Siro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Having a windows boot problem, I just built another new computer, this is my second one ever...i'm having a load problem for windows. It's a newly formatted HD with no driver for old motherboards of anything. Windows just won't load. It's going to the screen to choose how you want to load windows, however it just restarts every time. i'v tried 2 differend HD's in it, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. Everything looks to be hooked up right. I installed a new mobo cpu and ram with my old harddrive. the computer starts no problem then I get a screen,
It basically asks me to open windows in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt last known good configuration or normally. I have tried all of them and all my computer does is run with white lines horizontally at the bottom of this message and then gives me a blue screen with an error. I tried inserting the cd for windows XP in and nothing! I tried using only one hard drive the master in all its diferent configurations (slave, master, etc) and nothing.
What do I have to do?
Oh at one time it starts running these messages with multi (0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windowssystem32... HELP!!!!!. The setup is:

AMD Athlon 64 3700
Asus A8n-SLI Deluxe
GeForce 6800GS 256 MB
Maxtor 80GB HD
Corsair 1GB Memory

Also tried a Samsung 80GB HD

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
so what you're saying is, even after a fresh install on a different hard drive, it still will not boot into windows?

If any of these hard drives have windows xp on them previously, and you are trying to boot into these old installations, it will simply not work. You must at the very least run a repair from the windows xp installation disk.

Siro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Yes they have a fresh version of windows on them, it just will not load, it won't even boot from the cd on the new computer for that matter. the drive runs, but it will never load it stops after the bios and cpu check and just "freezes" there, for lack of a better term.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Do you have the jumpers set correctly on the hard drives and if they are SATA are you sure that you have them plugged into the right SATA connectors. BTW, have you checked out your bios to see how it is recognizing those hard drives?

mdalli

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
First rule of troubleshooting: you must establish blame. Just kidding.

First rule of troubleshooting: you must isolate the problem. In your case, I'd try unplugging the data cable from the hard drive and see if you can boot from the CD-ROM then. If yes, then problem lies with your hard drive.

Make triple-sure that all of the drive settings are correct in BIOS, and that boot order is correct.

Siro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
The jumpers are correct and bios is reconizing the HD. I tried two differend HD's and I get the same thing, the HD's boot on other Computer, just not on this one. I also just tried to disconnect the HD and run just the cd, windows still does not boot...

Siro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I don't believe it is a sata drive, the power connectors off of my power supply for sata are different then the ones connected.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
well the interface connections for ide are long and usually have a flat ribbon style cable. sata usually has a small connector and a much thinner cable. If it is IDE this could be your problem. Some boards are picky about cable select versus master/slave setting. I would play with the jumpers on the hard drive try it as a master and see if that works. Otherwise set it to cable select and place is on the master connection on the cable. That may be your problem. I would also make sure that the cable is plugged into the Primary EIDE connector on the motherboard

Siro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
The drive is set as master at the moment, it's connected to the primary ide slot using the ribbon cable. so, i guess it's not a sata drive. how would i set it up master on cable...not sure what your saying there. and also do u think if i just bought a sata drive it would solve the problem?

"Windows just won't load. It's going to the screen to choose how you want to load windows, "

I almost hate to ask this, but are you choosing the option within the WinXP setup the option to first partition a new drive if it is not already partitioned? (If it is already partitioned, then try deleting/recreating a new NTFS partition in whatever size you desire...)

"and also do u think if i just bought a sata drive it would solve the problem?"

I would double and triple check that you do not have conflicting master/slave jumpers on your hard drive and CD/DVD ROM drive if they are connected to same IDE port....

Ensure boot order priority initially set to CD/DVD (with a WInXP cd installed), and then describe carefully what options are displayed and which options you are selecting, and exactly at what point it is restarting...

(Sometimes people get caught in a loop, forgetting after WInXP files are copied over to hard drive to then select HDD as the initial boot device vs. the CD ROM....)

Siro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I can't even get to that part... it won't load from cd either, i have no option to format, when i try to load from cd it'll just do the cpu check and stop.

Siro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I have win xp installed on the drive already, but it won't boot to the drive, if i use the cd drive and try to boot from cd it still won't load up. all the drives are recognized in bios. the HDD is primary master, and set on the ide primary slot. the cd-rom is secondary master set to ide secondary slot on mobo. my boot config is (1)cd-rom (2)HDD.

"when i try to load from cd it'll just do the cpu check and stop."

Are you even getting a msg such as "Drive not found", or "No operating system" etc.????

are you saying it never even accesses the cd/dvd rom to even begin the XP startup sequence?

I'd check all your ide ribbons very carefully, to ensure you have not inverted one and bent a pin or anything...; with ide ribbon to hard drive removed, try booting from cd rom/WInXP disc.....

does the cd rom even spin up, attempt to read?

Is NVRAID strictly a software RAID solution from within WInXP, or are there BIOS /controller options for it that could screw someone from accessing drives to even do an initial install?
ANyone?....(Ferris....anyone.....!)

Siro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
yes the drive spins up, i'v checked the connections already, no damage... everything is being detected, HDD, cd rw, dvd rom, ect... it just won't load. and i'v tried to disconnect the HDD and just run windows from the cd, it still doesn't come up. i know the rom drives and the HDD is good because they work in other computers. the win cd is good because i just loaded windows onto the drive on another computer. is it possible the HDD is not compatible, is there something in BIOS that could be not letting it boot? i'm at a lose i'v double and triple checked all the connection, been through the mobo book probably 20 times, messed with master/slave jumpers, switched HDD's played around with bios boot configs...i'm lost. it does the same thing every time that i post at the beginning of this post:

"It basically asks me to open windows in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt last known good configuration or normally. I have tried all of them and all my computer does is run with white lines horizontally at the bottom of this message and then gives me a blue screen with an error. I tried inserting the cd for windows XP in and nothing! I tried using only one hard drive the master in all its diferent configurations (slave, master, etc) and nothing.
What do I have to do?
Then it starts running these messages with multi (0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windowssystem32"[/quote]

Siro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
alright, sry i didn't post sooner, got the problem fixed... thanks for all the help. my dvd-rom and cd-rw were set to cable select instead of primary and secondary that's why the win cd wouldn't load, once it loaded i was able to format and fix. thx guys.