>
> http://www.canogacamera.com sells them for a hair less (no membership
> needed) and their postage is very reasonable. They've also good prices
> on Canon paper. I speak only as a customer (I'm a thousand miles north
> of them).
>
> We use cheap ($3) klone inks in our inexpensive Canon
> copier/fax/scanner/printer (used primarily by my wife)
> device (F50) where we don't use it for photographs that we really care
> about. But for our spendier i9900, which we use for our photo
> printing,
> we use Canon ink and papers. At very least the ICC profiles will be
> correct and print lifetimes somewhat more predictable. :-)
>
> Mike

January 7, 2005 11:10:46 PM

Crhoff,

I looked at their site and if they run their business like they do their
site - I'll stay away. Broken links, still showing that they're not open
until 26 Dec (click on support link to get to main page). Plus, I'm a bit
leery about any vendor that states their ink matches or exceeds an OEM's
then does not offer any proof of that other than stating "our testing
proves"...

Not saying that these inks are not any good and they certainly have the cost
advantage but I was looking for some proof on their advertising claims and
can't find it. Other articles I've read only indicate a "few" ink suppliers
that offer good quality inks that are certainly useable but any testing done
often shows that they are short-lived (i.e. Wilhelm Labs).

The message I'm getting is that OEM inks are really the best for their
particular printers. You can get lesser cost supplies that may look good
initially but will eventually fade or otherwise deteriorate in some manner.
And that may be okay if I was only interested in making snapshot prints that
won't be hung on a wall or displayed. Not that any of my work is worth
hanging on a wall in anyone else's home but I can force them on family and
relatives......so I don't want them having any excuses like - "It started
fading, so we took it down"......;-)

Looking at the sites and following the various links, reading comments from
others and doing some research has been a good education.

Thanks for your input,

Bob S.

"Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
> If you refill, I have been using ink from www.alotofthings.com and have
had
> great results. It's Formulab imk

January 7, 2005 11:31:44 PM

Follow-up. I sent them an email indicating some broken links and actually
got a response back....

..........email from Alotofthings.com..............

There are actually a lot of broken links on the site.
We are currently not supporting the site directly as we are working on a new
shop cart.
The shop cart is independent of the site so all references to commerce will
be removed once the new cart is completed.

Rhonda Flores
TrueColor Imaging
Alotofthings.com
A Paradise Multimedia Company

> Crhoff,
>
> I looked at their site and if they run their business like they do their
> site - I'll stay away. Broken links, still showing that they're not open
> until 26 Dec (click on support link to get to main page). Plus, I'm a bit
> leery about any vendor that states their ink matches or exceeds an OEM's
> then does not offer any proof of that other than stating "our testing
> proves"...
>
> Not saying that these inks are not any good and they certainly have the
cost
> advantage but I was looking for some proof on their advertising claims and
> can't find it. Other articles I've read only indicate a "few" ink
suppliers
> that offer good quality inks that are certainly useable but any testing
done
> often shows that they are short-lived (i.e. Wilhelm Labs).
>
> The message I'm getting is that OEM inks are really the best for their
> particular printers. You can get lesser cost supplies that may look good
> initially but will eventually fade or otherwise deteriorate in some
manner.
> And that may be okay if I was only interested in making snapshot prints
that
> won't be hung on a wall or displayed. Not that any of my work is worth
> hanging on a wall in anyone else's home but I can force them on family and
> relatives......so I don't want them having any excuses like - "It started
> fading, so we took it down"......;-)
>
> Looking at the sites and following the various links, reading comments
from
> others and doing some research has been a good education.
>
> Thanks for your input,
>
> Bob S.
>

> "Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
> > If you refill, I have been using ink from www.alotofthings.com and have
> had
> > great results. It's Formulab imk

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:47:23 AM

Alotofthings is alive and well, however as posted they are having problems
with the software they acquired. Their business is booming, mainly as the
result of eBay sales, local shows and their resellers and the web site isn't
the main source of orders. This is a link to their eBay store
http://stores.ebay.com/ALOT-OF-THINGS. The prices are better there than at
the website. If you have any concerns about the ink, check out the ink
manufacturers website www.formulabs.com . As to your concerns that the inks
would be inferior to OEM inks, I can't provide any evidence to the contrary
other than my own personal experience and that of numerous other posters in
this newsgroup. I've been refilling for a long time on several different
Canon printers and the results have been identical to OEM inks. Fading has
not been a problem. I've got prints that are in excess of three years old
that have been displayed for that entire time and they show no signs of
fading. I wish I could say the same for some professionally done portraits
that we paid big bucks for which faded to a light sepia. The entire package
faded - from the 16x20 over our fireplace to the 8x10s and wallet sizes that
have been kept in an album. I suspect the lab used bad chemistry. As to
color accuracy of the OEM Canon inks compared to refilled cartridges I can
see no difference. My most recent printer purchase is an iP4000. Upon
receipt, I installed the Canon cartridges and printed several sheets of
reference photos and color charts. I then replaced those cartridges with a
set of OLD cartridges from my i950 which have been refilled way too many
times. The PC and PM cartridges weren't used since the iP4000 doesn't use
them. After running cleaning cycles to purge the previous ink from the
printhead, I then printed the same reference photos and color charts. The
ink used in these cartridges was purchased in late 2002 from alotofthings. I
also have a new set of bulk inks from alotofthings and I repeated the
process with newer cartridges refilled with that ink. The only way to tell
which ink is on the paper was from the notations I wrote on the sheets to
identify them. As a former printshop owner I have a pretty good eye for
color differences and I can't find any from the test sheets I printed.
--
Ron Cohen

"BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote in message
> Crhoff,
>
> I looked at their site and if they run their business like they do their
> site - I'll stay away. Broken links, still showing that they're not open
> until 26 Dec (click on support link to get to main page). Plus, I'm a bit
> leery about any vendor that states their ink matches or exceeds an OEM's
> then does not offer any proof of that other than stating "our testing
> proves"...
>
> Not saying that these inks are not any good and they certainly have the
> cost
> advantage but I was looking for some proof on their advertising claims and
> can't find it. Other articles I've read only indicate a "few" ink
> suppliers
> that offer good quality inks that are certainly useable but any testing
> done
> often shows that they are short-lived (i.e. Wilhelm Labs).
>
> The message I'm getting is that OEM inks are really the best for their
> particular printers. You can get lesser cost supplies that may look good
> initially but will eventually fade or otherwise deteriorate in some
> manner.
> And that may be okay if I was only interested in making snapshot prints
> that
> won't be hung on a wall or displayed. Not that any of my work is worth
> hanging on a wall in anyone else's home but I can force them on family and
> relatives......so I don't want them having any excuses like - "It started
> fading, so we took it down"......;-)
>
> Looking at the sites and following the various links, reading comments
> from
> others and doing some research has been a good education.
>
> Thanks for your input,
>
> Bob S.
>

> "Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
>> If you refill, I have been using ink from www.alotofthings.com and have
> had
>> great results. It's Formulab imk

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:47:24 AM

Ron Cohen wrote:
> Alotofthings is alive and well, however as posted they are having problems
> with the software they acquired. Their business is booming, mainly as the
> result of eBay sales, local shows and their resellers and the web site isn't
> the main source of orders. This is a link to their eBay store
> http://stores.ebay.com/ALOT-OF-THINGS. The prices are better there than at
> the website. If you have any concerns about the ink, check out the ink
> manufacturers website www.formulabs.com . As to your concerns that the inks
> would be inferior to OEM inks, I can't provide any evidence to the contrary
> other than my own personal experience and that of numerous other posters in
> this newsgroup.

I agree that their site is poorly done, try finding Canon i850. A
larger concern is after finding the BCI3 bulk ink refill page it warns
not to use pigmented ink if you use it to print color. This is correct
but the only BC3 black ink that I could find was pigmented. It may be
on their site, but navagation was so difficult that I coudn't find it.
Maybe you can help me find it. Their eBay site seems to solve the
problem by ignoring it.
January 8, 2005 1:10:25 AM

Ron,

Your comments and strong convictions are convincing me to give this another
look - and I will. Appreciate your time and effort to state your experience
with their products.

Thank you,

Bob S.

"Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Alotofthings is alive and well, however as posted they are having problems
> with the software they acquired. Their business is booming, mainly as the
> result of eBay sales, local shows and their resellers and the web site
isn't
> the main source of orders. This is a link to their eBay store
> http://stores.ebay.com/ALOT-OF-THINGS. The prices are better there than at
> the website. If you have any concerns about the ink, check out the ink
> manufacturers website www.formulabs.com . As to your concerns that the
inks
> would be inferior to OEM inks, I can't provide any evidence to the
contrary
> other than my own personal experience and that of numerous other posters
in
> this newsgroup. I've been refilling for a long time on several different
> Canon printers and the results have been identical to OEM inks. Fading has
> not been a problem. I've got prints that are in excess of three years old
> that have been displayed for that entire time and they show no signs of
> fading. I wish I could say the same for some professionally done portraits
> that we paid big bucks for which faded to a light sepia. The entire
package
> faded - from the 16x20 over our fireplace to the 8x10s and wallet sizes
that
> have been kept in an album. I suspect the lab used bad chemistry. As to
> color accuracy of the OEM Canon inks compared to refilled cartridges I can
> see no difference. My most recent printer purchase is an iP4000. Upon
> receipt, I installed the Canon cartridges and printed several sheets of
> reference photos and color charts. I then replaced those cartridges with a
> set of OLD cartridges from my i950 which have been refilled way too many
> times. The PC and PM cartridges weren't used since the iP4000 doesn't use
> them. After running cleaning cycles to purge the previous ink from the
> printhead, I then printed the same reference photos and color charts. The
> ink used in these cartridges was purchased in late 2002 from alotofthings.
> also have a new set of bulk inks from alotofthings and I repeated the
> process with newer cartridges refilled with that ink. The only way to tell
> which ink is on the paper was from the notations I wrote on the sheets to
> identify them. As a former printshop owner I have a pretty good eye for
> color differences and I can't find any from the test sheets I printed.
> --
> Ron Cohen
January 8, 2005 5:54:45 AM

On the http://www.formulabs.com/ site they show a BCI-3PBK dye ink. Click
on the Quick Find link at the left and then enter Desktop and Canon, then on
the next page select the printer cartridge number and it will show the
cartridge ink information and which printers it goes with. The list is way
behind form what I can see but the print cartridges are there.

Bob S.

"Ray R" <ray980912@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ron Cohen wrote:
> > Alotofthings is alive and well, however as posted they are having
problems
> > with the software they acquired. Their business is booming, mainly as
the
> > result of eBay sales, local shows and their resellers and the web site
isn't
> > the main source of orders. This is a link to their eBay store
> > http://stores.ebay.com/ALOT-OF-THINGS. The prices are better there than
at
> > the website. If you have any concerns about the ink, check out the ink
> > manufacturers website www.formulabs.com . As to your concerns that the
inks
> > would be inferior to OEM inks, I can't provide any evidence to the
contrary
> > other than my own personal experience and that of numerous other posters
in
> > this newsgroup.
>

> I agree that their site is poorly done, try finding Canon i850. A
> larger concern is after finding the BCI3 bulk ink refill page it warns
> not to use pigmented ink if you use it to print color. This is correct
> but the only BC3 black ink that I could find was pigmented. It may be
> on their site, but navagation was so difficult that I coudn't find it.
> Maybe you can help me find it. Their eBay site seems to solve the
> problem by ignoring it.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 8:24:14 AM

Searching by model number isn't too good from them or a number of other
sites I've visited. With Canon it really isn't all that necessary since the
same group of cartridges fit so many of their printers. Only a few Canon
printers such as the BJC3000 (I still have one from) use BCI-3ePBK. The
warning they put on the web site is entirely valid since using a pigmented
ink in a printhead designed for dye based inks would be quite a problem. In
the case of the BCI-3PBK and the other BCI-3 photo inks, a separate photo
ink printhead assembly is required. The BJC3000 uses the BC-33e assembly for
standard printing and the BC-34e for photo inks. Only a very few Canon
models used this ink. Later 4 tank Canon printers (such as the i850) don't
use dye based BCI-3PBK. They only use pigment base BCI-3BK. I wouldn't say
they solve the problem on their eBay site by ignoring it. Rather, the market
for the older photo inks is so small in relation to the current inks that
they may not have seen the need to list it on eBay. I did find it listed on
their website under this link
http://www.alotofthings.com/catalog/bulkinks_canon_bci-... Look at the
bottom left item - Bulk 3-Color Photo BCI-3e PC/PM/PBK. So, after all this
your concern about a photo black for the i850 can be laid to rest. The i850
doesn't use that ink.

Ron Cohen

"Ray R" <ray980912@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ron Cohen wrote:
>> Alotofthings is alive and well, however as posted they are having
>> problems with the software they acquired. Their business is booming,
>> mainly as the result of eBay sales, local shows and their resellers and
>> the web site isn't the main source of orders. This is a link to their
>> eBay store http://stores.ebay.com/ALOT-OF-THINGS. The prices are better
>> there than at the website. If you have any concerns about the ink, check
>> out the ink manufacturers website www.formulabs.com . As to your concerns
>> that the inks would be inferior to OEM inks, I can't provide any evidence
>> to the contrary other than my own personal experience and that of
>> numerous other posters in this newsgroup.
>

> I agree that their site is poorly done, try finding Canon i850. A larger
> concern is after finding the BCI3 bulk ink refill page it warns not to use
> pigmented ink if you use it to print color. This is correct but the only
> BC3 black ink that I could find was pigmented. It may be on their site,
> but navagation was so difficult that I coudn't find it. Maybe you can help
> me find it. Their eBay site seems to solve the problem by ignoring it.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 9:01:50 AM

If you go to the Product Line page, the listings there appear to be current.
--
Ron Cohen

> On the http://www.formulabs.com/ site they show a BCI-3PBK dye ink. Click
> on the Quick Find link at the left and then enter Desktop and Canon, then
> on
> the next page select the printer cartridge number and it will show the
> cartridge ink information and which printers it goes with. The list is
> way
> behind form what I can see but the print cartridges are there.
>
> Bob S.
>

> "Ray R" <ray980912@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ron Cohen wrote:
>> > Alotofthings is alive and well, however as posted they are having
> problems
>> > with the software they acquired. Their business is booming, mainly as
> the
>> > result of eBay sales, local shows and their resellers and the web site
> isn't
>> > the main source of orders. This is a link to their eBay store
>> > http://stores.ebay.com/ALOT-OF-THINGS. The prices are better there than
> at
>> > the website. If you have any concerns about the ink, check out the ink
>> > manufacturers website www.formulabs.com . As to your concerns that the
> inks
>> > would be inferior to OEM inks, I can't provide any evidence to the
> contrary
>> > other than my own personal experience and that of numerous other
>> > posters
> in
>> > this newsgroup.
>>

>> I agree that their site is poorly done, try finding Canon i850. A
>> larger concern is after finding the BCI3 bulk ink refill page it warns
>> not to use pigmented ink if you use it to print color. This is correct
>> but the only BC3 black ink that I could find was pigmented. It may be
>> on their site, but navagation was so difficult that I coudn't find it.
>> Maybe you can help me find it. Their eBay site seems to solve the
>> problem by ignoring it.

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:22:49 PM

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> Been following some of the interesting comments in recent threads about
> Canon inks and after reading all that, I have a couple of questions:
>
> I recently purchased the Canon i9900 printer along with a full set of spare
> cartridges. At approximately $12 (USD) per cartridge this is not totally
> outrages compared to some other prices I've seen but if I can lower my costs
> on large prints and still maintain quality and longevity, I'm all for it.
>
> Anyone out there using the Canon i9900 or similar printer that uses the
> BCI-6 cartridges, find a source of quality ink supplies that has a known
> good reputation?
>
> I can find about a zillion suppliers for ink cartridges doing a search but I
> certainly would like to hear from those that sell their prints and use 3rd
> party supplies. From one of the reviews I read, Amazon inks was high
> quality but not as good as the OEM. Comparison for Epson printer and inks.
>
> So for those that have equipped their printers with the larger external
> cartridges and paid the price of admission - who's ink do you use? Any
> comments pro or con are welcomed.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bob S.

Here in Osaka BCI-6 cartridges can be bought for 740yen, which is about $7.
However mailing from Japan could be expensive unless you bought in bulk - eg
2Kgs worth.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:44:30 PM

Ron Cohen wrote:
> Searching by model number isn't too good from them or a number of other
> sites I've visited. With Canon it really isn't all that necessary since the
> same group of cartridges fit so many of their printers. Only a few Canon
> printers such as the BJC3000 (I still have one from) use BCI-3ePBK. The
> warning they put on the web site is entirely valid since using a pigmented
> ink in a printhead designed for dye based inks would be quite a problem. In
> the case of the BCI-3PBK and the other BCI-3 photo inks, a separate photo
> ink printhead assembly is required. The BJC3000 uses the BC-33e assembly for
> standard printing and the BC-34e for photo inks. Only a very few Canon
> models used this ink. Later 4 tank Canon printers (such as the i850) don't
> use dye based BCI-3PBK. They only use pigment base BCI-3BK. I wouldn't say
> they solve the problem on their eBay site by ignoring it. Rather, the market
> for the older photo inks is so small in relation to the current inks that
> they may not have seen the need to list it on eBay. I did find it listed on
> their website under this link
> http://www.alotofthings.com/catalog/bulkinks_canon_bci-... Look at the
> bottom left item - Bulk 3-Color Photo BCI-3e PC/PM/PBK. So, after all this
> your concern about a photo black for the i850 can be laid to rest. The i850
> doesn't use that ink.

I still don't understand. The i850 uses black ink for photo printing.
Your site says don't mix dye and pigmented inks. For color the i850
uses dye inks. The only choice you offer is pigmented black.

http://atlascopy.com/refills/bulkcanon.htm offers a choice for the BCI-3
of either dye or pigmented ink. Thier tech support says to use the
dye ink in the i850. Which is correct mixing pigmented black with color
dye ink or using all dye based ink?

Thanks

Ray
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:41:40 AM

Ron Cohen

> Ron Cohen wrote:
>> Searching by model number isn't too good from them or a number of other
>> sites I've visited. With Canon it really isn't all that necessary since
>> the
>> same group of cartridges fit so many of their printers. Only a few Canon
>> printers such as the BJC3000 (I still have one from) use BCI-3ePBK. The
>> warning they put on the web site is entirely valid since using a
>> pigmented
>> ink in a printhead designed for dye based inks would be quite a problem.
>> In
>> the case of the BCI-3PBK and the other BCI-3 photo inks, a separate photo
>> ink printhead assembly is required. The BJC3000 uses the BC-33e assembly
>> for
>> standard printing and the BC-34e for photo inks. Only a very few Canon
>> models used this ink. Later 4 tank Canon printers (such as the i850)
>> don't
>> use dye based BCI-3PBK. They only use pigment base BCI-3BK. I wouldn't
>> say
>> they solve the problem on their eBay site by ignoring it. Rather, the
>> market
>> for the older photo inks is so small in relation to the current inks that
>> they may not have seen the need to list it on eBay. I did find it listed
>> on
>> their website under this link
>> http://www.alotofthings.com/catalog/bulkinks_canon_bci-... Look at the
>> bottom left item - Bulk 3-Color Photo BCI-3e PC/PM/PBK. So, after all
>> this
>> your concern about a photo black for the i850 can be laid to rest. The
>> i850
>> doesn't use that ink.
>>
> I still don't understand. The i850 uses black ink for photo printing.
> Your site says don't mix dye and pigmented inks. For color the i850
> uses dye inks. The only choice you offer is pigmented black.
>
> http://atlascopy.com/refills/bulkcanon.htm offers a choice for the BCI-3
> of either dye or pigmented ink. Thier tech support says to use the
> dye ink in the i850. Which is correct mixing pigmented black with color
> dye ink or using all dye based ink?
>
> Thanks
> Ray

On the i850 for photo printing, black is a mixture of the three color inks.
The pigmented black is only used when a plain paper (text is assumed) mode
is selected. On the i850 photo black is not an option. Perhaps the easiest
way to see it is to look directly at the printhead carrier. There are slots
for only four tanks. The black (pigmented) tank is physically larger than
the three color tanks. Were you to use a photo black (dye based) ink, which
of the three colors would you remove - Cyan, Magenta or Yellow? I think what
may be confusing to you about the warning statement from the alotofthings
page is that while a number of Canon printers used BCI 3e tanks, only a very
few had the option to also use a separate photo ink print head. This is
where the potential for using the wrong ink could be present. If someone
refilled a photo black tank with pigmented ink, then not only would the inks
not mix properly on the sheet resulting in poor results, printhead damage
would also be likely.
The following is a copy from a posting by John Mills of WeInk. I found it by
doing a google search. I think he fully explains the i850 black ink issue.
=== start of copy ===============================
John Mills Jul 12 2003, 4:02 pm show options

Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
From: "John Mills" <supp...@weink.com> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:02:58 GMT
Subject: Re: Ink consumption question for Canon i850 owners
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message |

If you use the i850 in plain paper standard or High Resolution Paper
standard mode then all true black is handled by the black cartridge.
Any
grayscale other than black is a mix of both black and colors.

Photos printed in plain paper standard mode or High Resolution Paper
standard mode also use the black cartridge for true black in the
photos, however what looks black to your eye may not be black to the
driver and any off black color will be a composite of the colors.

On all other modes the black is composited by the 3 colors.

=== end of copy ===============================

--

Ron Cohen

begin 666 dot_clear.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 3:29:20 PM

> > Your site says don't mix dye and pigmented inks. For color the i850
> > uses dye inks. The only choice you offer is pigmented black.
> >
> > http://atlascopy.com/refills/bulkcanon.htm offers a choice for the
BCI-3
> > of either dye or pigmented ink. Their tech support says to use the
> > dye ink in the i850. Which is correct mixing pigmented black with
color
> > dye ink or using all dye based ink?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ray
>
> On the i850 for photo printing, black is a mixture of the three color
inks.
> The pigmented black is only used when a plain paper (text is assumed)
mode
> is selected.

An interesting hypothesis. One problem is that CY and M ink will not
produce black. It is not within its color gamut. The darkest color CYM
can produce is a dark muddy gray. To test the hypothesis I used
photoshop to print gray scale gradient from 0 to 100%. I looked at the
result under a microscope. Up to 80% gray it is composed of CY and M
dots to produce gray. Above 80% it is black dots to produce darker gray
and black. So at least on my i850 black ink is used to print dark
colors in photo mode. An examination of dark areas on a photograph
shows a mix of colored and black dots. This is true for either photo
mode or plain paper mode.

Now as to the type of ink the BCI3-eBK uses I emailed Canon. A received
an answer within hours even though it was Saturday. The issue of mixing
inks was ignored, but they stated that the black ink is pigmented and
the color ink is dye. Very good tech support from Canon.

My i850 produces very nice prints using Canon pigmented black or dye
based black ink. I can't see any difference. My conclusion is that on
the i850 using a mix of dye and pigmented ink is not a problem. Maybe
it is because of the small dot size that not much mixing takes place.

> On the i850 photo black is not an option.

It is an option for me, but using dye ink does nor appear to give any
different results.

> Perhaps the easiest
> way to see it is to look directly at the print head carrier. There
are slots
> for only four tanks. The black (pigmented) tank is physically larger
than
> the three color tanks. Were you to use a photo black (dye based) ink,
which
> of the three colors would you remove - Cyan, Magenta or Yellow? I
think what
> may be confusing to you about the warning statement from the
alotofthings
> page is that while a number of Canon printers used BCI 3e tanks, only
a very
> few had the option to also use a separate photo ink print head. This is
> where the potential for using the wrong ink could be present. If someone
> refilled a photo black tank with pigmented ink, then not only would
the inks
> not mix properly on the sheet resulting in poor results, printhead
damage
> would also be likely.
> The following is a copy from a posting by John Mills of WeInk. I
found it by
> doing a google search. I think he fully explains the i850 black ink
issue.
> === start of copy ===============================
> John Mills Jul 12 2003, 4:02 pm show options
>
> Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
> From: "John Mills" <supp...@weink.com> - Find messages by
this
> author
> Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:02:58 GMT
> Subject: Re: Ink consumption question for Canon i850 owners
> Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual
Message |

> If you use the i850 in plain paper standard or High Resolution
Paper
> standard mode then all true black is handled by the black
cartridge.
> Any
> gray scale other than black is a mix of both black and colors.
>

> Photos printed in plain paper standard mode or High Resolution
Paper
> standard mode also use the black cartridge for true black in the
> photos, however what looks black to your eye may not be black
to the
> driver and any off black color will be a composite of the colors.
>

> On all other modes the black is composited by the 3 colors.
>

> === end of copy ===============================
>
> --
>
> Ron Cohen

January 10, 2005 4:54:52 AM

Yep, I read it - kinda convoluted and a bass-akward way of saying - "it's
dye ink" so that's why I went to the manf site for reference. Interesting
thread going here and I've been reading a lot of the sites that have been
mentioned here and in another color management related post.

Think I'm gonna go back to B&W film and use flat stones and chisels for my
output......."Flintstone Prints" - now that has a ring to it........;-)

Bob S.

"GB" <guy@dilithiumNO_SPAM.com.au> wrote in message
> it is right too, if you read all of the page I linked to it explains one
of
> Canon's page is wrong and another of their documents for OEMs says it is
> dye. I just hadn't read the full page myself.

January 10, 2005 3:04:12 PM

actually if you read the alotofthings url fully, which I have now, they go
one to explain why the 6BK is dye, not pigment as the Canon tables tries to
say it is. Basically the Canon table gets it wrong and another Canon
document gets it right...

However that doesn't change the fact that with my i865 I never fed more than
a dozen pages of plain paper or HR-101 through it, 99.99% of all its
printing was 6x4 photos. After printing a few hundred 6x4s the BCI-3eBK was
near empty (from brand new). So I really don't care what people try to say
about dye and pigment not mixing, and the 3eBK only being used for text etc,
you can't ignore what happens in front of your eyes.

Oh and exactly the same thing happened with my i850 before that.

!