help noobie to OC

livingrock21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Alright, I know this has been asked before, but it's kind of system specific...

I'm fairly new to overclocking, I've messed with it a very little bit... I was just wondering if anyone could give me some basic overclocking specs for my board and my system... I'd like to just be able to over clock to 2.2GHz for now... I haven't actually recieved all my parts yet(tomorrow), and I want to get everything figured our between now and then...

-Radeon X800GTO2
-LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM Write Black ATAPI/E-IDE
-CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt
-AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
-DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

Like, I'm pretty overwhelmed right now, and I'm not even sure where to begin the overclocking process... Please, Please help... I just put together my rig a couple of days ago... Lol...

livingrock21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
by the way, I'm just trying to get to like 2.2 if at all possible... i'd really appreciate a basic cut and dry way to get those results if possible... it'd be greatly appreciated...

livingrock21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I really appreciate that, I'm still confused about the HTT multiplier(the default, because it said your not really supposed to use anything higher than that), I'm not talking about the default 9x multi... I might be getting the terms mixed up right now?!

ToxicCow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I really appreciate that, I'm still confused about the HTT multiplier(the default, because it said your not really supposed to use anything higher than that), I'm not talking about the default 9x multi... I might be getting the terms mixed up right now?!

It look like your confused about the Hyper Transport (HTT) Bus. This is the equivelant of the FSB on Intel processers. It is how the cpu comunicates with the rest of the computer. Basically, ocing it will give no increase in performance, since it is fast enough allready - it will just cause system instability.

This is determined by the formula: reference clock X LDT multiplier X 2 (since its DDR). It does not matter what the LDT multiplier is set at as long as the HT bus speed remains between 1700-2200MHZ (or even closer to 2000MHZ if you can manage)

So, it does not matter if you change the LDT multiplier, as long as the bus speed stays close to 200MHZ.

Hope this clears stuff up for you. :D

ToxicCow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
O wait, I forgot to mention, 2.2GHZ??? ONLY???? You should be able to get 2.5GHZ without too much stress with air/stock cooling with the 165 and DFI ultra-D. So long as you are patient............

TRENDING THREADS