90 degree centigrade cpu temp on startup!

the_ginger_pimpernel

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and couldn't find a similar issue to this, but apologies if it's a repeat post. I also was torn between posting this in the CPU section and this one, so again, I apologise if its deemed to be in the wrong one.

On startup from cold, my bios gives a cpu (P4 1.6gig) temperature of 90 degrees centigrade. This is remedied by a restart, sometimes 2, when the temp drops back down to the normal 27 degrees-ish.

I'm a bit worried as to why this is happening. Someone has said it may be a bios issue, and/or that the sensor is playing up. I've replaced my old fan, which was on its way out anyway, which remedied the problem initially, but now its just the same again.

Would anyone have any ida as to what may be causing this anomaly, and how to remedy it?

id clean the dust out of your system and get some fresh thermal paste onto that cpu (not too much JUST enough) and see what happens then

earlier p4s can survive and run without a heatsink and perform really slow so it might be doing that.

ToxicCow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
id clean the dust out of your system and get some fresh thermal paste onto that cpu (not too much JUST enough) and see what happens then

earlier p4s can survive and run without a heatsink and perform really slow so it might be doing that.

Did you see what pimpernel wrote? His readings were 90C on startup, from cold. I really doubt that 90C is the REAL temperature of his CPU at this time, even if it is a P4.

ToxicCow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
yeah without a hsf its a small surface area to heat up rapidly so its posible

Yes, but:

This is remedied by a restart, sometimes 2, when the temp drops back down to the normal 27 degrees-ish.

I would be inclined to say that if the temperature drops from 90C to 27C, after doing MORE work, then it is a sensory issue.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Considering the thermistor is part of the CPU, and the BIOS is likely calibrated (offset) correctly to give the right value I would say the CPU is overheating.

Very rarely does the internal CPU thermistor get it wrong.

We are talking a Pentium 4 here, and some people (above) may have forgotten that.

(You need to ensure heatsink contact and pressure on CPU is good enough, get a new thermal pad from Intel or some decent thermal compound. If the thermal pad is too thin, or not firm, or has been cleaned off it can cause this issue. Thick applications of thermal compound will not help make up for that though).

This was not a major problem with the 1.6 to 2.0 Pentium 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4#Willamette) , but occurs often enough over a large number of PCs that most techs are aware of it.

the_ginger_pimpernel

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
That's what I don't get. I've reapplied a thin layer of heat compound and ensured that there is decent pressure between the heatsink and processor, but to no avail. The case temp is showing around 27 degrees constantly, and while running (after a restart), the cpu shows a temp of between 30 and 40 degrees, even when running intensive programs such as Premiere or After Effects

I reiterate that the CPU is showing 90 degrees from a cold startup after being left overnight in a cool room. Could the processor really get up to 90 degrees c + in the short space of time between turning on the PC and the temp being displayed?

I'm right confused, me...