dose any one else have an alienware gameing desktop

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
They seem like good machines, but the name and the fancy case sure do make them cost more than a comparable system. Too rich for my blood.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I think Alienware's computers are awsome. Unfortunately, I have never owned one. One guy at school said that Alienware was a rip off for some stupid reason and that a Dell was better..... I dunno about that one but I had to disagree with him.

I like the style and the high end components, but not the pricetag. But hey, if you have the money to burn on one and don't want to build a pc yourself, then buy Alienware.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
u can buy higher end components and build ur PC for the fraction of the price of an alienware

once again
alienware - You pay a $500 premium for our ugly case
Dell - We just rip you off.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Only dumb rich kids with mom and dads money buy Alienware. They're not bad computers just extremely overpriced. I'd rather build it myself and have another $1000 in my pocket. $2000 for a midrange gaming system....but you get a cool looking case!

Circa2000

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I just built my computer. Athlon 3700, ATI X850Xt, 1 gig ram, 500W PSU, Case, Round cables and all that junk for $950 canadian.

aryohrling

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I've built all of my desktop computers. However, I was in the market for a laptop computer and I was looking at all the companies. Compaq I just won't buy, cause they are shit, same with HP, everyone I know with them has had problems and they install all the extra software which usually leads to a reformat the first day with me. So from a performance standpoint my options were Apple (because the powerbooks are very nice) or Lenovo/IBM because they are durable and reliable. When I priced them out the Apple came in way overpriced and the Lenovo came in at 2000. So I popped on over to Alienware for the shit of it, and priced out their 51m-5500 model with the 15.4" widescreen, and I could get rid of the integrated graphics for a 256MB GeForce 6600 for under 2k. I was looking for a laptop that is going to last me a few years. So I ended up buying the alienware. They were easy to deal with and the system is awesome. Runs flawlessly. Desktops I agree are overpriced, but if you're in the market for a laptop (and not a shitty one) that you need for work and whatnot, I definitely say don't throw out Alienware as a choice. Yeah, they're 17" desktop sized laptops are obsurd, but they are just that, obsurd, get a damn desktop if you're going to need that much stuff in it, cause battery will only last under an hour anyway.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I would have to agree with everything you have said. Alienware's laptops seem awsome and whatever you put in it you will get a good system. I haven't personally owned one. But if you've got the $$ for one (and don't want to build one), go Alienware. 8O 8O :lol:

CARvett2004

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Now for the owners to speak up.

Is alienware overpriced???? HECK YES
Does the service suck???? HECK YES
Is the case ugly???? No
Is it the best case you could own???? Most probobly
Is the build quality good???? HECK YES
Windows setup???? Too much extra junk, just like any other brand.
Shipping? Um, dont believe the shipping date they give you, mine shipped 2 weeks after the "shipping date" and they woulnd give me a reason why....?

Over all? If you can get past the price, and just take it as a fact the you cant get any customer service (award winning?? sure, the "No f*%#ing help" award.) It has to be one of the best cases around. 2 fans with front intake, no crazy designs. Cableing and air flow, is perfect. Alien Ice cooling feature just a tiny bit misleading... :evil:

My suggestion is if you want an alienware, just buy an Alienware case on E-bay and build you own.

CARvett2004

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006

Is alienware overpriced???? HECK YES
Does the service suck???? HECK YES
Is the case ugly???? No
Is it the best case you could own???? Most probobly
Is the build quality good???? HECK YES
Windows setup???? Too much extra junk, just like any other brand.
Shipping? Um, dont believe the shipping date they give you, mine shipped 2 weeks after the "shipping date" and they woulnd give me a reason why....?

Over all? If you can get past the price, and just take it as a fact the you cant get any customer service (award winning?? sure, the "No f*%#ing help" award.) It has to be one of the best cases around. 2 fans with front intake, no crazy designs. Cableing and air flow, is perfect. Alien Ice cooling feature just a tiny bit misleading... :evil:

My suggestion is if you want an alienware, just buy an Alienware case on E-bay and build you own.

lizardxyz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
i got the alienware in the end cost £1500 all together including delivary and montiour but well worth it, it was big effort to order it over the phone but i dident have any problem with delivary at all in fact it came early lucky i was in. i agree that it cost a lot but i dont realy want to bulid one im not realy a wizz kid at all when it comes to wires and stuff, also im dont raly care. i would also like to add that i payed for it all my self with mony i earnt took 4 months to save up thow. i got an area 51 5500 desktop with an 250 h-drive and n-vida 7800 GTX in the end i love it.

i would also like to thank every one for your coments thay have been helpful and hope more people share their thorts too

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

At first I thought you were claiming to represent the owners of Alienware, err Dell or whomever...

Anyway, I'm glad you did reply. I've got nothing against Alienware or the people that buy them. By all accounts, they are quality rigs. Some people get satisfaction out of assembling and tweaking their rigs - other people just want to buy a fast box. Alienware is one company meeting that need. Personally, I dig putting things together and trying to make them work well. I like learning what knobs have an effect on a given performance parameter.

You seem so stress the Alienware case. I looked at them recently and found a source but instead went with a ThermalTake. There are a few quality cases out there for every 50 pile of crap cases and to my eyes and hands, the Alienware was not head and shoulders above the rest of the good cases. And since I got my TT on sale and with a $35 rebate, the price comparison wasn't even close. But I do admit that little Alienware logo looks cool.

lizardxyz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
i do admint that i dident do much resurch on the cases didnt realise ther was that much out ther and the alienware laptops wher exspensive for wot u get inside them

cherrion

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I bought an Area-51 3500 last september for £1038.14. The service was fantastic and they are one of the few manufacturers who dont crusify you when you speak upgrades. My system has been fantastic and has no problems. The build quality is amazong. Dell just give you a tacky box of wires.

Overprived No you are pating for a good quality pc and fantastic service
Build quality Amazing

If you want an alienware go alienware. Please remember I am talking about Alienware UK and their service is very different to Alienware USA.
I would not hesitate to buy an alienware again and I am going to replace my Toshiba laptop with an alienware laptop. Lets hope Dell dont screw up a good company.

lizardxyz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
o ok yer all ther componants arnt cheep idowt it would be a good idea to buy thing little componants like h-drives etc from them

ProdigyMS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I always thought Alienware was way to rich for my blood. I think their way to rich for nearly anyones blood unless their millionaires or just like to throw away $5,000. When I started looking at Gaming PC's, I gathered that the extra $2,000 that they overcharge I could learn how to build a PC myself. i figured that 10 hours of research, beats paying $1,000 extra for someone else to do it, and it would take much less time for me to receive it. PC's are dummy-proof, nearly anyone can build them if they try, and it really is nice being able to say that you built your own, atleast to those that haven't or don't know how to build their own. The 2-weeks for shipping is lame, when I go to order my parts from newegg.com or any other PC site, it only takes about 3 days with their cheaper shipping. It should't take a company like that but a day to build a PC, it only takes me around 2 hours to build it, 30 minutes to install Windows XP Pro, and thats probably the same time with the rest of the people here.

Just my 2 Cents...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I just refurbed a high-end Alienware, it had, get this, AN ULTRA RARE 3.4GHZ NORTHWOOD ON AN SIS 648FX CHIPSET! What kind of company puts a $25 chipset into a $3,000 system?

Oh, yes, $3k. It was 2 years old, and you can just imagine what a 3.4C cost back then.