Sound stuttering. Any cures??

I just bought a new Dell XPS Gen2 laptop (specs as in profile below),
which runs FS9 better than any desktop I've ever owned. But I have a
problem with the sound. It's not there all the time - so I know the
laptop can do better. But far too often engine sounds produce rapid
stuttering, which is very disconcerting (and disappointing).

Nothing I change seems to make any difference - half the time I get
the sound problems, half the time I don't. (The sound is onboard -
I've ordered an Audigy Z2 notebook PCMCIA card today, though not sure
if that will help if I thought it would cure the problem, but, as I
say, if the sound is good half the time, why not the other half?). I
have tried:

Rebooting - Setting the sound quality to medium, then low - using
FsStart to kill off any other programmes (though as I don't use the
laptop for internet I don't have any really instrusive software
installed to be honest) - changing the display settings, which I have
quite high, though not maximum - changing the sound files that
different planes use .....

Any advice on how to get nice smooth sound 99% of the time much
appreciated. If the laptop can run the graphics so smoothly (it is
really wonderful!) then there must be a way of getting the same from
the audio side too (??).

Thanks!!

Martin

er, forgotten specs, for what they are worth!!

M.

Dell XP2 Gen2 Laptop: Pentium M770 2.13 GHz: GeForce Go 6800 Ultra
graphics: 1024MB DDR RAM 533MHz: Windows XP-SP2: 17" Widescreen
1920x1200

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:57:32 +0000 (UTC), Martin S. <Martin S@ms.com>
postulated :
>I just bought a new Dell XPS Gen2 laptop (specs as in profile below),
>which runs FS9 better than any desktop I've ever owned. But I have a
>problem with the sound. It's not there all the time - so I know the
>laptop can do better. But far too often engine sounds produce rapid
>stuttering, which is very disconcerting (and disappointing).

(snipped the rest)

My system also stutters but only the ATC voices. Never noticed engine
or aircraft sounds having a problem. Never have found the common
denominator.

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:19:54 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> postulated :
>Maybe worth trying earphones or some different speakers?

Should have mentioned it is the same symptom with or without head
phones. I think I'll slide traffic percentage down from 100% to say
60% and see if that effects anything.

dallas

<Greasy Rider© @invalid.com>
> My system also stutters but only the ATC voices.

Mine did that too until I turned the frame rate limiter down to 20 fps.

Dallas

Hmmm.. thanks for the comments. Re. traffic, it's true that at many
smaller airrports, unless you have the traffic density set to 98% or
99% there are many aircraft that do not show up (this is with Ultimate
Traffic, doubtless true of the default too) - you can see exactly
which ones by using SDK Traffic Tools (where the traffic percentages
needed to show them are marked). There's also a tool called
AISeparation (AVSIM) which allows you to weed out the traffic
selectively, but as it seems to be on an airport to airport basis,
it's quite labour intensive (unless I have misunderstood the
instructions!).

As for the sound - well last night flew for a couple of hours and no
problems. No idea what sets the stuttering off. The ood hiccup every
minute or so is fine, but the stuttering I sometimes get can be two or
three times every few seconds ... I'll keep investigating,

M.

I don't know how you can run the Sim with 100% traffic anyway. I find that ,
at those high levels of traffic, it is almost impossible to interact with
ATC because there are so many AI voice messages. I know that in real life ,
ATC communications can be very busy - but I get the feeling in the Sim that
it is beyond that.

Barry

<Greasy Rider© @invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:19:54 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
> <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> postulated :
> >Maybe worth trying earphones or some different speakers?
>
> Should have mentioned it is the same symptom with or without head
> phones. I think I'll slide traffic percentage down from 100% to say
> 60% and see if that effects anything.

Arthur

Only in the U.S.A., Barry. Fly out of the U.S.A. into Mexico or Canada, and
the ATC transmissions drop way down. Even in Europe and the rest of the
world, there are 1/3 the number of transmissions.

IRL, the transmissions in 'big city' locations, can be almost one on top of
the other at peak hours. For the life of me, I can't figure out how the
pilots cope with them.

FWIW, I get the stuttering on occasion by the ATC. I just chalk it up as a
computer thingie and forget about it. I don't believe you can obtain
complete enjoyment of this program if you are a perfectionist....not yet,
anyway.

A-A-A-A-rthur

Enjoy the scenery, enjoy the sensation of flying and just don't sweat the
details over which we have little control.

(S-S-S-S-nip)
"Barry Ward" <wardb3@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
I know that in real life ,
> ATC communications can be very busy - but I get the feeling in the Sim
> that
> it is beyond that.
>
> Barry

Does anyone else have a problem where sometimes, especially just before
landing, a loud tone will start beeing?

This isn't some sort of emergency warning, though it can sound like
that. It's a sound glitch. Pausing the game and unpausing fixes it.

Seems to happen with lots of stuff is going on, ie, when the system is
taxed. It happened to me in the last version of FS and it happens in
the current one, but this is the only application it happens with.

John

dallas

"The Man Behind The Curtain
> Does anyone else have a problem where sometimes, especially just before
> landing, a loud tone will start beeping?

John, are you sure you're not talking about a marker beacon enunciator?

Danger Puppy

Martin S. <Martin S@ms.com> wrote:
> I just bought a new Dell XPS Gen2 laptop (specs as in profile below),
> which runs FS9 better than any desktop I've ever owned. But I have a
> problem with the sound. It's not there all the time - so I know the
> laptop can do better. But far too often engine sounds produce rapid
> stuttering, which is very disconcerting (and disappointing).
>
> Nothing I change seems to make any difference - half the time I get
> the sound problems, half the time I don't. (The sound is onboard -
> I've ordered an Audigy Z2 notebook PCMCIA card today, though not sure
> if that will help if I thought it would cure the problem, but, as I
> say, if the sound is good half the time, why not the other half?). I
> have tried:
>
> Rebooting - Setting the sound quality to medium, then low - using
> FsStart to kill off any other programmes (though as I don't use the
> laptop for internet I don't have any really instrusive software
> installed to be honest) - changing the display settings, which I have
> quite high, though not maximum - changing the sound files that
> different planes use .....
>
> Any advice on how to get nice smooth sound 99% of the time much
> appreciated. If the laptop can run the graphics so smoothly (it is
> really wonderful!) then there must be a way of getting the same from
> the audio side too (??).
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Martin

Try running dxdiag, go to sound tab and adjust sound acceleration level.
This worked for me.

I did try that - made no difference I'm afraid, so I turned it back up
to full .... Still waiting for my Audigy PC Card, which may help...

Martin

>Try running dxdiag, go to sound tab and adjust sound acceleration level.
>This worked for me.

TRENDING THREADS