Antivirus for windows 7

npowers86

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
i am new to windows 7 from mac. and i need some good software for security. i did a trial of nod32 which was great and worked good in the background, but if i dont have to pay for the security i would prefer not to. is the free version of avg a good product? also is there any security software that is recommended?
thanks for the replies

i am using windows 7 64bit
i7-870
4gb corsair dominator
sapphire 4870 1gb
60gb vertex 2 ssd
1tb samsung spinpoint
650 watt ultra power supply

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
A lot of people typically run a free version of AVG or Avast in combination with MalwareBytes as a secondary, manual scanner. You'll have to wait for opinions on that setup, as I myself have a free subscription to Norton through my ISP, but I do have MalwareBytes installed just in case something would get past that needed more extensive scanning and removal.

npowers86

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
thanks for the replies.

would i only need microsoft security essentials? i mean as my only software?

also does the malwarebytes slow down the computer at all, i dont want anything taking up alot of resources

D

Deleted member 217926

I have used the free version of Avira for years with no problems. Microsoft Security Essentials is also a solid choice as is Avast.

D

Deleted member 217926

Malwarebytes is a scanner only. Just run it once a month.

4745454b

Titan
An Avira user here.

Remember to keep windows updated. Surf with something other then IE. (firefox with no script running is a great idea.) and run behind a router. Should be all the protection you need unless someone is actually trying to hack you.

Stupido

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I used BitDiffender 2009 and was not happy due to frequent crashes... I bought 3 licenses for all home computers (2 x Win XP & 1 x Vista) and on XP was quite OK but in Vista was very unstable and annoying...

But since the support expired I just installed MSE and so far, I like it, thus +1 for Microsoft Security Essentials...

TRENDING THREADS