Sign in with
Your question

CPU <or Video Card> Overheating

Last response: in CPUs
March 21, 2006 4:44:21 PM

I'm running into a problem when I either put a game into the the CD ROM or even open`a folder of thumbnail pictures (say in Picasa).

When I do one of the above - I immediatley hear the fans on my laptop fire up and run at high rpms until the laptop shut's itself down. The laptop gets extremely hot.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A-40 S-161. I've never had this happen before when playing games or viewing pics.

Also - If I'm merely searching the web, checking email, or even playing some online games (say in Flash) - there is no overheating problem.

Do you think this is a CPU Fan or video card problem?

Any suggestions on fixing this?

Thanks.

Marlen
March 21, 2006 8:52:37 PM

well since you have integrated graphix you can rule out the problem of an overheating video card. and since it only happens when you "do" or "open" certain things it may not be overheating but a problem else where.

i would recomend you get some software so that you can check the temps of your hardware. and get back to us on what temps ur getting. "speedfan" is a good one and its free.

also laptops tend to get really hot because of the how close everything is and the battery usually heats up to a good temp after a couiple hours so theres a couple things that could be causing your computer to stutter and shut down.

my guess is that its your hard drive, but get back with those temps and that will help people to narrow down your problem. :D 
March 21, 2006 10:48:24 PM

Ummm... you say this happens when you put a CD ROM in or try to view thumbs on a CD ROM?

Think about it for a second... what you hear is the CDROM spinning up. CDROM drives (especially in laptops) do get hot when in use. The problem is not your video card or CPU. It's your CDROM.

Unless I'm missing something?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 22, 2006 4:51:29 PM

i think he means viewing thumbnails off the hard drive, but i could be wrong.
March 22, 2006 5:18:48 PM

You need to take a can of air and blow out the heatsink on the cpu. Dust over time collects on the fins of the heatsink reducing airflow. Laptops run into this problem all the time. I have had the same problem with mine. Just blow out the heatsink making sure not to overrev the fan with the air. And of course make sure the computer is turned off.
March 22, 2006 5:35:44 PM

You might check for BIOS updates as well. Sometimes with laptops they will release BIOS improvements to that change when the fan turns on to improve cooling.

My laptop would do the same thing opening pictures, I guess opening photos is more taxing on the CPU than you would think. But now it runs like new.
March 23, 2006 10:11:28 PM

Thanks for the response. And especially for the tip on "speedfan". I was trying to locate a temp monitor, but wasn't sure which one to get.

Unfortuanelty my wife took the laptop out to the west coast yesterday and won't be back for a week or so.

Once I get it back, I'll run "speedfan" and get back to you with results...

Thanks again.
March 23, 2006 10:13:52 PM

thanks - I may have an issue with the cd-rom (as well as other issues).

Just to clalrify - the thumbnails in Picasa were on the hard drive (not playing in the CD-ROM). Sorry about the confusion...
March 23, 2006 10:15:47 PM

Quote:
You need to take a can of air and blow out the heatsink on the cpu. Dust over time collects on the fins of the heatsink reducing airflow. Laptops run into this problem all the time. I have had the same problem with mine. Just blow out the heatsink making sure not to overrev the fan with the air. And of course make sure the computer is turned off.

Great advice - and I'll take you up on that...as soon as I get the laptop back.

Thanks for the help.
March 23, 2006 10:17:55 PM

Quote:
You might check for BIOS updates as well. Sometimes with laptops they will release BIOS improvements to that change when the fan turns on to improve cooling.

My laptop would do the same thing opening pictures, I guess opening photos is more taxing on the CPU than you would think. But now it runs like new.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try "speedfan" and blowing out the heatsink to see if that works first. (Flashing the bios always makes me a bit uneasy, but will do it if the other options don't work)

Thanks again...
March 23, 2006 11:04:23 PM

Just a Note:
It could be a Hardware issue, or a CD Rom issue..But it could also be due to the Game(s) you are playing... Not saying it is, but on another forum they speak a Copy protection which is on alot of Game CD's which install s itself to your system and does alot of damage, so they say..you can read about it here:
http://www.glop.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=334

and here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarForce

from how you describe it, it sounds alot like the problems that are encountered with this type of copy protection..System taxes it self, looking for proper verification of access to the game, then shuts itself down..Thinks someone is trying to "toy" with it, so it shuts itself off..
March 23, 2006 11:32:34 PM

that kind of sucks...I thought the sony rootkit was the end of that...NOw we have to worry about the ganes?

Thanks for the heads up.
April 13, 2006 2:13:08 PM

Just got the laptop back and was able to take the back casing off and get to the fans, heatsink and CPU.

Blew it out with air and dust came flying out of every opening on the backside of the laptop. Had no idea so much dust could build up and clog the airflow. It worked! No more shut downs or high revving fans.

Thanks to all for the suggestions...
April 14, 2006 7:54:05 AM

Great I'm glad that worked. I also use a free program called pc wizard made by the same people who make cpu-z. It shows hard drive temps, system temp, and cpu temps which makes it easier to monitor. It also offers several benchmarks similar to sisandra. It tell you just about every minute detail about your system. You can download it for free from their site.

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php
!