Ordered VG191...

frankjp

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
Hello,

I ordered a VG191 today, should have it on Monday. I am getting a good deal with a 30-day return policy, no re-stocking fee. I was going to get the TFT-7020, but with the return policy on the VG191 being so good(I will only have to pay return shipping), I figured I can test this out and see how it performs.

I'm not a super gamer, but I did get Giants, Citizen Kabuto and Dues EX with the Audigy card, was going to see how it responded to those. Might play a DVD in there too as I just picked up some Klipsch speakers and would like to test those also.

I'll try to post a short review on Monday or Tuesday for those interested. BTW, I have a Gainward Ti500 card on an Athlon XP1900+ with 1028MB Ram. So, I'm hoping that I shouldn't be held back at all by the processor or video card.

Frank

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
Can you please tell me where is this good deal at? what kind of good deal? I am looking to purchase one also, but so far, the lowest price is $936!!

G

936 dollars is an excellent deal, esp. for a large 19-inch LCD.

Jack Burton is a great man...

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
I was tracking the price of Viewsonic VG191 hoping it will go down some! the best price was buy.com at $936, but this morning when I check, it goes up to $1296!!! after giving them a call and trying to found a answer or match price! the sales rep will only say that their Viewsonic price is link directly to the View manfacture, and that the price have gone way up! and that they will not be able to match pcnation or go back to the price showing yesterday!!

is it just BS error or is the price of big lcd start to creep up?
19in lcd for $937 does sound too cheap compare to other thru!!

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/searchresults.asp?querytype=home&qu=vg191&loc=273

frankjp

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
Well, I am getting one through a friend who works at a computer store. $936 is an excellent price, I haven't seen much cheaper. The big thing for me was being able to return for any reason within 30 days and only have to pay shipping(which is not much on a flat panel) to do so, no re-stocking fee.

It is being shipped to me out of Chicago, and I live in a suburb, so I am expecting it on Monday. I will post my observations as soon as I can...

G

I dunno why the price just shot up like that. It's still 969 dollars at www.mwave.com. Been that way for a little over 3 months.

G

So how's the LCD? I would like to see some user reviews of it....hehe.

G

June is like 4 months away. I hope you don't drive us crazy first.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
LOL, Yeah, but if the Price is right, i'll get this monitor in April...no need to wait for june..i doubt the price will drop alot..

AMD USER!!!

frankjp

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
I didn't receive the monitor until tonite, UPS decided to show up yesterday but not knock on our door.

Anyway, in one word I am disappointed in the monitor. I only have a few minutes right now so I'll make this short. I spent several hours going through Viewsonic's utilities and playing with settings to no avail. The ghosting is very evident at all times. Text was very crisp however and image quality seemed to be very nice though. I tried some games and was not real impressed with the ghosting. I am not a huge gamer, so that wasn't a big deal. I played DVD's and that looked very nice, though at times it didn't seem like it was as clear as it could be. But, I had not optimized the colors at that time. Overall though I would give the DVD high remarks. I haven't run a DVD on the CRT either yet. I will do so and comment if it changes my opinion.

Overall it is a decent monitor, but at the price, I am not real happy. Viewing angles were nice, contrast and brightness seemed nice, but I go back to the ghosting when scrolling web pages and the mouse which I just don't get on the CRT.

I just could not deal with the ghosting on the mouse pointer or on web pages. I will be returning it and weighing my options. I may just buy a nice CRT for now and wait until the technology improves or look hard at the TFT7020. But, oh the space savings was nice.

BTW, I run an AMD XP 1900+, a Gainward GF3 Ti500(which I sadly read on THG is going to see a major price drop) with 1024mb ram.

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
Wow, that's very bad! I will have to see for myself!

ghosting on mouse pointer and scrolling web page!!! I haven't seen those since the dual scan day! right now I have a Apple 15in lcd, a Envision 17in lcd,a Sony 19in crt and of course my Compaq laptop! none of the lcd screen included laptop have ghosting on mouse pointer or scrolling web page! if my Viewsonic perform as you stated! I will return the lcd right away!! it wouldn't worth $100 to have ghosting on scrolling web page in 2002!!

By the way, those Nvidia chipset video card have absolutely worst image quality in the business! I return my Ti500 within 2 hrs and exchange for R8500 due to absoluetly crappy image and dvd playback!! hopefully they improved that department with their GF4!

G

I saw a guy on the AT forums that had the exact same comments. Seems to be normal for that panel. I would definitely check out the TFT7020, you won't have the ghosting problems then.

frankjp

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
I was surprised that it was like that. I spent a few hours trying to clear it up, but couldn't. That doesn't mean someone else couldn't, but I am unhappy with the monitor. The ghosting I didn't expect at all...I saw it mentioned that someone else had similar comments. I'm just surprised and somewhat disappointed. The fact I can return it for just the shipping cost(which on 30 lbs is minor) is a relief...

Thanks

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
is this the 3 tread you have in mind?

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=679419
and
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=654877

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=688399

this guy Billrod seem to like the Compaq 8030 more although it seem he have a lot of bad luck/sensitive about lcd, he seem to return quite a few lcd after trying them out! I wouldn't want to be his retailer! :)

hey, it seem like Compaq have a pretty good return policy! perhaps you would like to order one and see how you like it, it have 20ms response time compare to 25ms av on VG191.

G

You shouldn't see ghosting if the LCD has a 25ms response time. Odd that I didn't see it at the stores, but then again when you hook it up at home it's probably different. Did you use DVI or Analog? Might be a difference in the two....

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Wow, Buddwm makes a good point, that didn't even cross my mind, DVI or Analog should make a difference in the performance of the monitor... What is Ghosting??? I never heard that Term Before..

Thanks/Rob

AMD USER!!!

frankjp

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
I am using DVI with a Gainward GF3 Ti500 card. I am going to make sure I have the latest drivers before returning it. I always believed ghosting to be when pixels blend together and it's like leaving a trail.

Perhaps the GF3 cards don't work well with these??? I really don't want to have to give it up if I don't have to and go through the hassle.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but when I scroll text on a webpage, it flashes, text changes color(example: white text on a color background flashes blue). The text doesn't stay crisp like I have here at work on a big CRT. Do I have some settings wrong? I followed Viewsonics installation CD and downloaded the latest drivers off their site. Maybe I'll pull it back out of the box to see...but those posts on anandtech.com about it were similar to mine. I think I may be leaning towards just returning it saving some money and buying a CRT for now. But, if I can tune it in to work better I'd by happy. Perhaps I'll contact Viewsonic support to see what is going on.

Oh, I'm also running XP and always in 1280x1024 Native Reolution.

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
Hey, why don't you wait a few day if at all possible, since I am getting my vg191 today, I will hook it up to my Ati Radeon DVI, see if I have the same problem you do!

your latest post indicate more serious problem then "slow" response time, no lcd should "change color" flash when scrolling!! by the way? there shouldn't be any software that you need to install? except if you want to play with internet true color!

humm. I did saw a guy over at AT that have issue using Nvidia GF3 with vg191 also!! I wonder what is going on!

frankjp

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
Hi,

Sure, that sounds like a good idea. I am in no rush and the earliest I would send it out is Friday probably.

When scrolling text on a web page, the text flashes and turns bluish. Viewsonic has an install disk that has their drivers on there. They also guide you through a set-up to adjust the colors and such. I did that and it actually got worse. It probably actually was best when I just plugged it in and did nothing.

I am going to try to give it another shot, probably Thursday as I won't have time tonite. I figure it's probably worth it to try as much as I can before sending it back...

I'll be interested to know how yours turns out.

Thanks

G

I'd like to see the results too as I was planning on buying one in June. However, when I looked at one in the store I didn't see any of the problems described, and I had them hook it up via DVI too and use the natvie resolution. But I didn't see what video card the computer was using. It sounds like a GF3 issue though, as one of the users at the Anadtech thread said he switched his to a GF2 and it fixed the prob. I dunno...??

G

Also, see if you can try analog mode and get the same problem. I wish I could test it out myself....

G

The thing is that the slower the video card the better the LCD looks in games. This is because the older video card can pump less fps.

However you guys have the G3 Ti500 and with the newer even faster geforce4 coming out it looks like the gaming with LCD's will get even worse.

We are going to have to wait for a better LCD to appear in order for it to work well with todays high fps rates.

About the ghosting. I have a logitech mouse USB and when I move it fast i notice ghosting on my CRT screen. So on the LCD its not surprising.

G

We are talking about scrolling down a web page, not a 150fps game. So techincally the video card shouldn't matter, but this is an odd one since all of these probs are with users with a Geforce3.

TRENDING THREADS