Barnes & Noble Launches Two New Nook Tablets Priced to Kill

Status
Not open for further replies.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I was excited until I read that the 7" model only has 512MB of RAM. My tablet with 1GB of RAM hits the ceiling frequently so it seems to be a weird corner to cut, especially when you are talking about how much power this thing is packing. I realize that they have to cut corners to get to the 199$ price tag but that seems a poor place to cut.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
It's good to hear that B&N is actually morphing to address a consumer base rather than sticking to the "mostly books" avenue. These sound like great alternatives to Kindle Fire HD options from a price point, but I think Amazon still has them beat in the services and content. I'm eagerly awaiting my 8.9" Fire HD, but it's great to see a change in the competition, which benefits everyone.

[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]1440x900 in a 7" panel? Damn son...[/citation]
I'm happy enough with 1600x900 in a 14" panel. Though, I do wish you could get these panels in wired/wireless touchscreens with DVI/DisplayPort and power ports, a battery, and a WiDi receiver. I'm not sure what I'd do with it yet, but I'd find something.

So much for the rumor that the new Nooks would use Windows 8, though...

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I was excited until I read that the 7" model only has 512MB of RAM. My tablet with 1GB of RAM hits the ceiling frequently so it seems to be a weird corner to cut, especially when you are talking about how much power this thing is packing.

Galaxy Tab P1000, 512MB RAM, running Jelly Bean - thanks to Cyanogenmod. Blame stock Android, not hardware manufacturers.

$229 for the 16 GB version – note that the Nexus 7 costs $249 for the 16 GB model.

I'll happily pay an extra $20 just for the Asus logo and having a Google reference device :D

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]gidgiddonihah[/nom]I was excited until I read that the 7" model only has 512MB of RAM. My tablet with 1GB of RAM hits the ceiling frequently so it seems to be a weird corner to cut, especially when you are talking about how much power this thing is packing. I realize that they have to cut corners to get to the 199$ price tag but that seems a poor place to cut.[/citation]
the 8gb $200 model has 512mb, the 16gb $229 model has 1gb according to the kindle fire vs nook hd comparison on B&N site. I actually think this is the best 7 inch tablet in the price range. "OH BUT THE NEXUS 7...", the nexus 7 doesnt have hdmi and doesnt have expandable storage, its useless for my regular use. the nexus 7, kindle fire, and nook hd are very competitive in the price range. they take nice jabs at each other with current models. But the fact that the nook hd has expandable storage wins me over. 16gb just isnt enough.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]the 8gb $200 model has 512mb, the 16gb $229 model has 1gb according to the kindle fire vs nook hd comparison on B&N site. I actually think this is the best 7 inch tablet in the price range. "OH BUT THE NEXUS 7...", the nexus 7 doesnt have hdmi and doesnt have expandable storage, its useless for my regular use. the nexus 7, kindle fire, and nook hd are very competitive in the price range. they take nice jabs at each other with current models. But the fact that the nook hd has expandable storage wins me over. 16gb just isnt enough.[/citation]
This says it well. I don't understand the obsession with the nexus 7. If anyone other than google released it, people would complain about its lack of various "standard" features coupled with the small internal storage all day long.

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Anyone know what sort of connection the power adapter uses? For me a big selling point of the Kindle Fire was that it used exactly the same interface as blackberry which made it very convenient for charging. When I travel I just need to walk with one power adapter.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]This says it well. I don't understand the obsession with the nexus 7. If anyone other than google released it, people would complain about its lack of various "standard" features coupled with the small internal storage all day long.[/citation]
I was an early adopter of the Nexus 7 (16GB) and I've been happy with it. Though, I don't need expandable storage for my tablet (Cloud + Other Devices) and I won't be using it to play video on my TV or other devices. I think it's a "to each their own" situation.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Smart move to get these out ASAP and compete with the new Kindles.

I suspect Google, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble will all be in the tablet game for the long haul. I think it's more of a question of who can gobble up a considerable market share vs who can release some groundbreaking device like Microsoft is apparently trying to do with it's tablet.

The market for a PC-like tablet may increase, but for now they are still just media consuming devices. If the price is right and they can pretty much do all the standard things like surf the net, play games/movies, etc. people will buy them.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]donovands[/nom]Anyone know what sort of connection the power adapter uses? For me a big selling point of the Kindle Fire was that it used exactly the same interface as blackberry which made it very convenient for charging. When I travel I just need to walk with one power adapter.[/citation]

Kindles use a standard micro-USB plug which is why you can use them with other power adapters.

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]gidgiddonihah[/nom]I was excited until I read that the 7" model only has 512MB of RAM. My tablet with 1GB of RAM hits the ceiling frequently so it seems to be a weird corner to cut, especially when you are talking about how much power this thing is packing. I realize that they have to cut corners to get to the 199$ price tag but that seems a poor place to cut.[/citation]
Especially when RAM is soo cheap. I would happily pay a little extra for more RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.