RichPLS

Champion
AMD Raises Prices?

The Opteron 165 939 will rise from $295 to $325, the 170 from $384 to $394, the 175 from $490 to $504. But the Opteron 180 939 pin CPU will drop by a fairly large percentage - from $811 to $693.

* UPDATE AMD declined to comment on future pricing plans. However, one of AMD's customers has been in touch after our original story and said the prices of the Opterons is rising because they want to stop enthusiasts buying them, and buy the consumer level chips instead.

I know this is old news, but seems like a bad idea to me,the message to your customer base.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
AMD Raises Prices?

The Opteron 165 939 will rise from $295 to $325, the 170 from $384 to $394, the 175 from $490 to $504. But the Opteron 180 939 pin CPU will drop by a fairly large percentage - from $811 to $693.

* UPDATE AMD declined to comment on future pricing plans. However, one of AMD's customers has been in touch after our original story and said the prices of the Opterons is rising because they want to stop enthusiasts buying them, and buy the consumer level chips instead.

I know this is old news, but seems like a bad idea to me,the message to your customer base.

Not really, people who buy the Opteron 64's that aren't using them for Servers, are people who plan to Overclock, and therefore, probably have enough change to fork over for the price-hike.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Or, they're trying to recoupe the losses they're going to take when Conroe in it's many forms hits the market. Could be wise foresight on AMD's part. Makin' the cheese while they can. :?:

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Yup,instead of decreasing prices on 939 AMD on some pruducts will add a little. They raised Opteron price mainly because it made the X2s and FX look pale at that price.
The same goes with Intel and 9xx when compared to 8xx though the 9xx was rather a "back to the light" for them, bringing them (almost) back on line with AMD

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Or, they're trying to recoupe the losses they're going to take when Conroe in it's many forms hits the market. Could be wise foresight on AMD's part. Makin' the cheese while they can. :?:

Why is AMD worried about a chip that the FX-60 beats? Don't think those benchies were real that either company ran, that's just poppycock.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Yup,instead of decreasing prices on 939 AMD on some pruducts will add a little. They raised Opteron price mainly because it made the X2s and FX look pale at that price.
The same goes with Intel and 9xx when compared to 8xx though the 9xx was rather a "back to the light" for them, bringing them (almost) back on line with AMD

I'm not sure what a "pruduct" is, but we'll move on..

They raised the Opties probably because maybe oh IDK..why they said they did :roll:. Obviously companies lie, but not to the extent of "Our new CPU beats urs by 40%!" oh wait....sorry..

mpjesse

Splendid
Eh... it's kind of a double edge sword. AMD is trying to stop enthusiasts to buy Opterons so they don't encounter an Opteron shortage for enterprise level customers.

If the (supposed) Dell/AMD marriage is to succeed, AMD has to ensure a consistent and smooth flow of Opterons.

I see what they're trying to do and from a business standpoint it makes sense. At the same time it sucks for enthusiasts.

Oh well.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Technically, both are good, because AMD can't make enough fast enough cuz people are buying like crazy ;).

AMD supposed to start shipping from F36 this quarter, that gives them about a week to start to make their original deadline. Fab30 is being overworked :p.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Damn, why single cpu solutions?
I was thinking should I buy 165 and should I w8 4 Conroe. Looks like I've solved the dilema, I'll w8.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
:lol: :lol: Let's ask Hector if he would be happy with 50% of his wafers yielding good die... there is no way bad yield can be good :)

Well, I did not know that 50% of AMD's Yields were bad, but I find that a little insane. At least their APM is attemping to reduce the Wafer Idle Time from 75% to 50%, they can get more out quicker. Intel has 4 300mm Fab's open w/ 3 in the works, AMD has had Fab 30 for 5 years, 1 fab vs. 4 and they're making market gains, that's pretty amazing, and AMD didn't have to pay for any of the FAB36, they borrowed the $ plus they got $600 Million from the government/local companies. It's another $1.5 Billion for the rest of Fab36, but AMD has been given the "ok" to expand the Fab if need-be without running into problems, so that's good.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Eh... it's kind of a double edge sword. AMD is trying to stop enthusiasts to buy Opterons so they don't encounter an Opteron shortage for enterprise level customers.

If the (supposed) Dell/AMD marriage is to succeed, AMD has to ensure a consistent and smooth flow of Opterons.

I see what they're trying to do and from a business standpoint it makes sense. At the same time it sucks for enthusiasts.

Oh well.

If Dell does do a polygamist marrage to Dell. Dell will just start giving them Doggystyle and AnA|_s the processers are going to become cheap and unattractive to us enthuasists, but they will suddenly seem like a Playboy pin up to my idiot COmputer lover Cousin. He don't know what Intel or AMD is but he loves my computer AMDXP 1700+ cuse it does 10X better on his games like GTA3-GTA San- Andreas than his dads new Hp 3.0 non-HT. lol how pathetic my 1.7Ghz is doing and dumping a 3.0 Ghz Hp.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I would presume a "Mature Yield" would be nothing less than 65% and as much as 80%.

Yea, it's good AMD is getting this help on building Fab36, that way they can spend more money on R&D and the such, I bet in a year or 2 AMD will vamp up another Fab for 400mm, hopefully :cry: .

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Actually, 450 mm is the next size transition, it is unlikely it will happen for a while.

Yea, forgot that 50mm :p. I read Intel has already announced plans for 450mm, but Intel of course says "In 2100, we will have -10000nm CPU's on 1 METER WAFERS!" lol that's a laugh ;).