best small business vpn solution

Hello
I need a little advice.
I have used two Linksys befvp41 routers to establish an ipsec vpn
connection between my office and home for several years now. I have had
to replace them several times due to failure.
I want to try a different solution. I was looking at the Netopia
r910s?
I would like some advice on this.
I want to establish an ipsec vpn connection between my office network
and my home network.
I am willing to purchase two routers hopefully less than $200 each.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
7 answers Last reply
More about best small business solution

    jawdoc wrote:
    > Hello
    > I need a little advice.
    > I have used two Linksys befvp41 routers to establish an ipsec vpn
    > connection between my office and home for several years now. I have had
    > to replace them several times due to failure.
    > I want to try a different solution. I was looking at the Netopia
    > r910s?
    > I would like some advice on this.
    > I want to establish an ipsec vpn connection between my office network
    > and my home network.
    > I am willing to purchase two routers hopefully less than $200 each.
    > Any help is greatly appreciated!

    R910 is an old product. They should remove it from the pricelist. Get
    the 3386-ENT. Faster, cheaper. (R910 has a 33mhz processor and the
    3386-ENT has a 166mhz). If you want a built in wireless access point,
    get the 3387W-ENT. If you want a bit faster still and a 802.11g radio
    then get the 3387WG-ENT (200mhz processor).

    Netopia routers are pretty solid. The only thing I have ever had go bad
    on me was a power supply and it was easily replaced.

    The 3386 should have enough horsepower to do encryption over a typical
    ADSL or Cable modem link at full wire speed. If you have more than a
    1Mbit upstream then you may need to consider something with a faster
    processor but for the typical home/small office it's great. Looks like
    you are likely on bellsouth ADSL (based on your ip and domain) so I'm
    guessing your upstream is 384Kbps or less. The 3386-ENT will have
    plenty of spare CPU capacity with such a low upstream speed.

    --
    WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
    Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

    Thanks Mike. I think I will try that.
    With the linksys I could establish a tunnel with one static and one
    dynamic ip.
    Can I do that with the 3386?

    We have had a lot of success with the negear FVS318 and FVS 338. The
    FVS318 is under $100.

    Mike
    Two questions on that.
    Does the 3386 have a DDNS setting that will update with dyndns.org?
    Will it allow you to enter a FQDN instead of an ip address?
    Thanks for all your help and this will be the last question!
    Thanks again!

    jawdoc wrote:
    > Thanks Mike. I think I will try that.
    > With the linksys I could establish a tunnel with one static and one
    > dynamic ip.
    > Can I do that with the 3386?

    I have even had it working with 2 dynamic IP's using a hostname that
    updates when the IP changes. It's not as reliable as it can take a long
    time to reconnect when an IP changes but it worked.

    --
    WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
    Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

    >> Thanks Mike. I think I will try that.
    >> With the linksys I could establish a tunnel with one static and one
    >> dynamic ip.
    >> Can I do that with the 3386?
    >>

    > I have even had it working with 2 dynamic IP's using a hostname that
    > updates when the IP changes. It's not as reliable as it can take a long
    > time to reconnect when an IP changes but it worked.

    If you are looking for a good solution with one static and many dynamic IPs,
    I am using ZyWALL at the static end and Zyxel VPN software at dynamic IP,
    but I know that it can be replaced with some Zyxel routers.

    Mike

    Michal Z. wrote:
    >>>Thanks Mike. I think I will try that.
    >>>With the linksys I could establish a tunnel with one static and one
    >>>dynamic ip.
    >>>Can I do that with the 3386?
    >>>

    >>I have even had it working with 2 dynamic IP's using a hostname that
    >>updates when the IP changes. It's not as reliable as it can take a long
    >>time to reconnect when an IP changes but it worked.
    >

    > If you are looking for a good solution with one static and many dynamic IPs,
    > I am using ZyWALL at the static end and Zyxel VPN software at dynamic IP,
    > but I know that it can be replaced with some Zyxel routers.
    >
    > Mike

    I have heard good things about Zyxel routers but unfortunately they are
    just too hard to obtain in Canada. None of the distributors who claim
    to carry the product keep any stock. Most don't even have an accurate
    list of products in their web ordering systems and you need to ask a
    sales person to look it up for you. I tried to find pricing and
    availability info through Ingram Micro Canada and never really got
    anywhere.

    --
    WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
    Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

VPN Routers Connection Office Networking