Wireless Network

pcmaster

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
hi
i'm planning to setup a wireless network at home. could someone please help me out in choosing whether to purchase a wireless access point or wireless router. could someone please help me find out the pros and cons of each. also can someone please tell me the best...or a few of the best companies i should be looking to purchase a router/access point and pcmcia from...
thanks

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
routers are only a few bucks more than AP's so if you don't have a router already I'd definitely go for a router. Netgear/D-Link/Linksys all make decent ones.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

RobertNKC

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
Go with the Wireless router (and you can get one with hard ports and wireless) I'm partial to Linksys BEFW11S4 Switch/Router/Wireless. I use Linksys USB wireless connection and have had no problems.

pcmaster

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
i looked up the Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router. On the linksys website it says that this product is "The EtherFast® Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router w/4-Port Switch" Since it is an Access Point, does this mean that i can plug this directly into my own wire-router?

RobertNKC

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
You plug your modem into it's link port. If you already have a "router" then you don't want the combo Linksys. You then just need the wireless AP.

pcmaster

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
i do already have a router. but since the wireless router and wireless Access Point are about the same price shouldnt i but the wireless router instead?

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Netgear MR814 wireless/4port router is on rebate of $20 right now with Fry's having a price as low as $48 with a net cost of $28. That is where I bought mine a couple days ago, but that particular sale is over for now. Keep you eyes on sales. It also has a good reputation in some circles.
Good Luck,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)