Makeing Fans at FULL speed

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Fan
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
March 22, 2006 12:27:00 AM

Was wondering if there was a way to get case/cpu fans to run at full speed all the time.Is there a way to hard wire them ? i know the 7volt trick,but that makes them slower. Im useing a fan bus with three fans all on a seprate power supply but the fan buse only has 2 speed settings and i know they spin faster than that? any ideas? thanks :?:

More about : makeing fans full speed

March 22, 2006 12:35:09 AM

google > speedfan

d/l install u can set how fast u want them to run
March 22, 2006 12:40:29 AM

thanks for reply, But will Speedfan work if my 3 case fans are only plugged into my second PSU? they are not connected to the motherboard in anyway
Its an AT PSU so id doesnt plug into MB
Related resources
March 22, 2006 1:46:51 AM

if the fans are connected to you rmobo speedfan will detect them and let u control them
March 22, 2006 5:26:55 PM

I dont know if you noticed but i sayed the fans are NOT connected to the mobo they are connected to a seperate AT style PSU thats not plugged into MOBO either

thanks for your reply though
March 22, 2006 6:37:40 PM

Quote:
Was wondering if there was a way to get case/cpu fans to run at full speed all the time.Is there a way to hard wire them ? i know the 7volt trick,but that makes them slower. Im useing a fan bus with three fans all on a seprate power supply but the fan buse only has 2 speed settings and i know they spin faster than that? any ideas? thanks :?:

If you want them full speed 24/7... why use the fan bus? If you have a 2 position switched fan bus... you may find that there is a small variable resistor near each control knob that you can adjust the overall voltage with. Other then that, you would have to introduce another sitch that toggles between the controller, and straight 12v.

Since you are using a second power supply, have you verified your power supply's 12 volt output, and your fan buss's output? Also, are your fan's ratings higher then what the fan bus is rated for?... just questions for thought.
March 22, 2006 7:53:26 PM

maybe try looking at fan control modules?

they fit into a spare 5.25' bay
March 24, 2006 2:11:48 PM

thanks for the reply the fan bus im usein acually has off,low,med,hi but it seems that the fans run faster hooked up to my in case PSU which is a 435 watt the one with the fanse is a mere 150 watt. The reason im useung a fan bus is because i like to be able to turn them on and off at will. you said something about the resistor in the fan bus between the swithces can you elaborate a little on that? thanks ps:i do not know what my fan bus is rated at i figured they were all the same but i guess not
March 24, 2006 4:43:46 PM

I was going to ask what each channel on your fan bus's amperage is rated at. We also need to know what the amperage is for each of your fans.

The 150watt power supply you mentioned is a 150watt AT style... and obviously the 12v rail can't supply all th voltage and amperage your fan's probably need (you would have to check the ratings on the PS's sticker.

Question? Why are you not using your main power supply to power everything? If connector amounts are a problem... buy a "splitter". If the 430 isn't strong enough to power your hole system, you would be better off buying an higher rated one.

There are ways to get 2 ATX style power supplies to work together... but again, why all the hassel? There are dedicated 12v power supplies available... but your looking at about $100, so your in the ball park for a more powerful main power supply.

If you have a link to the type of fan controller you have... I could possible spot a picture that I could point out the variable resistor on. I have a feeling though that the AT power supply is more of the problem then the voltage regulator on the controller (if even there). Most fan busses do slightly lower your fan's top speed... but usually it is of minimal consequence.
March 24, 2006 4:54:05 PM

You can short it by taking out the third wire and just use the negative and positive wire, the black and red wire. It should run at full speed for the mobo wont be able to control it without the third or ground wire. :D  Or get the speedfan software at majorgeeks.com and manually control the fan from there.
March 24, 2006 5:04:34 PM

Quote:
You can short it by taking out the third wire and just use the negative and positive wire, the black and red wire. It should run at full speed for the mobo wont be able to control it without the third or ground wire. :D  Or get the speedfan software at majorgeeks.com and manually control the fan from there.

I don't think you totally understand what he is trying to accomplish. If he just wants an on/off switch... he could by some mini's, mount to a blank drive plate... and split the power feed wire...

If THAT is all he wants... then a bit of soldering skill, switches, and some wire can handle the job.
March 24, 2006 5:28:07 PM

Got it, well, in that case why not just get a fan controller? Yeah, you can do it with a switch by placing the switch on the third wire and flipping it on and off would be like from 40% to 100% fan rpm. But you can pick up a single fan controller for very cheap and just plug, then viola!, problem solve. :D 

A ZALMAN FAN MATE 2 is a cheap and simple fan controller.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

:D  :D  :D 
March 29, 2006 5:05:01 PM

thanks for reply i just want to know what do you mean by "minis"
March 29, 2006 5:07:15 PM

THANKS to everyone who gave me some scrumptous tidbits on how to get my fans at full speed or even overspeed drive :twisted: i dont geiv a crap about noise level cpu is under desk anyways thanks for the links guys i think my problem has been solved peace out you modder freaks 8)
!