generic host process

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have a broadband connection and according to Zonealarm the generic host
process is downloading a huge amount of data. The icon for my connection is
almost permanently lit. According to the status of my connection I have
download 87 mb in 50 minutes despite not having downloaded anything myself.
My windows update is off so it cant be that. I am on a limited account on
my pc. Could windows update be active on it? Have I a virus? I am really
worried. Can anyone help me?

Jake
1 answer Last reply
More about generic host process
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi,

    Is Automatic Updates off, or just set to download and prompt for install?
    Sounds like you could be getting SP2 in the background. Have you checked
    with someone with an admin logon yet?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Jake" <me@home.com> wrote in message
    >I have a broadband connection and according to Zonealarm the generic host
    > process is downloading a huge amount of data. The icon for my connection
    > is
    > almost permanently lit. According to the status of my connection I have
    > download 87 mb in 50 minutes despite not having downloaded anything
    > myself.
    > My windows update is off so it cant be that. I am on a limited account on
    > my pc. Could windows update be active on it? Have I a virus? I am really
    > worried. Can anyone help me?
    >
    > Jake

Connection Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP