Spreadsheets

Hello,

I have some data on floppy discs in EXEL format. My new
computer with Windows XP does not have the EXEL software
included, and unfortunately I have not got the original
EXEL disc. Is there anyway that I can load my EXEL floppy
disc data into the the XP word programme and transfer the
data to the works spreadsheet programme. Obviously I do
not wish to purchase new EXEL software.

Thanks in anticipation,

Gerry Taylour
11 answers Last reply
More about spreadsheets

    "Gerry Taylour" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in news:619101c4928b$0b69a980$a301280a@phx.gbl:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have some data on floppy discs in EXEL format. My new
    > computer with Windows XP does not have the EXEL software
    > included, and unfortunately I have not got the original
    > EXEL disc. Is there anyway that I can load my EXEL floppy
    > disc data into the the XP word programme and transfer the
    > data to the works spreadsheet programme. Obviously I do
    > not wish to purchase new EXEL software.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation,
    >
    > Gerry Taylour

    Microsoft has a download for their Excel viewer. Obviously this is
    read-only. go to http://snipurl.com/2k2s.

    I believe OpenOffice's Calc will read Excel files. However, if they
    have been password-protected using Excel then you need to get them
    unprotected in Excel before Calc can read them. OpenOffice is free; go
    to http://www.openoffice.org. I haven't used it yet. I still have MS
    Office XP at home and haven't had a need to upgrade to the latest
    version (no bang for the buck), and I might end up going to OpenOffice
    for home use (since MS Office is too much a hit on my pockets for
    personal-use software). We are locked in at work to use MS Office (but
    then I'm not paying for it and it makes sense to focus on one software
    suite so Tech Support can focus and garner experience on a limited range
    of software).

    Hi Gerry

    There is an Excel Viewer available, but you won't be able to edit the
    spreadsheets without buying Excel:

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010449811033.aspx

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Gerry Taylour" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have some data on floppy discs in EXEL format. My new
    > computer with Windows XP does not have the EXEL software
    > included, and unfortunately I have not got the original
    > EXEL disc. Is there anyway that I can load my EXEL floppy
    > disc data into the the XP word programme and transfer the
    > data to the works spreadsheet programme. Obviously I do
    > not wish to purchase new EXEL software.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation,
    >
    > Gerry Taylour

    Definitely get Open Office instead of the EXCEL reader, as you might like
    its other capabilities. Not only is it free, but it can read/save several
    older files formats that MS Office can not. However, it is a large
    download, so if you do not have a high=speed connection, find a friend that
    does, then transfer the installer via CD, pen drive, etc.

    "Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Definitely get Open Office instead of the EXCEL reader, as you might like
    > its other capabilities. Not only is it free, but it can read/save several
    > older files formats that MS Office can not. However, it is a large
    > download, so if you do not have a high=speed connection, find a friend
    that
    > does, then transfer the installer via CD, pen drive, etc.

    or, there are usually several magazines that have Open Office on the cover
    CD.......

    Hi- I'm new to this, my friend from back east sends me spreadshets in Excel,
    I am trying to figure out how to open them. I have Windows xp on my computer.
    Can you tell me what to download and will it goof up anything?

    hondo49

    In news:98BCDC7B-6B59-4E3B-8B86-48C8B384C8EB@microsoft.com,
    hondo49 <hondo49@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Hi- I'm new to this, my friend from back east sends me
    > spreadshets in
    > Excel, I am trying to figure out how to open them. I have
    > Windows xp
    > on my computer. Can you tell me what to download and will it
    > goof up
    > anything?

    To open a file, you need to have the appropriate program
    installed. Basically in your case that's Excel.

    However, there are several other spreadsheet programs that are
    compatible with Excel and can open Excel files, such as Quattro
    Pro.

    If you don't have one of these, you can download the free
    Microsoft Excel viewer at
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/CD010225881033.aspx

    or http://tinyurl.com/4nln7

    That will let you view, but not create or modify, Excel files.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    this is a suite that has an excel compatible program that will let you edit
    those files
    it is free for personal use

    http://www.software602.com/products/pcs/download.html

    "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > this is a suite that has an excel compatible program that will let you
    edit
    > those files
    > it is free for personal use
    >
    > http://www.software602.com/products/pcs/download.html

    > > In news:98BCDC7B-6B59-4E3B-8B86-48C8B384C8EB@microsoft.com,
    > > hondo49 <hondo49@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > >
    > >> Hi- I'm new to this, my friend from back east sends me spreadshets in
    > >> Excel, I am trying to figure out how to open them. I have Windows xp
    > >> on my computer. Can you tell me what to download and will it goof up
    > >> anything?
    > >

    > > To open a file, you need to have the appropriate program installed.
    > > Basically in your case that's Excel.
    > >
    > > However, there are several other spreadsheet programs that are
    compatible
    > > with Excel and can open Excel files, such as Quattro Pro.
    > >
    > > If you don't have one of these, you can download the free Microsoft
    Excel
    > > viewer at
    > > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/CD010225881033.aspx
    > >
    > > or http://tinyurl.com/4nln7
    > >
    > > That will let you view, but not create or modify, Excel files.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the newsgroup

    you can download an Excel viewer (also a powerpoint viewer) from Microsoft.
    I googled it 'excel viewer' and it was the first link.

    In news:Oz$rFwJ5EHA.1668@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Brian Gotjunk <briangotjunkGARBAGE@yahoo.com> typed:

    > "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    >> this is a suite that has an excel compatible program that will
    >> let
    >> you edit those files
    >> it is free for personal use
    >>
    >> http://www.software602.com/products/pcs/download.html
    >>

    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > In news:98BCDC7B-6B59-4E3B-8B86-48C8B384C8EB@microsoft.com,
    >> > hondo49 <hondo49@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    >> > To open a file, you need to have the appropriate program
    >> > installed.
    >> > Basically in your case that's Excel.
    >> >
    >> > However, there are several other spreadsheet programs that
    >> > are
    >> > compatible with Excel and can open Excel files, such as
    >> > Quattro
    >> > Pro.
    >> >
    >> > If you don't have one of these, you can download the free
    >> > Microsoft Excel viewer at
    >> > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/CD010225881033.aspx
    >> >
    >> > or http://tinyurl.com/4nln7
    >> >
    >> > That will let you view, but not create or modify, Excel
    >> > files.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >> > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >> >

    > you can download an Excel viewer (also a powerpoint viewer)
    > from
    > Microsoft. I googled it 'excel viewer' and it was the first
    > link.

    Please read the message you are replying to, including the quoted
    material. If you read up a few lines above this one, you will see
    that in my reply I sent a link to that free Excel viewer.

    > In news:Oz$rFwJ5EHA.1668@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Brian Gotjunk <briangotjunkGARBAGE@yahoo.com> typed:
    >
    > > "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> this is a suite that has an excel compatible program that will
    > >> let
    > >> you edit those files
    > >> it is free for personal use
    > >>
    > >> http://www.software602.com/products/pcs/download.html
    > >>

    > >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    > >> message

    > > you can download an Excel viewer (also a powerpoint viewer)
    > > from
    > > Microsoft. I googled it 'excel viewer' and it was the first
    > > link.
    >

    > Please read the message you are replying to, including the quoted
    > material. If you read up a few lines above this one, you will see
    > that in my reply I sent a link to that free Excel viewer.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    oops - I missed it - sorry

    In news:%23qhVD4P5EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Brian Gotjunk <briangotjunkGARBAGE@yahoo.com> typed:

    >> Please read the message you are replying to, including the
    >> quoted
    >> material. If you read up a few lines above this one, you will
    >> see
    >> that in my reply I sent a link to that free Excel viewer.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    > oops - I missed it - sorry

    OK, not a big problem. We all do it from time to time.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Floppy Disk Windows XP Software