MegaCity DFW - 120 sec review

MegaCity DFW went gold in May instead of their predicted June launch.

This is my first Mega anything and I was expecting more trouble than I
actually got. I didn't change my settings to the suggested settings and
everything runs just fine. FS9 loads in the usual time if you are not
acceptable wait.

As for using one of these products, it is fun to look down and see what you
would see if you were actually flying over the area. Afterwards, it's a bit
of a disappointment to get back to the Flight Simulator default scenery.
I'm sure it's not technically possible in the near future, but it would be
nice if Flight Simulator could do the whole world like this someday.

I especially like their choice to offer the option of default water or the
actual aerial photographed water. You can't land a float plane on it unless
you change back to the default water which you accomplish by running a
little batch file.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/MegaCity%20DFW/MegaCityDFW007.jpg

VFR flying is quite fun. Here is a Keyhole satellite of an airport I've
flown out of in real life:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/MegaCity%20DFW/MegaCityvsKeyhole00.jpg

Here it is in MegaCity DFW:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/MegaCity%20DFW/MegaCityvsKeyhole01.jpg

They also added a couple of labor intensive little tricks to add to the
overall effects of the scenery. First, they add a fair amount of autogen
that align with the streets over the top of the aerial bitmap that tends to
give a 3-D textured effect to the ground. (Look on both sides of the wing.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/MegaCity%20DFW/MegaCityDFW009.jpg

Secondly, they manually traced over most streets with lighting bitmaps that
create an incredible night effect. It will knock your socks off!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/MegaCity%20DFW/MegaCityDFWnight018.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/MegaCity%20DFW/MegaCityDFWnight020.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/MegaCity%20DFW/MegaCityDFWnight023.jpg

As for any faults -

If you whip around, there is an occasional blurry that takes a few seconds
to resolve itself.

If you use the FAT32 file system (and I do) you only get 1 season out of the
four included. I have no idea why they have this constraint, but if you're
one of the few using FAT32 you're out of luck.

Other than that... I'm actually more pleased with it than I expected to be.

Dallas
17 answers Last reply
More about megacity review

    In article <Y53qe.1624$NX4.959@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com says...
    > Afterwards, it's a bit
    > of a disappointment to get back to the Flight Simulator default scenery.
    > I'm sure it's not technically possible in the near future, but it would be
    > nice if Flight Simulator could do the whole world like this someday.

    Unfortunately it would take several hundred CDs to hold the whole world
    at that resolution. Also, and a bigger problem, is that we're spoiled
    in the US with the easy availability of inexpensive or free high
    resolution satellite imagery. In many parts of the world (even northern
    Canada, where I fly a lot) it's not available or is very expensive (eg,
    dollars per square mile). In a number of places, such data is
    restricted to governmental agencies, since it has military value.

    Enjoy your DFW!

    /Chris T

    Yes, but I would settle for some mesh that was even remotely like the real
    world. The famous rock of Gibraltar, for example was hardly a goose bump in
    the MS default scenery. Now I have downloaded a great freeware addon it is
    excellent. In too many places the terrain has been laughably inadequate; and
    I write as a keen fan of the prog.
    --
    Cheers
    Quilljar

    Try 'Living With Technology' magazine, it does yourt heart good.
    http://www.livtech.co.uk

    Quilljar wrote:
    > Yes, but I would settle for some mesh that was even remotely like the real
    > world. The famous rock of Gibraltar, for example was hardly a goose bump in
    > the MS default scenery. Now I have downloaded a great freeware addon it is
    > excellent. In too many places the terrain has been laughably inadequate; and
    > I write as a keen fan of the prog.

    I also really like the simulator. I would settle for an accurate
    Landclass coverage of the US and Europe.

    --

    (Smiling) boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 22:08:56 GMT, "Dallas"
    <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >MegaCity DFW went gold in May instead of their predicted June launch.
    >
    >They also added a couple of labor intensive little tricks to add to the
    >overall effects of the scenery. First, they add a fair amount of autogen
    >that align with the streets over the top of the aerial bitmap that tends to
    >give a 3-D textured effect to the ground. (Look on both sides of the wing.)
    >
    >http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/MegaCity%20DFW/MegaCityDFW009.jpg

    after seeing this shot.. went up, slewed into position and took a
    similar shot on old clunker-box Sim platform.. but didn't post. Was
    hoping to `show up' your view!! { smile }

    >If you use the FAT32 file system (and I do) you only get 1 season out of the
    >four included. I have no idea why they have this constraint, but if you're
    >one of the few using FAT32 you're out of luck.

    that's odd.. what's the difference? now many MB of files? didn't you
    already CONVERT to NTFS?

    >Other than that... I'm actually more pleased with it than I expected to be.
    >
    >Dallas

    Dally,
    I would check that gas cap on the wing, it looks a bit loose to me...

    Cheers
    Quilljar

    Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    http://www.livtech.co.uk

    "Quilljar"
    > I would check that gas cap on the wing, it looks a bit loose to me...

    Ha... yeah... why didn't they make the cap more flush mounted?

    Reminds me of the time I saved a DC-3.

    Really... I was a child in Paraguay at the airfield. A Paraguayan Air
    Force DC-3 started its port side engine and the gas cap flew off and rolled
    past me. I gave it to my dad and he jumped on his Vespa and managed to get
    in front of the airplane and stop it.

    Dallas

    "Gregory"
    > that's odd.. what's the difference?

    I suspect stupid programming... nobody else has a problem with FAT32.

    Dallas

    In article <Aoiqe.2335$jX6.1137@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com says...

    > "Gregory"
    > > that's odd.. what's the difference?
    >
    > I suspect stupid programming... nobody else has a problem with FAT32.
    >
    > Dallas

    I believe the issue is that normally MSFS expects you to have separate
    texture files for each season. Since Mega is all texture files, that
    would bloat 250,000 files into 1,000,000 (and four times the disk
    space). I think they are using an ailas function which only exists in
    NTFS to use each file four times instead. Given the way MSFS was
    designed, they don't really have much choice.

    Right on the nail. In the latest incarnation of NTFS files can have more
    than one stream, in fact you can have as many as you like. A stream can be
    likened to a way of attaching a file to another file, which for seasons is
    great as the different season textures can reside with each other and the
    code can effectivelly load the same files (albiet a different stream) to
    reproduce differing seasons. There is a downside to this and that is you
    don't actually save much in the way of harddrive space and to make matters
    worse, windows explorer can't see the other streams so only reports the size
    taken up by the first stream (IE the file you can see). So your harddrive
    could be reporting 1 Gb free, when in fact it is taken up by your winter
    textures.....

    That said I do like Mega Scenery and almost exclusively fly within it.

    RobP

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 22:08:56 GMT, Dallas wrote:

    > MegaCity DFW went gold in May instead of their predicted June launch.

    Of course it went gold!
    Haven't people been going nuts over it ever since the first screenshots
    were released? Consider yourself lucky that it's your backyard.

    But it is extremely realistic looking....

    > I especially like their choice to offer the option of default water or the
    > actual aerial photographed water. You can't land a float plane on it unless
    > you change back to the default water which you accomplish by running a
    > little batch file.

    Now *that's* a bummer!
    But what happens if you land a floatplane on it? Do the floats sink through
    the MegaCity layer or do they scratch the surface?

    > If you use the FAT32 file system (and I do) you only get 1 season out of the
    > four included. I have no idea why they have this constraint, but if you're
    > one of the few using FAT32 you're out of luck.

    Now here's a stupid question!
    How is it possible that you're running Windows XP on a FAT32 system?
    I thought XP required NTFS to function properly?

    --

    Marcel (SAG-21)
    (Chance favours the prepared mind.)

    >Now here's a stupid question!
    >How is it possible that you're running Windows XP on a FAT32 system?
    >I thought XP required NTFS to function properly?

    XP does not require NTFS, although it is strongly recommended to use
    it as a file system (much more robust than any flavor of FAT)

    While I'm at it another misconception: you can access NTFS partition
    via a network from a 9x machine, even if 9x does not natively support
    NTFS, no need to have FAT32 partitions on a home network if you use a
    mix of OS.

    ===
    Best Regards
    Katy

    "Katy Pluta"
    > While I'm at it another misconception: you can access NTFS partition
    > via a network from a 9x machine, even if 9x does not natively support
    > NTFS, no need to have FAT32 partitions on a home network if you use a
    > mix of OS.

    Interesting... here is my deal:
    C: drive is WinXP FAT32
    D: drive is Win98 FAT32

    If I boot the computer using the Win98 on the D: drive, can it see and talk
    to the WinXP C: drive if I convert it to NTFS?

    Danger Puppy

    >Interesting... here is my deal:
    >C: drive is WinXP FAT32
    >D: drive is Win98 FAT32
    >
    >If I boot the computer using the Win98 on the D: drive, can it see and talk
    >to the WinXP C: drive if I convert it to NTFS?

    No, because you do not access partition C over a network, here you
    boot on D and both drives are in the same computer so W98 will not see
    the C drive... And I thought that 9x needed to be on the C boot
    partition? Or you are using a boot manager...

    Woof!

    ===
    Best Regards
    Katy

    "Katy Pluta"
    > Or you are using a boot manager...
    > Woof!

    Woof, Woof! ( see what boB has done to us? )

    Yeah, I was afraid you'd say I couldn't access the WinXP drive. So.. that's
    why I use FAT32.
    So far it has never inconvenienced me until I met the Mega people.

    To boot the D: drive I just jump into the BIOS and change the boot drive.
    No big whoop. :-)

    DP

    >"Katy Pluta"
    >> Or you are using a boot manager...
    >> Woof!
    >
    >Woof, Woof! ( see what boB has done to us? )
    >
    >Yeah, I was afraid you'd say I couldn't access the WinXP drive. So.. that's
    >why I use FAT32.
    >So far it has never inconvenienced me until I met the Mega people.
    >
    >To boot the D: drive I just jump into the BIOS and change the boot drive.
    >No big whoop. :-)

    Roger roger... And my cat is giving my "the eye" now :-)

    ===
    Best Regards
    Katy

    I see google are trialling the generation of photorealistic 3D models of
    cities, wouldnt this be nice in a future version of FS
    http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7509

    David

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:37:07 -0600, Katy Pluta wrote:

    > XP does not require NTFS, although it is strongly recommended to use
    > it as a file system (much more robust than any flavor of FAT)

    Aaaah okay....I was wrongly informed.

    > While I'm at it another misconception: you can access NTFS partition
    > via a network from a 9x machine, even if 9x does not natively support
    > NTFS, no need to have FAT32 partitions on a home network if you use a
    > mix of OS.

    Hey! I didn't say a thing! :-)

    --

    Marcel (SAG-21)
    (That's no moon...it's a space station!)

Video Games