where to put important info on partitioned hdd?

shockwave1831

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I have a 300g hdd, i have it partitioned in have . the unused section has 158g . what files, programs etc... are supposed to be placed there for
better protection from viruses and corruption?
THANK YOU!

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I have a 300g hdd, i have it partitioned in have . the unused section has 158g . what files, programs etc... are supposed to be placed there for
better protection from viruses and corruption?
THANK YOU!

Multiple Partitions aren't going to protect you from anything (Unless they made this special HDD that I haven't ever used in my life). Having that data backed up on an offline hard drive, will protect from Virus's and corruption.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
thanks alot! but-should I use the other partition or wait until I actually need the space?

Making multiple partitions can reduce performance significantly. I recommend using it only if necessary or get the program "Partition Magic" and make your entire disk 1 partition, and buy yourself a 2nd HDD, use it for data. When you get down to less than 25% of the disk left (such as 40GB left of 160GB HDD) performance for that drive gets VERY LOW. This is because the data starts out being on the inner most part of the platters and when you get to less than 25% free, you can go from 50MB/s to 18MB/s.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time