Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking. hmmm

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Overclocking
March 22, 2006 7:12:38 PM

So i was thinking after reading about the many overclocking stories if my rig would be able to be over clocked, i know the bare minamles of this 'art' and i also know how dangerous it can be, so i ask would i be able to overclock my rig and i also is it worth it?

here is a few details:

(temp celcius)
MOTHERBOARD:38
CPU: 33
GPU: 54
GPU AMBIENT: 39

CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name: Asus P4P800 SE
System Memory:1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter:NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (128 MB)

I would like to get some more performance out of this.

Thanks in advance!

More about : overclocking hmmm

March 23, 2006 8:39:43 AM

Use a memory divider to run RAM slower (133Mhz, or 4/6 or so), make sure you lock the PCI/AGP bus to 33/66Mhz (your chipset supports locking them, and 99% sure your board has the option in the BIOS), then start increasing FSB. Start off at 210Mhz (which will give you 3150Mhz), and see if it boots. run some stress-test stuff (Pime95, Folding@home, 3dmark) to check its stable. if it is, go and increase FSB a little more (5 or so) and repeat. When you run into problems, increase the CPU VCore a little and repeat.

Keep going in this fashion, keeping an eye on temperatures. Stop when your CPU's LOAD temp goes over 55C or so, and back it off a little.

I'm assuming you have a northwood C chip (from the age of your motherboard and your temps), so I will say don't go over 1.7V. (although you'll probably find it gets too hot by 1.65 or less anyway). Lots of people have found 1.725V is enough to kill a NW.

The idea of running the RAM at a lower speed was to take it out of the equation, so that you'd know any problems were due to the CPU, and not the RAM crapping out, so once you've found roughly the max that the CPU can handle, you can start seeing how far you can push your RAM. running it with relaxed memory timings and/or increasing memory voltage will help you get more speed out of it.

If you're lucky, you might be able to run RAM:FSB in a 1:1 ratio and hit 233Mhz. That would give you 3.5Ghz, as well as more memory bandwidth (which P4s love).

For more detailed help, refer to the stickies.... I can't usually be bothered to waffle like this, but I'm in a helpful mood today... :mrgreen:
March 27, 2006 8:38:32 AM

thanks alot chipdeath, youve now fucked up my pc!

hehe just kidding, one give you a big thanks your instructions where great so far ive got it up 3.375ghz, but im not sure im doing this ram properly. you said ideally a 1:1 ratio for fsb:ram would be really great but atm its: (3)fsb:( 2)dram so 3:2 and running at 150 mhz 2.5:4:4:8 ( i belive this is the timings, im using cpuz)

you got any ideas on what i shoudl do to get more? im still bit confuddled about what to do with the ram.

Also id just like to add that i tried 233mhz but i got blue screen of teh deathz00r, and same for 230. temps at 225mhz doesnt go above 45c

here is my cpuz page thing cpuz validation

so how much more do u think i can get out of this rig, im really interested in seing what i can do with the ram.
Related resources
March 27, 2006 9:51:55 AM

I'm sorry to say that I can't tell you $h!t about overclocking a CPU because I have a crappy proprietary motherboard which doesn't let me overclock AT ALL.

But I'm happy to say that I can help you with overclocking the video card. Download RivaTuner and have at it! Monitor the card temperatures carefully, and once you start seeing artifacts, dial back the overclock about 10 MHz. Good luck!
March 27, 2006 10:33:29 AM

Thanks, ive managed to squeeze a bit out of my graphics card:

stock:500mhz/900ghz
OC:571mhz/1.07ghz

im happy with that :) 
March 27, 2006 10:42:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks, ive managed to squeeze a bit out of my graphics card:

stock:500mhz/900ghz
OC:571mhz/1.07ghz

im happy with that :) 

Good deal, I am glad to see you are getting help :)  Sounds like you are doing well with it. Just have to "tweak" everything until you find the right settings. Then d/l PRIME 95 and run a torture test on it for a good 8hrs at least.

BTW, you meant 900Mhz in your stock quote :) 
March 27, 2006 7:09:56 PM

i got bsod whilst running prime95, i left it on. so looks like pcs not stable, damn.
March 27, 2006 7:33:21 PM

Quote:
i got bsod whilst running prime95, i left it on. so looks like pcs not stable, damn.

Check temps. Then lower overclock. You might need to run Prime95 with the CPU at stock speeds for the CPU to get "burned in". I know MadModMike did that with his gfx cards, and got another 50 MHz out of them :) .
March 27, 2006 8:24:46 PM

I have a morthwood p4 3ghz, and with just upping the fsb i got to 3.4ghz on stock hsf. stock votage 1.52, and locked the pci bus 33/66/133. with it unlocked (auto detect) i got to 3.2?ghz before having video problems

Temp under load is around 50° (after 1 run memtest and 3 runs of 3d06)
temp at idle is in the high 30's i think
I dont think i can do much more because i am not sure what else to do with my ecs 865gm mobo
I will tell you that when i was running 2 stick 512mb ram in dual channel (elixir) i could only go to 3.2ghz before post problems
I am now on 1stick 1 gig kingston value ram working pretty sweet.

This past weekend i was looking for a cpu cooler to see if i can get more but a driver problem i am having keeps me from spending any more money on this pos. so i just might try to replace the thermal compound with artic silver to see how high i can get it

I will try the mem stuff chip death talked about if i can, but i think thats for a little more advanced people
March 27, 2006 8:48:58 PM

yeh ive got mine locked at 33/66 and have it stable at 3.375ghz in games and in 3d mark but not stable in prime95, im not sure how long it was running for before it gave me bsod. i think i could get 3.4. im using a coolermaster jet 4 coper fan thing (thing that looks like a airplane jet engine) temp never reaches 50 on full load. idle is 33.
March 27, 2006 9:01:50 PM

k got it up2 3.4 booted up fine, havnt run any tests yet, but have the fsb:D ram in a 1:1 ratio so im very happy :) 
March 27, 2006 9:08:12 PM

quick question about prime95... i know its a torture test and such, but would runnin oblivion for nearly 12 hours straight be considered a torture test? (high settings + hdr) im afraid to run prime95 because temps on my poor clawhammer 3700+ got to 78C at one point =O... im going to ditch this gimp ass thermaltake silent heatsink soon for a bigggg zalman heatsink for the summer. but with my new nvidia 7800gs it heats my room up a fair bit, but the fan seems to keep the card cool, never topping 50. so what im really asking is, would u consider oblivion for 12 hours a "stress test"
March 27, 2006 9:13:07 PM

well im no expert, but i guess if its using all your cpu and vid card mem etc them i guess it is, but im sure it doesnt cover all the stress test criteria.

but 12 hours is a long time, and if you are having no problems that damn good.
March 27, 2006 9:16:22 PM

I have a Northwood 3.2 OC'd to 3.8 on zalman all copper air. I locked PCI/AGP, set FSB:RAM to 1:1, can't remember what cpu voltage and RAM voltage I set to.... I will post again when I get home - but I am sure I raised at least .025v if not more on vcore and 2.75 or higher on RAM. NW has OC potential, that's for sure. CPU tem in my case gets as high as 45 but never higher at current setup. I will try to OC more when I get a chance but things are blazing fast as it is.

You probably already has case fans out the yin yen, but I found it espcially effective in my situation...... I placed a slow spinning antec 120mm fan, around 56cfm, on the side, right over the cpu. Fan bareley makes any noise and it helps the temps out a lot!! Before I did this, temps were around 55-60ish....dangerously close to shutting down. Higher CFM will work, but this suffices for now. My motherboard is the Abit IC7-MAX3 and that board is a killer OC board. I've not had stability problems at all.

I'm not hardcore OC'er like most, I just learn fundamentals and basics and make sure my stuff works at top performance w/ out sacraficing stability. I know A64 and X2 is all the rage. But for those of us who have older stuff that still works, I can't say any bad things about the P4 NW core. My big disavantage is my video card.......a lowly, 2003 9700Pro Ultimate Ed by Sapphire that was once top of the line..... :oops: 

I personally think that rasing voltage on RAM helped the most. I have 2GB of Corsair XMS PC3200XLPRO and 2.75v definitely helped alot. I'm thinking raising it one more notch, but not sure for now. Machine been running 24/7 for weeks now. always have stability tests run in the background to make sure the machine is maxed out to ensure stability. Then I run my games ontop of that. Honestly, my machine is no slouch when it comes to the other new stuff. I hope to get 4gb on air if possible......highly doubt it, but.......Oh, one more thing, case wiring is essential, i'm sure you know that already. Airflow isn't just important to the cpu, vid, ram, it's important to all components in your machine.

I hope my two cents helps....

TTFN
March 27, 2006 9:29:16 PM

Quote:
yeh ive got mine locked at 33/66 and have it stable at 3.375ghz in games and in 3d mark but not stable in prime95, im not sure how long it was running for before it gave me bsod. i think i could get 3.4. im using a coolermaster jet 4 coper fan thing (thing that looks like a airplane jet engine) temp never reaches 50 on full load. idle is 33.

Reset to default in BIOS.
Reset your video card to default.
Leave all your voltages at stock.
Raise only your FSB to desired speed.
Raise your VCore to +100mV

Run Prime 95. Monitor Temps. If Prime will not run for any length of time, then back your FSB off in increments (I like to use 10%), each time test with Prime 95, until you can run Prime for at least 5-8hrs.

THEN, once you have the FSB established, try to run that same FSB at stock voltage, if no, then raise VCore back to :+100mV.

Once you have established the latter, then try to tweak your ram, video card and all around that one setting, (your FSB/VCore setting that ran Prime 95 good), changing only one thing at a time, run Prime, if it fails, then change settings back to where you KNOW you are stable, then try something else, until you get it right.

But you need to keep some type of control, or else you will get it all screwed up and you won't know what is failing you each time :) 

This takes time, a lot of time :) 

You may OC your video card to the moon and back, but if your RAM timings are off or your LDT or anything else is off, your machine will run like it is in LIMP MODE. You know what I mean.

It is better to have just a nice small OC, and run like a scalded dog, then to have a big OC and have errors and BSOD and not be able to honostly say your machine is stable.
March 27, 2006 9:35:13 PM

Quote:
quick question about prime95... i know its a torture test and such, but would runnin oblivion for nearly 12 hours straight be considered a torture test? (high settings + hdr) im afraid to run prime95 because temps on my poor clawhammer 3700+ got to 78C at one point =O... im going to ditch this gimp ass thermaltake silent heatsink soon for a bigggg zalman heatsink for the summer. but with my new nvidia 7800gs it heats my room up a fair bit, but the fan seems to keep the card cool, never topping 50. so what im really asking is, would u consider oblivion for 12 hours a "stress test"

Dude, buy a nice $150 water cooler... Swiftech, or Thermaltake, the best would be the FREEZONE CPU COOLER, but it is about $399... It uses peltiers, and actually cools the liquid to below ambient temps...

BUT a watercooler will get your temps down to 5-10 degrees below what you are now... Then don't run your system on Prime 95 at a high OC. Take it easy at first until you "know" your temp range :) 
March 27, 2006 9:43:10 PM

1. i move my comp, so no water cooling.
2. its stock speed/stock voltage
3. silent alum cpu cooler sucks, zalman wil drop temps at least 10C
4. im not spending 150 on a cooler
March 27, 2006 9:50:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not hardcore OC'er like most, I just learn fundamentals and basics and make sure my stuff works at top performance w/ out sacraficing stability. I know A64 and X2 is all the rage. But for those of us who have older stuff that still works, I can't say any bad things about the P4 NW core. My big disavantage is my video card.......a lowly, 2003 9700Pro Ultimate Ed by Sapphire that was once top of the line.....

Well sounds like you are doing well :)  And using wisdom :) 

And believe me I use both AMD and INTEL and they are great! Look at the OC on my PD compared to my X2 :) 

However my X2 has a more "stable" attitude in general. There are many other comparisons, won't get into it here.

Try to update the drivers for your card. Maybe it will help some :) 

Even my girlfriends onboard Intel 82845G/GL..... benefited from a new update last night, but of course she would much rather play on my machine! She has an old Compaq Presario, PRE because they knew they were sario before they even made it :tongue:
March 27, 2006 9:54:15 PM

well, do you feed your green dog? 8O
March 27, 2006 9:59:16 PM

Quote:
I'm not hardcore OC'er like most, I just learn fundamentals and basics and make sure my stuff works at top performance w/ out sacraficing stability. I know A64 and X2 is all the rage. But for those of us who have older stuff that still works, I can't say any bad things about the P4 NW core. My big disavantage is my video card.......a lowly, 2003 9700Pro Ultimate Ed by Sapphire that was once top of the line.....

Well sounds like you are doing well :)  And using wisdom :) 

And believe me I use both AMD and INTEL and they are great! Look at the OC on my PD compared to my X2 :) 

However my X2 has a more "stable" attitude in general. There are many other comparisons, won't get into it here.

Try to update the drivers for your card. Maybe it will help some :) 

Even my girlfriends onboard Intel 82845G/GL..... benefited from a new update last night, but of course she would much rather play on my machine! She has an old Compaq Presario, PRE because they knew they were sario before they even made it :tongue:
Yeah; your Pentium D overclock rocks, especially for a redhead stepchild ship with a 533 MHz FSB.
March 27, 2006 10:00:30 PM

yea, his diet is like mine, bawls, coffee, pizza, and doritos :p  (BTW its aqua teen n00b!)
March 27, 2006 10:10:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah; your Pentium D overclock rocks, especially for a redhead stepchild ship with a 533 MHz FSB.

Yeah, a stepchild with an attitude for sure!
March 27, 2006 10:27:02 PM

Quote:

Yeah, a stepchild with an attitude for sure!
I'd say a stepchild with a bottle of liquor in one hand, a can of kerosene and a lighter in the other, and a switchblade in his back pocket.

The Pentium D will kill its cruel FX60 stepmother, and then overheat in her motherboard :) .
!