Sign in with
Your question

What do you guys think of the Easy Computer Builder?

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2006 3:56:29 PM

Hey guys,

I was part of a team that helped design the Easy Computer Builder for Jinglehorse.net. I was wondering if some people would be willing to give it a try and let me know what you think. I would appreciate any constructive feedback. It's a new idea and I hope it catches on. We designed it for people who want to design their own system but don't neccesarily have the time/experience to build it. We also provide a warranty for the custom system. Here is a link to the builder:

http://www.jinglehorse.net/build.php?b=2
March 22, 2006 4:06:55 PM

Nice looking site, but it's hardly a new idea. Novatech had a system builder at least 4 years ago!

Was also surprised that the only AMD motherboard it offered me was a Micro-ATX MSI one, even though I'd picked a full-size case. 8O To add to the embarassment, the blurb at the side raves about how Asus motherboards are best for AMD. Why don't you sell them then, eh? :roll:

It's this kind of lack of attention-to-detail that immediately puts me off a supplier.
March 22, 2006 4:11:35 PM

Advertising is not allowed on this forum. Please edit your links.
Related resources
March 22, 2006 4:16:37 PM

I really don't see how this could be categorized as advertising. I spent months designing a website and now I'm looking for feedback on my work. What is the problem?
March 22, 2006 4:17:27 PM

You may as well let him advertise - the site isn't very good anyway! :lol: 

j/k :wink:
March 22, 2006 4:23:08 PM

its a good tool for the absent minded

but its just a shame there options are super limited, and are way overpriced

someone needs to create a custom built computer company and use Newegg as there supplier... infinte possibilties at knock out prices
March 22, 2006 4:27:25 PM

Crazypyro,

Could you ellaborate on your comment that it is a good tool for the absent minded?
There are two problems with using Newegg as a supplier for a company: #1 there is no way to support that many configurations due to the fact that every component has its own quirks and excentricities, and #2 you couldn't make any money doing it.
March 22, 2006 4:28:35 PM

Aaah, had another play and found out that it limited my selection because I'd clicked "basic" to start instead of "gaming". 8)
March 22, 2006 4:38:54 PM

by adsent minded i mean people who want a custom system and aren't technically inclined who also don't know 100% what they want, or know 100% what parts they need, but they know what they want to use there computer for. all computer companies offer some type of builder, name some are more customs than others, just none i've seen take the approach at the beginning of what type you want gamer, HTPC, etc...

Well using Newegg has a supplier can have entire topic to itself, not sure how much newegg profits off its sales, so i cant really say if they'd give a discount for being a builder or what. And support is easy to do, you just need to know how to word things :evil: 
March 22, 2006 5:01:02 PM

Quote:
by adsent minded i mean people who want a custom system and aren't technically inclined who also don't know 100% what they want, or know 100% what parts they need, but they know what they want to use there computer for. all computer companies offer some type of builder, name some are more customs than others, just none i've seen take the approach at the beginning of what type you want gamer, HTPC, etc...

Well using Newegg has a supplier can have entire topic to itself, not sure how much newegg profits off its sales, so i cant really say if they'd give a discount for being a builder or what. And support is easy to do, you just need to know how to word things :evil: 

The answer is NONE. No discounts. Neweggs service has slipped in the past 2 years or so and they have NO tech support. Most items will need to be sent back to the manufacturer, not Newegg. Read the disclaimers.
Order 10 modems and you'll be charged for shipping on all 10, even though they can all be sent together. Also, states where Newegg has a shipping center, they add tax. By the time you figure all this in, Neweggs about average.
Several sites come to mind that offer system configuration, but there are many combinations, both pro and con, that most people just can't know about or understand.
March 22, 2006 5:12:50 PM

well, I'll give you as constructive a critique as I can:

The site is well layed out, like the lack of bling that some site do. (that stuff gets annoying)

While I could navigate decently, I knew what I was after. Some of the shoppers that might go there might find that the minimalist buttons and pseudo-tabs are too "hidden" and not find what they need. This of cours is more of a design issue than functionality. I like it but n00bs may get lost.

I think that even though you take card of the dependencies of the hardware choices, a user still needs to know what they are looking for. ex: if i want to build a system for games and do not even know what a cpu IS let alone intel or amd, then how can I intelligently pick one, even from the selections you give? You have the "selection guide" on the side, but that is alot of text... perhaps highlight some "suggestions" or give a simple/short guide with the option to read the longer text?

Overall, not a bad site. decent builder app and not "horrible" prices, and my current system using your site was competitive w/ other system builders online for price. (I built mine myself much cheaper of course, but I have no support/warrany...)
March 22, 2006 5:59:27 PM

sojrner,

Thanks for the feedback. I think that your idea about short "suggestions" is a good one. I'm happy to see that you found the prices to be competitive, as well. Are there any features that you would add to make it more attractive to people like yourself who do know what they are doing as far as building a system is concerned?
March 22, 2006 6:18:04 PM

haha, to get others "like me" you would have to sell stuff at newegg prices and let us put it together... not trying to sound like a jerk, but that is just what "we" like to do. Putting it together is where most of the reward is for someone like me. That and tweaking it when it is running. :D 

Not sure that you would get someone like me, but for someone that appreciates good hardware and swank systems (read: "boutique system") then perhaps put some intro pics of your artwork emblazoned systems on the gaming choices. something to show off how "cool" the system can be. Those type of ppl may like to have it all done for them. Maybe point out what the gamer is getting for the extra $ spent over building it himself? (like warranty/support/software/games/extra bling?) Some sites have free games or someting that gets the attention and shows that the $ does get something extra... dunno, it may work...
March 22, 2006 6:47:31 PM

it is nicely laid out lots of information definitely help to the technically inclined

i will add there prices weren't as bad as i originally thought... after building a few systems there, then building the exact same on newegg and over at ibuypower.com... jinglehorse systems were on average for me about 400 over the cost to build it myself, or ibuypowers cost, this includes shipping

and KWH when you are a builder and you have a supplier they discount parts for you/your business, not as a consumer... but thats if newegg would even agree to be your supplier... like i said this is an entirely different topic and has no business in this thread
March 22, 2006 7:14:33 PM

It's nice enough...good design, nice layout, fair to easy navigation, good use of links...not too impressed with the products tho...looks like it's targeting the boutique crowd...better suited as an alternative to Dell or something off the shelf from CompUSA or BestBuy... not a site that I would use as a gamer and enthusiast...a bit pricier than I could get by shopping around...where's the 939/940 dual core 1xx opterons? Why MSI boards? What brand is the memory?
March 22, 2006 7:40:22 PM

good point on the memory brand, and timings and all the deep tech info is important to an enthusiast.
March 22, 2006 11:33:20 PM

Site looks nice, professional, and most importantly clean. Nice color scheme. My critiques are this.

The tabs with the check boxs need to be changed, the check box makes a person think they have to click on that, when in fact they dont. Get rid of the hand on the select option box when your on the select option page, I spent a few seconds wondering why in the hell nothing was happening before I realized I was allready on the page. Need more processors, almost no one will buy an intel for gaming until the conroe comes out. Need more mobo and graphics card, you dont even have a 7 series, options. Something besides liteon and plextor for DVD drives, this is a person preference so discard it if you want too.

All in all its just a matter of there not being a great selection. No AMD, few choices in mobo, or GPU. Makes it hard for me to use to compare to a possible system I might build. If you changed this then you would have a top notch website.
March 23, 2006 3:55:34 PM

k2000k,

Thanks for taking the time to take a look at the site. I am going over your suggestions right now with another member of my team. We'll figure out how we want to incorporate them into the site. Thanks again.
!