XP/SP2 problem - missing gifs.

I just upgraded my XP Pro to SP2. Everything worked flawlessly.
It did go through and reset a lot of my customizations, especially
in IE.

Here is the problem.
My wife went to her school district web site to download this
year's calendar. It would not print across my network ( an issue
that has been fixed). At the time, I said "no problem", I'll just
print it from my computer.

I went to:
http://www.okcps.org/calendar/index.htm

her computer shows a clickable link under the text that says:
District Calendar, It also shows the clickable logo for Acrobat
under the text which says click on the link to acquire Adobe. . .
.. .

When I go to the same site I do not get either clickable link.
When I click properties at the link on her computer, it tells me
they are .gifs. I do not get the links, I do not get boxes with
the little red x. I reviewed the options in IE tools. I checked
the Knowledge Base. To date I have not found a reference to my
particular issue. I would not even know I had an issue were it
not for the flukey way we encountered it.

I have reset all options/security settings/etc to default. Still
no links, just empty line spaces.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)
dgriff237@7cox.net

Try search at microsoft,type:macromedia Click on the link and
install shockwave-player,then click on thier downloads,get flash
player installed.Before you accept the installation (s),uncheck the
box in L.L. corner-install yahoo tool-bar.

"DanG" wrote:

> I just upgraded my XP Pro to SP2. Everything worked flawlessly.
> It did go through and reset a lot of my customizations, especially
> in IE.
>
> Here is the problem.
> My wife went to her school district web site to download this
> year's calendar. It would not print across my network ( an issue
> that has been fixed). At the time, I said "no problem", I'll just
> print it from my computer.
>
> I went to:
> http://www.okcps.org/calendar/index.htm
>
> her computer shows a clickable link under the text that says:
> District Calendar, It also shows the clickable logo for Acrobat
> under the text which says click on the link to acquire Adobe. . .
> .. .
>
> When I go to the same site I do not get either clickable link.
> When I click properties at the link on her computer, it tells me
> they are .gifs. I do not get the links, I do not get boxes with
> the little red x. I reviewed the options in IE tools. I checked
> the Knowledge Base. To date I have not found a reference to my
> particular issue. I would not even know I had an issue were it
> not for the flukey way we encountered it.
>
> I have reset all options/security settings/etc to default. Still
> no links, just empty line spaces.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Keep the whole world singing . . . .
> DanG (remove the sevens)
> dgriff237@7cox.net

nor

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

I don't know if this relates to your problem or not but after I installed
SP2, none of the images would show up in IE. What happens is that a small
bar comes across the top of the window, under the title bar that allows me
to click on it to show the images. See if that happens on your computer.

> Try search at microsoft,type:macromedia Click on the link and
> install shockwave-player,then click on thier downloads,get flash
> player installed.Before you accept the installation (s),uncheck the
> box in L.L. corner-install yahoo tool-bar.
>
> "DanG" wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded my XP Pro to SP2. Everything worked flawlessly.
>> It did go through and reset a lot of my customizations, especially
>> in IE.
>>
>> Here is the problem.
>> My wife went to her school district web site to download this
>> year's calendar. It would not print across my network ( an issue
>> that has been fixed). At the time, I said "no problem", I'll just
>> print it from my computer.
>>
>> I went to:
>> http://www.okcps.org/calendar/index.htm
>>
>> her computer shows a clickable link under the text that says:
>> District Calendar, It also shows the clickable logo for Acrobat
>> under the text which says click on the link to acquire Adobe. . .
>> .. .
>>
>> When I go to the same site I do not get either clickable link.
>> When I click properties at the link on her computer, it tells me
>> they are .gifs. I do not get the links, I do not get boxes with
>> the little red x. I reviewed the options in IE tools. I checked
>> the Knowledge Base. To date I have not found a reference to my
>> particular issue. I would not even know I had an issue were it
>> not for the flukey way we encountered it.
>>
>> I have reset all options/security settings/etc to default. Still
>> no links, just empty line spaces.
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Keep the whole world singing . . . .
>> DanG (remove the sevens)
>> dgriff237@7cox.net

Thank you for the reply. I do not find a bar hiding.

Can it be a firewall situation??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"nor" <wnor@comcast.irc> wrote in message
>I don't know if this relates to your problem or not but after I
>installed SP2, none of the images would show up in IE. What
>happens is that a small bar comes across the top of the window,
>under the title bar that allows me to click on it to show the
>images. See if that happens on your computer.
>
> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Try search at microsoft,type:macromedia Click on the link and
>> install shockwave-player,then click on thier downloads,get
>> flash
>> player installed.Before you accept the installation (s),uncheck
>> the
>> box in L.L. corner-install yahoo tool-bar.
>>
>> "DanG" wrote:
>>
>>> I just upgraded my XP Pro to SP2. Everything worked
>>> flawlessly.
>>> It did go through and reset a lot of my customizations,
>>> especially
>>> in IE.
>>>
>>> Here is the problem.
>>> My wife went to her school district web site to download this
>>> year's calendar. It would not print across my network ( an
>>> issue
>>> that has been fixed). At the time, I said "no problem", I'll
>>> just
>>> print it from my computer.
>>>
>>> I went to:
>>> http://www.okcps.org/calendar/index.htm
>>>
>>> her computer shows a clickable link under the text that says:
>>> District Calendar, It also shows the clickable logo for
>>> Acrobat
>>> under the text which says click on the link to acquire Adobe.
>>> . .
>>> .. .
>>>
>>> When I go to the same site I do not get either clickable link.
>>> When I click properties at the link on her computer, it tells
>>> me
>>> they are .gifs. I do not get the links, I do not get boxes
>>> with
>>> the little red x. I reviewed the options in IE tools. I
>>> checked
>>> the Knowledge Base. To date I have not found a reference to
>>> my
>>> particular issue. I would not even know I had an issue were
>>> it
>>> not for the flukey way we encountered it.
>>>
>>> I have reset all options/security settings/etc to default.
>>> Still
>>> no links, just empty line spaces.
>>>
>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> Keep the whole world singing . . . .
>>> DanG (remove the sevens)
>>> dgriff237@7cox.net

I have no problem with that site in IE 6.0, Netscape 7.2 or Firefox.
There just little "download" gifs there pointing to a pdf file to download.
Check to see if you have an option set to block pictures on
Tools/Internet Options. Also, check the pop-blocker settings.
I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro for my firewall so don't know what the XP
firewall would do.

Barbara
------------
On 9/4/2004 10:49 AM Pacific, DanG wrote thusly:

> Thank you for the reply. I do not find a bar hiding.
>
> Can it be a firewall situation??
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Keep the whole world singing . . . .
> DanG (remove the sevens)
> dgriff237@7cox.net
>

> "nor" <wnor@comcast.irc> wrote in message
>
>>I don't know if this relates to your problem or not but after I
>>installed SP2, none of the images would show up in IE. What
>>happens is that a small bar comes across the top of the window,
>>under the title bar that allows me to click on it to show the
>>images. See if that happens on your computer.
>>
>>"Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Try search at microsoft,type:macromedia Click on the link and
>>>install shockwave-player,then click on thier downloads,get
>>>flash
>>>player installed.Before you accept the installation (s),uncheck
>>>the
>>>box in L.L. corner-install yahoo tool-bar.

Barbara,

Thank you for your time. It turns out that when I changed and
reset my display settings in Control Panel all was well.

The SP2 install must have confused something for my video card
and/or driver. Simply restarting did not fix it. I had to
physically change the setting and change it back. Must be kinda
like thunking the side of the TV as a kid.