7600GS reviewed and available

pauldh

Illustrious
Firingsquad has the first 7600GS preview. Seems to come close to the X1600XT and have a clear advantage over the 6600GT, not bad for a passive card, but still not very good for GPU crushing games like fear and COD2.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_7600_gs_preview/

Monarch is the first on pricewatch to have it for sale; doesn't look to be in stock and shipping though. http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=190599&AFFIL=pricewatch&NR=1

$150 seems too high for it's performance IMO. More expensive than a X800GTO 256MB, and almost as high as we can buy X850XT now. Of course, has anyone noticed 6800GS prices? PCI-e versions are up as high as some 7600GT's. I hope 6800GS sticks around and drops to the sub $150 range, knocking this 7600GS down to $120 where it needs to be.

cleeve

Illustrious
I just read the review at Firingsquad.

Looks like it could be a real winner if it comes in at the MSRP of $129. It'd edge out the X800 GTO 128mb at that price, especially when you consider the core will very likely go over 550 mhz. The memory sucks, but an overclocker on the cheap will probably be able to get 90% of 7600 GT performance out of it for $130... that's pretty damn good.

The only problem is, you'd have to make due with the stock cooler. Investing $30 into an aftermarket cooler would be crazy when the price of the 7600 GT is only $60 more.

pauldh

Illustrious
At $129 it would be great for a quiet casual gaming machine. And if the core OC's well, that would peak some more interest. So would an AGP version.

Looking at that heatsink, it looks like a 80mm case fan could be screwed right down inbetween the fins, doesn't it?

unbiased4u

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I just read the review at Firingsquad.

Looks like it could be a real winner if it comes in at the MSRP of $129. It'd edge out the X800 GTO 128mb at that price, especially when you consider the core will very likely go over 550 mhz. The memory sucks, but an overclocker on the cheap will probably be able to get 90% of 7600 GT performance out of it for $130... that's pretty damn good.

The only problem is, you'd have to make due with the stock cooler. Investing $30 into an aftermarket cooler would be crazy when the price of the 7600 GT is only $60 more.
Yeah, hopefully the price will be around $130 with mounted fans. It would be awesome!

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
No AGP[/sigh} :(

I was hoping nVidia would make at least one AGP more model in the lower price ranges but apparently they think they've got their bases covered with the 6600GT, and 6800GS.

bobbydamm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2005
Just in case you may be interested I bought a BFG 7600GT OC this past weekend. It is a very very capable, kick ass card.
It clobbered my X800XL which surprised me.
7600GT scores 12,685 on 3D mark '03
X800XL scores 10,365.
What really surprises me though is the limits of the ATi card in games like The Sims 2. The Smooth Edges Slider (AA) won't allow movies to be made on the ATi card when it's on all the way. You basically have to turn it off.
The Nvidia card is completely the opposite. You can have the detail cranked and everything on, Smooth Edges slider maxed, and have beautifully detailed movies...it allows that.
And yes, there is a noticeable difference in the lack of lag in the game.
That second proc. Nvidia claims is on the card actually frees up whatever causes the lag, and there is no stutter at all.
The ATi card just seemed taxed when pushed, and would jitter.
Hate to say it and I wasn't sure I'd keep it ( have 21 days return...)
but the 7600GT is a helluva performer for a 128 path card
I think I'm the 1st buyer in Charlotte, but the others will catch up soon
(I really did search it out. I had to inform the mgr. at Comp USA that he had it in stock per the website. He didn't even know.)
BFG 7600GT OC sells for the same price as the 6800GS at Comp USA currently $249.

TRENDING THREADS