Antivirus for windows 7

i am new to windows 7 from mac. and i need some good software for security. i did a trial of nod32 which was great and worked good in the background, but if i dont have to pay for the security i would prefer not to. is the free version of avg a good product? also is there any security software that is recommended?
thanks for the replies

i am using windows 7 64bit
i7-870
4gb corsair dominator
sapphire 4870 1gb
60gb vertex 2 ssd
1tb samsung spinpoint
650 watt ultra power supply
answers
Last reply
More about antivirus windows
  1. A lot of people typically run a free version of AVG or Avast in combination with MalwareBytes as a secondary, manual scanner. You'll have to wait for opinions on that setup, as I myself have a free subscription to Norton through my ISP, but I do have MalwareBytes installed just in case something would get past that needed more extensive scanning and removal.
  2. Stay away from AVG, the free version has been shown to lock systems for the last few months. As much as the rebel in me hates to say it, Microsoft Security Essentials is a solid freeware choice.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_AntiVirus_Free_Edition_d886.html
  3. thanks for the replies.

would i only need microsoft security essentials? i mean as my only software?

also does the malwarebytes slow down the computer at all, i dont want anything taking up alot of resources
  4. I have used the free version of Avira for years with no problems. Microsoft Security Essentials is also a solid choice as is Avast.
  5. npowers86 said:
    thanks for the replies.

would i only need microsoft security essentials? i mean as my only software?

also does the malwarebytes slow down the computer at all, i dont want anything taking up alot of resources

Malwarebytes is a scanner only. Just run it once a month.
  6. what would be the benefits then of a paid antivirus over microsoft security essentials?
  7. An 800 number for support
  8. Yup Avast is good, better IMO than MSE, new sandbox feature quite welcome!
  9. thanks for all the responses.

so avast or microsoft security essentials is all i would need??
  10. I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and not very demanding. It takes care of all your anti-virus needs.
  11. I just saw a new comparison of anti virus software and Avira was at the top. MCSE did not do so well. LIke I said above I have used Avira for years with no problems.

http://www.freewaregenius.com/2009/04/07/the-best-free-antivirus-a-comparison/

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/collection/1597/free_antivirus_software.html
  12. Agreed go with Microsoft Security Essentials
  13. Avast and Malwarebytes work for me.
  14. An Avira user here.

Remember to keep windows updated. Surf with something other then IE. (firefox with no script running is a great idea.) and run behind a router. Should be all the protection you need unless someone is actually trying to hack you.
  15. I used BitDiffender 2009 and was not happy due to frequent crashes... I bought 3 licenses for all home computers (2 x Win XP & 1 x Vista) and on XP was quite OK but in Vista was very unstable and annoying...

But since the support expired I just installed MSE and so far, I like it, thus +1 for Microsoft Security Essentials...
  16. Outpost have a free internet security suite.
  17. I recommend Avira, it's the best antivirus according to this site.
  18. If you want a cheap one get bit deender its working for me.
  19. Bitdefender <Sorry
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Security Antivirus