New Computer, how does this look?

Jeffreyg4

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Ok guys, i have been going threw forums for months now and have finally decided on a computer.

i would like to kno if this computer is a gaming beast and if there is anything i should change to make it better. i will NOT be overclocking at all so i need to pick good stock parts.

LINK --> http://secure.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=2227928&platformid=1000

Money is an issue so if there is anyway to decrese the price of this computer i would be open to Sugjestions.

Thank you. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

- Jeff

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
That is a sweet pc.... to cheapen the setup, go for the 4200+ X2 instead of the 4400+, that should cut the price a lot. Ummm... the soundcard is amazing stuff, but if you really want to make things cheaper, i would recommend you an Audigy 4, not as good, but good enough to sweeten the gaming experience and anything to do with audio. Apart from that... go for it!

a1ien

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Get some better RAM. I suggest Corsair or OCZ or Mushkin with some tighter timings, other than that everything looks great.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
go with the opteron 165 rather than the x2. Better performance and better overclock later if you decide. I would also go with x1900xt. I mean it is a fantastic card that hasn't been completely tromped by nividia yet. It is way good to me. Plus it is like 200 bucks cheaper! Anyhow, other than that it looks good.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
bluefinger always remember bottlenecks. You want to go with the fast x-fi. The card is what needs the change as well as the ram.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
go with the opteron 165 rather than the x2. Better performance and better overclock later if you decide. I would also go with x1900xt. I mean it is a fantastic card that hasn't been completely tromped by nividia yet. It is way good to me. Plus it is like 200 bucks cheaper! Anyhow, other than that it looks good.
A 165 will not out perform a 4400+. He said no overclocking. :roll:

Jeffreyg4

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
there is no need to change the RAM, i will not be overclocking at all. so no need for fast ram. now as for the Motherboard, is this a good choice? if you can find a better one one www.ncix.com please give me a link so i can look into it. please keep it around the same price level ($120 canadian) and i would prefer non SLI.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
The best AMD boards are DFI, but are very overclocker friendly. There are alot of boards that will give the same performance, some cheaper.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I'm not the greatest with all the configs and way too lazy to play with DFI my a8n sli prem is perfect for me. Though DFI sounds coo

a1ien

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
there is no need to change the RAM, i will not be overclocking at all. so no need for fast ram. now as for the Motherboard, is this a good choice? if you can find a better one one www.ncix.com please give me a link so i can look into it. please keep it around the same price level ($120 canadian) and i would prefer non SLI.

I thought you wanted it to be a...

gaming beast

If so, go with some better RAM with tighter timings. You can find some for just as cheap or perhaps cheaper than that 211 dollars you are spending on the Value-RAM.

Jeffreyg4

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
thx for links, if you think that this one is better however, i will stick with it. But i dont really like the colour. but that doesent really matter. now as for RAM since im not overclocking getting CL2 ram would not have ANY impact on games. so theres no reason to spend more money on RAM when i dont really have to. am i correct?

steveosazninvazn

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
It looks good, but for now, just about all games only utilize one core, so unless your going to do some multitasking, you could save some cash by just buying a single core AMD processor.

a1ien

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
You are wrong. 2-2-2-5 is best. 2-3-2-5 is realy good. 2-3-3-7 is good.

...yes, best for... OVERCLOCKING. i will NOT be overclocking so i have no need for the Best and most Expensive RAM.

I'm sorry, I didn't see the word OVERCLOCKING anywhere in Conroe's statement... did you put it in there between the lines Conroe? I must be going blind...
The point is 2-2-2-5 are some of the best timings PERIOD. Not just for overclocking. But anyways... if you want to stick to your Value-RAM, go right ahead, even though you can get much better RAM with lower latencies for pretty much the same price. Low latency DDR400 Dual Channel 2GB kits are nearly as expensive as they were a year ago.

Jeffreyg4

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Patriot Dual Channel PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 184PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

^ that is the best kit i can find on www.ncix.com without costing an Extreme amount of money over the Value ram price, is that good eneugh?

TRENDING THREADS