Sign in with
Your question

Intel Fanboys still waiting for Conroe

Last response: in CPUs
March 22, 2006 3:33:06 PM

But even when the Intel CPU is overclocked at 4.26 GHz, the dualcore Athlon 64 FX processors still offer better results for most applications. Sure, the new Extreme Edition CPU is competitive, but it does not outperform the Athlon 64 FX-60, even at 3.73 GHz.

Costs a grand too..
March 22, 2006 3:36:44 PM

So? Conroe will most likely kill a FX 60 or FX 62 so my fanboyish hopes lie on it's succes. You shouldn't have expected much from 965. Net Burst already passed it's limits. More clock speed and things will get too hot even unstable.
March 22, 2006 3:38:28 PM

I will give the conroe a fair shake when it's released. I think the delay of Vista is hurting everyone on the hardware side right now.
Related resources
March 22, 2006 4:09:39 PM

Vista? Not on my plans though i would consider purchasing it if it really doesn't screw up my performance. I heard about it that it will most likely consume a lot more of the GPU than XP "did". I hope it limits itself only to times were i'm in the desktop,not while i'm playing games.
I am eager to see some Conroe benchies too. While i consider the IDF/AT benchies somewhat reliable i still can't say for certain that it will be the breakthru shown in the review without watching some neutral benchmarking.
March 22, 2006 4:22:45 PM

Quote:
But even when the Intel CPU is overclocked at 4.26 GHz, the dualcore Athlon 64 FX processors still offer better results for most applications. Sure, the new Extreme Edition CPU is competitive, but it does not outperform the Athlon 64 FX-60, even at 3.73 GHz.

Costs a grand too..

lolz nice topic... and so true..
i guess conroe is the only last hope for intel fanboyz.. i wonder what will happen if conroe performs less then claimed at IDF...
would be an amazing sight man... XD
March 22, 2006 4:34:31 PM

I am hoping to dual boot between Vista and SUSE. KDE 4 is releasing in the fall time frame. I want to wait until the software is out as well as the benchmarks on the hardware before I build my next box.
March 22, 2006 4:34:58 PM

Not really, performing less by what margin,now that's what matters. If it performs 5% weaker than in the tests it will still beat AMD.
March 22, 2006 4:36:29 PM

Not to mention that the CPU reviewed was a mainstream one while nothing better than FX 62 will come untill 2007.
At 3 GHZ Conroe lead would be even more breath taking.
March 22, 2006 4:38:26 PM

Leaving the fanboyism behind, yes i'll do the same. My rig is kinda outdated and upgrading it would be a waste.
So let's wait and see, Nothing good can come from speculation.:wink:
March 22, 2006 4:40:00 PM

We shall see when it's released. When there is this heated competition between Intel and AMD, we all win.
March 22, 2006 4:45:17 PM

Nice thread you have there.

I've being telling this a while ago:
Intel's EE is a joke. :lol: 

FX60 beats it with no fuss and still consumes less power (and this is with 90nm process).

...And for Conroe, I wouldn't be so excited about it. It's good to have something different from Intel that SHOULD work the way it should, but still I don't see Conroe beating AMD.
March 22, 2006 4:51:19 PM

I hope Conroe is as good as they claim. AMD will be forced to up the ante. When these 2 makers are in a heated competition, we are all winners. Just like the Nvidia and ATI wars, I hope things heat up and prices drop out the bottom on ALL CPU's. Fanboy? I'm a fan of performance, I'm loyal to performance.
March 22, 2006 4:54:07 PM

You've got that right !!!!!!!!!!!
March 22, 2006 4:56:44 PM

Yay, another fanboy thread filled with noobs.
March 22, 2006 5:08:42 PM

Noob? Maybe as registered but I was reading Toms, Sharkey and Anandtech long ago. I have been building pc's since the PII hit the markets. Noob? I don't think so. I suppose you were never a "noob"? :roll:
March 22, 2006 5:16:32 PM

and you post this up because you think you're the biggest one in this thread?
March 22, 2006 5:18:09 PM

No because you're all morons.
March 22, 2006 5:19:23 PM

Out of the mouths of babes........and yet, he joins our moronic thread.
March 22, 2006 5:20:03 PM

I'm not planning on "upgrading" :roll: to Vista anytime soon either.
I got it running on my computer now, and its just a laggy version of windows XP.

haha you bet we're all waiting for conroe.
After all the jokes about presshot, you amd fan boys are gonna get it. :twisted:
March 22, 2006 5:20:30 PM

Quote:
No because you're all morons.

and according to your logic, you're one moron too?
March 22, 2006 5:21:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not planning on "upgrading" :roll: to Vista anytime soon either.
I got it running on my computer now, and its just a laggy version of windows XP.

sigh... vista is again delayed into 2007, and probably will delay again...
probably i'll never see my next rig before M$ releases Vista
March 22, 2006 5:25:27 PM

Quote:

You're not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.
March 22, 2006 5:26:45 PM

Quote:

You're not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.
but i'm sure i'm not the dullest.. .cuz someone already claimed that
March 22, 2006 5:31:48 PM

Oh but you are the dullest. Be proud of it.
March 22, 2006 5:39:59 PM

I'd take a 965EE over an FX-60.
March 22, 2006 5:42:35 PM

It looks like Intel Fanboys are coming out of the closet !!
As for running KDE, OSX, etc, I will rather do that in in a Vista VM window instead of a multi-boot system.

The only thing needed to make me Linux forever was having good games run on Linux. To bad that never happend. Maybe have the OSX be 100% Linux, not just "Linux-like" can help boost Linux stuff.
March 22, 2006 5:46:37 PM

Quote:

humm.. i know i'm the dullest, but not when you are around.
March 22, 2006 6:12:21 PM

lol i also noticed the conroe has beaten the xeons... wouldn't that be a little "weird" for intel to launch a better product on a home market than on the commercial market ?

oh and opterons are still before the conroe so...
it's not the best

i doubt conroe will be as good as announced.

every tests shows it beats fx-60 in dual core operation... and that's why EVERY games were run with max resolution, max details AND dual monitoring... i'm certain that cpu won't give anything if running without the proper multitask applications.

intel worked alot with hyperthreading and multitask operations.
they know how to optimize a cpu for it
amd worked at virtualization and this will rock any form of multitasking.
March 22, 2006 6:39:40 PM

This is my first post in these forums but I've visited this website for years. First of all I will say I'm not a fanboy of either brand all I want is the best hardware I can buy at the best price. I currently have a computer that I built myself and am currently in the process of building another. The computer I have now is an AMD system, what path I'm going to take with the one I'm building is still up in the air.

It consits of a Lian Li pcv1000 black windowed case with an Antec Neo 550 watt power supply, 3 hard drives two 100 gb sata maxtors, 150 gb raptor, and a dual layer burner. I'm holding out on a dx10 graphics card and trying to decide between AM2 and Conroe.

I am very excited about conroe and hope it lives up to the benchmarks that have been posted around the web. The only thing that worries me about Intel is everytime they roll out a new processor you have to get a new motherboard. AMD has been much better about supporting new processors with current available chipsets. It will be a tough decision for me to make, and probably for others as well. When AM2 and Conroe are out I will make my decision based on if Intel's conroe is really as good as Intel claims, and weigh that against knowing I will probably have more of an upgrade path with the AMD based system.

It will be a very hard decision I am sure.
March 22, 2006 6:47:59 PM

The price may drop on one of these now.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Presler-2GHz-st...

Nothing AMD has can or will compare @ that speed. Netburst can still kick A$$ when you let it breath with enough FSB. Any wonder why the Conroe is going be a 1.33Ghz FSB and it's not netburst? :wink:
March 22, 2006 8:02:13 PM

Quote:

Now that's a bulletproof comeback, definately on par with I know you are but what am I? :roll:
March 22, 2006 9:05:07 PM

Quote:

Now that's a bulletproof comeback, definately on par with I know you are but what am I? :roll:

If you want to flame each other, please start your own thread.
March 22, 2006 9:23:09 PM

Nah I'm done with him, besides this thread was already stupid enough.
March 23, 2006 5:18:41 PM

What world are you living in? You are living a lie if you can't believe evidence! 8O
March 23, 2006 5:33:23 PM

Quote:
What world are you living in? You are living a lie if you can't believe evidence! 8O

Evidence is what we are waiting for from Intel.
March 23, 2006 6:13:42 PM

Quote:

Costs a grand too..

I disagree with you posting in this fashion. Of course Intel fanboys are waiting for the next big thing. I sick of looking at the same FX-60 benchmarks and I'm waiting for the next big thing from AMD.

What's up with the immature "AMD pwns Intel" junk? The fact is that even though AMD has an edge with their FX-60 it is a very small edge. AMD is superior by a matter of a few frames per second, they are not blowing Intel out of the water.

If Intel delivers the numbers they have promised it will be enough to convert those of us who are truly performance fanboys over to Intel. However, if Intel fails to deliver or if AMD turns it up a notch I think you'll see some Intel boys starting to buy AMD.

Also, you describe Conroe as costing over $1000, NOT TRUE. The Conroe we saw benchmarked will be in a reasonable price range ($300-$500 I believe). They will have other, faster processors that will cost more than the 2.66ghz one we saw.
March 23, 2006 6:50:56 PM

Quote:

Costs a grand too..

I disagree with you posting in this fashion. Of course Intel fanboys are waiting for the next big thing. I sick of looking at the same FX-60 benchmarks and I'm waiting for the next big thing from AMD.

What's up with the immature "AMD pwns Intel" junk? The fact is that even though AMD has an edge with their FX-60 it is a very small edge. AMD is superior by a matter of a few frames per second, they are not blowing Intel out of the water.

If Intel delivers the numbers they have promised it will be enough to convert those of us who are truly performance fanboys over to Intel. However, if Intel fails to deliver or if AMD turns it up a notch I think you'll see some Intel boys starting to buy AMD.

Also, you describe Conroe as costing over $1000, NOT TRUE. The Conroe we saw benchmarked will be in a reasonable price range ($300-$500 I believe). They will have other, faster processors that will cost more than the 2.66ghz one we saw.

That's the same thing I read ~$500 for the baddest Conroe. I was just about to convert to AMD until I saw the price of the Conroe. I may still convert if I run out of patience.
March 23, 2006 7:18:40 PM

for another review with of the same thing, look to andandtech.com

There the Intel cpu is painted to look near as bad as here at Tomshardware.
March 24, 2006 11:39:29 AM

Quote:

Costs a grand too..

That's the same thing I read ~$500 for the baddest Conroe. I was just about to convert to AMD until I saw the price of the Conroe. I may still convert if I run out of patience.

Ummm this was about the 3.73 EE chip which is supposed to hold you over until conroe's release not about conroe.
March 24, 2006 8:21:47 PM

Respect to whoever downvoted me and upvoted that moron viperabyss. :lol: 
March 24, 2006 10:57:14 PM

where are the results to prove your statements? We have discussed this ad naseam, here is the article from anandtech, I do not know if this is the revised version, either way here it is

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713

Pricing of Conroe is estimated at 500, 315, 241, 189.
Face it Intel came out with a good product as far as we can tell, quite the flamboy crap, I do not want a repeat of the first couple days after Conroe results came out.
March 24, 2006 11:19:10 PM

Quote:

Not tryin to harm u or something, but have u ever said something interesting on these forums? Because all of your replies I've seen is to insult people or sayin sh*t. All of them are empty posts. Sorry.
March 24, 2006 11:27:16 PM

Try looking, it might, just might help.

I guess that was an insult too. Oh well.
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2006 11:45:59 PM

is it just me or this AMD fanboy doesnt know what conroe is?

Conroe will smash AMD's prices down so we can all get a FX60 at mid range prices have a think bout it - no matter how you put it, performance of either a P4 or A64 are around the same area, bang for the buck matters more.

Is there some kind of keyboard virus here or something? spewing bs all over the web like a fanboy virus, dam morons.
March 24, 2006 11:51:13 PM

You're calling me an AMD fanboy?
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2006 12:18:31 AM

oh sorry hit reply on you lol nah you not a fanboy

ausie ausie ausie
March 25, 2006 12:32:32 AM

Fair enough.
March 25, 2006 3:05:30 PM

So much flame so little input
March 26, 2006 7:10:12 PM

Quote:
Yay, another fanboy thread filled with noobs.

So what...
!