Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SuperFast RAM Disks

Last response: in Memory
Share
March 21, 2006 6:00:58 PM

I don't know how many know of this, but it's a pretty nifty program I found. I'm sure we all know what RAM Disks are, where part of your RAM is used as a temp hard drive. It's kind of like the iRAM and other drives but this uses your system RAM vs. buying extra for that. Again, not sure how many people know about it, but I get about 1050MB/s on the RAM Disk which can be used to install stuff, etc. It's pretty neat, only a trial version for free and it's $$$ for full, but it's worth a check out. I recommend having 1GB or more, I have 2GB and set a 512MB RAM Disk, works nice.

http://superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php

Trial Download

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

More about : superfast ram disks

March 21, 2006 6:42:12 PM

What would be cool mike, if you could get enough ram, like 4gb, to install a game on your ram disk then see what kind of fps you can get.
March 22, 2006 6:12:18 PM

i would imagine that load times for games/apps in general would be substantially reduced.
Related resources
March 22, 2006 6:14:29 PM

Quote:
i would imagine that load times for games/apps in general would be substantially reduced.


Considering you're going from avg. of 50MB/s for a hard drive, to over 1GB/s, there will be a near instantaneous load time. But the contents of it get deleted on reboot so if your comp crashes, bye bye data.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 22, 2006 7:23:51 PM

as I'm sure you're aware, working with large video and audio files would certainly benefit from this program. but you better damn well have a UPS. lol.

i'd probably go mad if I made a shite load of changes to a .dwg file and then the power went out!

I might just try it out... thx. ;-)
March 22, 2006 7:27:57 PM

Quote:
as I'm sure you're aware, working with large video and audio files would certainly benefit from this program. but you better damn well have a UPS. lol.

i'd probably go mad if I made a shite load of changes to a .dwg file and then the power went out!

I might just try it out... thx. ;-)


Yeah, I'm tempted to buy another 2GB kit or get a entirely new Opteron 64 system w/ 8GB of RAM and set a 6GB RAM DISK, LOL! That's sick. I have a 512MB one now, gonna use it for LAN Parties when we need to transfer files fast, each of us will use the RAM Disks to get instant transfers, but now that stupid 1GbE is slowing us down grrz, I wish 10GbE wasn't $1000 for a freakin' NIC -.-.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 22, 2006 8:24:09 PM

haha i was just thinking..

"I wonder if you can put the swap file on the ramdisk??"

i can decide if its stupid or not.. yes your using ram for virtural ram.. but that would be considerably faster than using the harddrive.. seems like a way to force windows to use the ram one way or another...

prolly stupid...
March 22, 2006 8:42:28 PM

Quote:
haha i was just thinking..

"I wonder if you can put the swap file on the ramdisk??"

i can decide if its stupid or not.. yes your using ram for virtural ram.. but that would be considerably faster than using the harddrive.. seems like a way to force windows to use the ram one way or another...

prolly stupid...


I have done this on a machine, and it works. Windows will say all your RAM Disks are part of Virtual Memory, so a 512MB RAM Disk shows 512MB more in Virtual Memory. But yes, you can put your Page File on this, I haven't tested performance, as I find that a waste of my RAM Disk.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 22, 2006 8:53:08 PM

That's not a bad idea actually... you'd need 4GB of memory to really pull it off though. You could do it w/ 2GB I suppose... but you might run into problems if you've got a lot going on (multitasking wise).

-mpjesse
March 22, 2006 8:58:15 PM

Surely you might as well jsut run with 4gb ram and no swap file? :/ 
March 22, 2006 9:05:13 PM

Quote:
That's not a bad idea actually... you'd need 4GB of memory to really pull it off though. You could do it w/ 2GB I suppose... but you might run into problems if you've got a lot going on (multitasking wise).

-mpjesse


A friend of mine with a Dual AMD Opteron 64 rig is thinking of buying 4GB-8GB of RAM and having a 2-6GB RAM Disk, that would be sick.

ON a side note, Windows Disk Management doesn't recognize a RAM Disk, so AFAIK, you CAN'T RAID them.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 22, 2006 9:07:26 PM

Something that IS awesome, is if you had a 10GbE or 1GbE network, and ran some high-performance-needed apps, you can Cluster RAM Disks linearly and, for example, have 10 servers with each 1GB of RAM Disk and have a Single 10GB RAM Disk for use, which is insane.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 22, 2006 10:04:57 PM

I installed 3DMARK05 on a 750MB RAM DISK out of 2GB of RAM (I installed RAM Disk Plus Desktop Full Edition). Loading times were the same (shockingly), but I gained 2 frames per second in the tests, so it's something.

EDIT: To those who run x64, this is something great: I get 1050MB/s under 32-bit, but under 64-bit, the performance more than DOUBLES to 2300MB/s, hehe.

EDIT2: http://spare2.com/bench/index.html - That's a screen of cached HDD in a RAID 5, it can basically be taken as a RAM DISK. It gets 4.5GB/s using Linux x64.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 22, 2006 10:17:47 PM

Yup that was on FC3 x86_64 on a Dual Opteron 252 with 4GB RAM :-D

Stole that from a guy @ the LUG.
April 14, 2006 2:15:06 PM

I was thinking of getting the i-RAM as well since I had the spare PCI slot and sata port there in my machine, but then I remembered THG also mentioned in their review another solution, the HyperDrive III by HyperOS.

Well I went to their website and as it happens they have a new version the HyperDrive IV.

Highlights:

1. It can take upto 16GB!!! of RAM
2. Doesn't use up a precious PCI slot
3. Retains power if computer is rebooted or shutdown
4. Also offers battery backup option
5. Lets you connect a drive directly to the board as memory backup device.

I don't know what you might be thinking, but I put my money on this baby.

For starters, I would without hesitation rather fill up a useless empty 5.25 inch bay then sacrifice a PCI slot. Especially when SLI can take away the space of 4 slots in itself.

Second, 16GB is way more useful than 4 or 8 will ever be. When you think that a regular 20GB HDD has about 18GB available after formatting, then 16GB of super-fast instant space opens up a lot of opportunities!!!

It is expensive - $1048 on their website for the 16GB version, and thats WITHOUT the ram! - but you do get what you pay for. And the fact that you can now have 16GB of instant silent storage space is something I for one as an enthusiast would be willing to pay for.

I can just imagine how amazing things will be after I install this!!!
April 14, 2006 2:43:51 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of getting the i-RAM as well since I had the spare PCI slot and sata port there in my machine, but then I remembered THG also mentioned in their review another solution, the HyperDrive III by HyperOS.

Well I went to their website and as it happens they have a new version the HyperDrive IV.

Highlights:

1. It can take upto 16GB!!! of RAM
2. Doesn't use up a precious PCI slot
3. Retains power if computer is rebooted or shutdown
4. Also offers battery backup option
5. Lets you connect a drive directly to the board as memory backup device.

I don't know what you might be thinking, but I put my money on this baby.

For starters, I would without hesitation rather fill up a useless empty 5.25 inch bay then sacrifice a PCI slot. Especially when SLI can take away the space of 4 slots in itself.

Second, 16GB is way more useful than 4 or 8 will ever be. When you think that a regular 20GB HDD has about 18GB available after formatting, then 16GB of super-fast instant space opens up a lot of opportunities!!!

It is expensive - $1048 on their website for the 16GB version, and thats WITHOUT the ram! - but you do get what you pay for. And the fact that you can now have 16GB of instant silent storage space is something I for one as an enthusiast would be willing to pay for.

I can just imagine how amazing things will be after I install this!!!




The problem with these devices is that they connect to the system over an SATA or PATA IDE interface which is relatively extremely slow.

A RAM disk made out of system RAM would be much faster.

PATA IDE 133 = 133MB/sec
SATA1 = 150MB/sec
SATA2 = 300MB/sec
U160 = 160MB/sec
U320 = 320MB/sec

PC3200 RAM = 6.4GB/sec in dual channel
PC2-1066 RAM = 8.5GB/sec

All numbers are MAX theoretical.
April 14, 2006 2:47:49 PM

Linux, you meant:

DDR2-1066: 17GB/s

You just typed it differently :-P.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 14, 2006 2:50:41 PM

Very, very cool. It won't work well for me; 1GB of RAM probably isn't enough.
April 14, 2006 2:55:35 PM

Brain malfunction

PC2-8500 = DDR2 1066 = 8.5GB/sec in 64bit mode

PC2-8500 = DDR2 1006 = 17GB/sec in 128bit mode
April 14, 2006 3:20:31 PM

See ddrdrive.com They are trying to get their product out the door for the 939 to AM2 update so people have something to use their DDR for. It is set to use the PCIe slot which helps a lot in this instance. The others are stuck with PCI or Pata or Sata bandwidth, which IS restrictive for this tech (Actually PCIe X1 is still restrictive if you've got enough Ram)
April 14, 2006 3:49:36 PM

Quote:
See ddrdrive.com They are trying to get their product out the door for the 939 to AM2 update so people have something to use their DDR for. It is set to use the PCIe slot which helps a lot in this instance. The others are stuck with PCI or Pata or Sata bandwidth, which IS restrictive for this tech (Actually PCIe X1 is still restrictive if you've got enough Ram)



I would like to see an X16 DDR drive :-D
April 14, 2006 3:51:52 PM

PCIe x16 seems a bit of overkill unless you had 32X2GB sticks or something, I think x4 or x8 would be a good idea though.
April 14, 2006 4:01:32 PM

Quote:
PCIe x16 seems a bit of overkill unless you had 32X2GB sticks or something, I think x4 or x8 would be a good idea though.




PCI-Express X16 is only 4GB/sec simplex or 8GB/sec duplex

A single PC3200 stick can theoretically push 3.2GB/sec

2 PC3200 sticks in Dual Channel can can theoretically push 6.4GB/sec

Ideally you would want a DDR drive like that to have a Dual or Quad channel DDR controller.
April 14, 2006 4:11:31 PM

As many channels as Sticks would make sense, but my point is that it seems very cost prohibitive to use this tech at its finest AND I don't want to waste a PCIe X16 slot for it (well not until motherboards are come with 5+ PCIe x16 slots anyway). How often is anyone going to be using 8GB's a sec of bandwidth on a PC? Sounds like a good number to shoot for, but more is going to be something current technology is going to need to catch up to first, you know for when Microsuck has a OS using 2TB of your systems ram just at idle (in other words in a few years :)  )
April 14, 2006 4:16:35 PM

Quote:
As many channels as Sticks would make sense, but my point is that it seems very cost prohibitive to use this tech at its finest AND I don't want to waste a PCIe X16 slot for it (well not until motherboards are come with 5+ PCIe x16 slots anyway). How often is anyone going to be using 8GB's a sec of bandwidth on a PC? Sounds like a good number to shoot for, but more is going to be something current technology is going to need to catch up to first, you know for when Microsuck has a OS using 2TB of your systems ram just at idle (in other words in a few years :)  )



I would get an SLI board or a board with 2 or more X16 slots and use one of the extra X16 slots ;-)

Although a 2, 4 or 8way Opteron 64 with a giant RAM disk in system RAM is a much better choice :-D
April 14, 2006 4:21:32 PM

Quote:
haha i was just thinking..

"I wonder if you can put the swap file on the ramdisk??"

i can decide if its stupid or not.. yes your using ram for virtural ram.. but that would be considerably faster than using the harddrive.. seems like a way to force windows to use the ram one way or another...

prolly stupid...



In this instance wouldn't you be better off turning off virtual memory all together?
April 14, 2006 4:31:27 PM

This is very cool! Now someone just needs to make some cheap&fast non-volitile memory and voila! Gaming nirvana!
April 14, 2006 4:31:45 PM

Yeah, using one slot of an SLI board is good idea. I've heard of lots of issues using RAID controllers in them, though, so I wonder if this would be any different. I figure, that is you can use PCIe X1 cards in X16 slots, we might as well just got with all x16 slots, and use the bios to determine what connection each slot gets 16/8/4/2/1 (heck you could probably set it up for weird settings inbetween, too). Opteron's with lots of system memory seems like a better idea to me too, but what about both together? :) 
April 14, 2006 4:53:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, using one slot of an SLI board is good idea. I've heard of lots of issues using RAID controllers in them, though, so I wonder if this would be any different. I figure, that is you can use PCIe X1 cards in X16 slots, we might as well just got with all x16 slots, and use the bios to determine what connection each slot gets 16/8/4/2/1 (heck you could probably set it up for weird settings inbetween, too). Opteron's with lots of system memory seems like a better idea to me too, but what about both together? :) 




The are SLI capable 2, 4 and 8 way Opteron boards which have 2 X16 slots AND PCI-X :-D
April 14, 2006 5:09:37 PM

Yeah, I am aware of that, but for a home computer, the tyan 2877 seems like the best fit (it's still ATX, too). Let's wait an see what socket F motherboards bring to the table. I want to see if a HTX slot will be usable anywhere.
April 14, 2006 5:38:39 PM

MadMod, why would you want to RAID your RAM drive? Wouldn't be more effective to just make sure to have ECC memory?

If you were thinking of doing striping only, I don't think you could squeeze any extra performance out.

Regarding turning off your Virtual memory, this is generally a bad idea, as to my memory, Windows uses memory less efficiently, when there's no virtual memory to fall back on. To my recollection, ideally, you want about 1.5x-2x physical as a static virtual memory file on your computer for optimum performance. Although, if you don't max out your PC's RAM often, you probably won't notice anyway.

Regarding using your RAM as a RAM drive to hold your memory, I think there is this one important fact:
If you have enough memory, you won't hit your virtual memory often anyway.

That means you'll be wasting your RAMDRIVE space, unless maybe you set it as variable size, and then put other files there, and just expect it to not grow.

Personally I find small (64MB) RAM drives useful for things like browser cache. Old versions of IE had issues where occassionally the cache would get corrupt, and get annoying. This way, restarting would 100% wipe out the cached files, and just your URL history and maybe cookies would remain. Just one thing to remember if you do this, though. If your cache is smaller than a file you download, IE will just truncate a downloaded file, and you'll get a useless download. It does this even if you "Save As". You'll need to use a downloader, or FireFox.

Just my two cents,

John
April 14, 2006 6:10:33 PM

What do you put on it? I do have 4 gig of ram would like to keep 1.5 or so free to play battle field. What kind of programs can i use the ram for to take advantage of the speed, as putting jpgs,mp3 would be pointless.

Would they carry programs like these in pc shops? i dont have internet at home yet and so cant download .

Thanks
April 14, 2006 6:12:29 PM

You are right in that system memory would be faster. Considerably faster. The idea of using system RAM ain't bad, but in order to get plenty of it your only real choice is getting a server board with adequate RAM slots. XP 32bit also has a 4GB limit, as far as I am aware, although x64 I believe has pushed that limit out a fair bit.

Yes, 133MB/s and 150MB/s isn't going to shatter any speed records. You could probably get better results with a 6 or 8 drive Raptor arrangement in RAID 0 with a good controller and some cache. Heck, it may even be cheaper.

I would still qualify the HyperDrive as an option. 150MB/s isn't exactly slow either, and it will be faster than any single drive, probably AS FAST as a two drive Raptor RAID 0.

And you can add it easily onto your existing system, no need to replace that great SLI OC mobo that's already running cool.

The ddrdrive has potential to be faster due to the PCIe connection, but it once again goes back to using up a valuable slot space that could be used for something better, and is likewise stuck with the four module limit.

I would definitely expand system memory first if it was possible on a mobo and use the technique introduced by MMM here, but where that is not possible, or you don't want to replace your mobo, I think the HyperDrive, or if you can spare a slot space, then the ddrdrive would be a reasonable alternative.

I eagerly await the day that hybrid drives show up to see how their memory performs.
April 14, 2006 7:18:30 PM

Now you're talking, how about RAID 5 (or 6 even) with 4 hybrid raptors, with 1GB of cache each! :) 
April 15, 2006 5:32:35 PM

Quote:
haha i was just thinking..

"I wonder if you can put the swap file on the ramdisk??"

i can decide if its stupid or not.. yes your using ram for virtural ram.. but that would be considerably faster than using the harddrive.. seems like a way to force windows to use the ram one way or another...

prolly stupid...



In this instance wouldn't you be better off turning off virtual memory all together?

you cannot turn virtual memory off in windows xp practically.
April 15, 2006 5:36:36 PM

Quote:
haha i was just thinking..

"I wonder if you can put the swap file on the ramdisk??"

i can decide if its stupid or not.. yes your using ram for virtural ram.. but that would be considerably faster than using the harddrive.. seems like a way to force windows to use the ram one way or another...

prolly stupid...



In this instance wouldn't you be better off turning off virtual memory all together?

you cannot turn virtual memory off in windows xp practically.

Not entirely, no, but there are several registry hacks and tweaks that you can use to tell Windows to use alot more memory than Page File. It increases performance from 0% to 12%, give or take.

As I said before, RAM Disks are especially useful for Corporate or even other environments where you have, say, 10 servers with 2GB of RAM or more each. You can set a 1GB RAM Disk on each Server, and you can actually RAID them across a network and have a single 10GB RAID Disk, this would be great for a Web Server for an Intranet that wants fault tolerance and speed.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 15, 2006 11:12:13 PM

Quote:
http://www.ramdisk.tk/

This is the one I've been experimenting around last year.

e-mail the d00d and he'll give you the enterprise version for free.


I have the Server and Desktop versions of the website I posted in my first post from that website, they're all full version and enterprise edition.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
!