How should I get from where I am to dual DVI

slug420

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2003
I had a previous thread called "dual DVI card" but I want to investigate my options a little farther so I figured I would start a new thread with a hopefully more descriptive topic.

I think cost is my primary concern here, I want to keep it down.

Right now I have an AGP ATI AIW PRO 9800 (DVI)

I just buoght 2 Dell 2005fpw (20.1" WS)

I have yet to play BF2 but really want to and am under the impression that my 9800 will abrely cut it IF it will cut it.

My intentions are for all kinda of crazy stuff (video editing, photo editing, all sorts of apps from visio to vmware) on my desktop (dual screen) and gaming on just one screen (cant imagine playing with my "crosshair" being between 2 diff monitors). My old schoool LCD that just broke I only used on VGA and it was pretty crappy so I am really looking forward to using both of my new DELLs on DVI.

So should I buy as I asked in my previous thread a dual DVI AGP card?
Reccomendations included:
6600GT (under the impression it will be a little better in games than my 9800 but will not be able to handle WS high resolution in games...which i assume my 9800 cannot either)

Better than the 6600GT (more likely to be able to at least handle the WS resolution) but still not excellent:
x800gto
6800gs

Excellent AGP cards that would handle all the games I want as well as my resolution with east:
X850xt
7800gs

Or should I buy a PCI video card with DVI (which one?) and either upgrade the 9800 to a better single DVI AGP card (which one) or leave the 9800 AGP?

When this is all said and done I want to be able to thoroughly enjoy playing BF2. Other games like Doom/Quake also but BF2 is the goal.

Any input you can offer me also as to how I will set my PC up to go to one screen when playing games, can I keep windows desktop available in the other? etc etc would be great

Thanks for the feedback...

slug420

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2003
I found a BF2 benchmark here:
http://www.tcmagazine.info/articles.php?action=show&id=155&perpage=1&pagenum=6

which leads me to think that it might be worthwhile to get an agp x850xt for 319 and a crappo PCI DVI card for my other one like this for only 32 bucks....only problem is then I have aNOTHER halfway decent AGP card lying around doing nothing and whenever I finally do get the $$ to drop on a new cpu/mobo/memory combo I will still have to buy another video card since the mobo will undoubtedly be PCI-E

slug420

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2003
look at me replying to my own posts :)

is there an AGP card that is as good as or better than the x850xt with only one DVI that is less money?